Accepable use of copyrighted images in portrait pack?

paol

Hi, I've created a series of portraits for BG based on fantasy illustrations. I would like to distribute them because they are quite nice.

However they are clearly based on copyrighted images. Distributing them may be ok, due to being non-commercial and using only small excerpts of the original works, but my understanding is that such exceptions vary a lot by country.

Anyway my question is, would G3 be willing to host such a mod?

--

Pedro

Pedro, like with any modding product you have produced, please feel free to submit it one of the moderators, and the gibberlings will take a look and decide if G3 will provide hosting, and what kind of disclaimers/authorizations are needed. In general it's of course better to have the author's permission.

The most (over 5000 portraits) in BG world are hosted by this site (my new fav site btw). They've been up with the third-party portraits for years it seems, without any issues. So I guess your work would be pretty stable there, also they've a fast server very fast

( Hateful/discouraging posts will come soon, gibberlings3 folks don't like my fav site blackwyrmlair.net because some other parts of it are paying but not the Portrait or Download section fortunately , just ignore their "advice" :) )

To the OP: I'm always on the lookout for good portraits so I'm very interested in seeing your pack.

The most (over 5000 portraits) in BG world are hosted by this site (my new fav site btw). They've been up with the third-party portraits for years it seems, without any issues. So I guess your work would be pretty stable there, also they've a fast server very fast

( Hateful/discouraging posts will come soon, gibberlings3 folks don't like my fav site blackwyrmlair.net because some other parts of it are paying but not the Portrait or Download section fortunately , just ignore their "advice" :) )

One has to wonder why you are so defensive of and positive towards BWL, a site you claim to have absolutely no connection to. I'm just saying.

I'd like to add that I downloaded the whole portrait pack from BWL some time ago and I found it very lacking in quality. The reason being that there are a lot of duplicates of portraits in the pack and a huge number of really mediocre to bad portraits, it gets very tedious to look through 2000+ portraits only to find a handful of good ones. But I found a few.

Oh and by the way, if they f.i. charged for access to the portraits that would be blatantly stealing (well more so than charging for IA anyway), so it's not really a much of an excuse. What "advice" are you referring to, do you think people should pay BWL for access to the forums? Just what have you to gain here?

Sorry for going so off-topic.

I'd like to add that I downloaded the whole portrait pack from BWL some time ago and I found it very lacking in quality

Errr... to me it seems they mirror on portraitcity all Cassinus portraits as well. :)

About Pedro's portraits, I didn't mean they should be mixed into the big mess of portraitcity portraits; I'm sure the blackwyrmlair folks would give a dedicated entry & page to Pedro's work. And yeah, would be great promotion opportunity for Pedro's work to have his pack hosted next to Cassinus stuff! (IMHO)

About your question:

I do have connections with blackwyrmlair as user, just I'm no owner or mod... (=> no income money)

I do like it, yes, even if you gibberlings3 folks trying to convince everyone to hate it. No, I don't think people should register for money. They just can. It's fair. Public Download and Portrait center are free, as they should be.

Errr... to me it seems they mirror on portraitcity all Cassinus portraits as well.

And that is relevant to my post how? All I can say is Cassinus portrait pack is lacking in quality for the already explained reasons.

I don't hate BWL and I certainly don't hate Sikret. BWL hosts many excellent mods like IA and TOD. I just hate the way I was treated as a player.

EDIT: Sorry jastey, will stop this now.

Cassinus is a really old site, back when the editing tools were scarce and poor, and we didn't have the portrait generators, and not the multitude of the portraits we have nowadays (i.e. post Lord of the Rings and Photoshop revolution)... For the times, they had a very complete collection, that actually had some racial choices (limited, yes, but it had them) and it was easily filterable. You also could only download each portrait one by one. Heh, times fly... I still remember one of my avatars from there, a lady in flowing grey. I guess I have a nostalgic fondness for Cassinus.

One of these days I will actually play DA, and can generate my own portrait, woot!

Archived