A request for the next release of SCS

Guest Guest_39

Guest Guest_39

Is it possible to include an option in the harder spiders component to only install the phase spiders improvements? I'd like that because giant spiders with their webs seem a bit too hardcore for me, while phase spiders (if I understand it correctly) only get better AI.

Guest Chipmonk

Yeah, this component is a tactics style overkill. Three giant spiders launch 3 web spells at you, then another 3 when they die. What is it supposed to represent anyway? The BG2 single target web would be much bearable.

Oh, and the phase spiders, while not as difficult, are equally absurd. My stealth character backstabbed one and ran away... then the phase spider teleports to Jaheira who is on the other side of the map- what???

If you ever make a new version please change these

I believe there will eventually be a new version.

But I doubt there will be any change made to the Harder Spiders component. It's hard but I don't believe it's unfair: the single spiders are balanced enough - they become deadly when they come in swarms, something that the player should avoid.

I believe there will eventually be a new version.

But I doubt there will be any change made to the Harder Spiders component. It's hard but I don't believe it's unfair: the single spiders are balanced enough - they become deadly when they come in swarms, something that the player should avoid.

Given that Giant Spiders always come in groups of three, that's not really doable. Usually, either you have a decoy (summons, etc.) to suck up the three Webs, or you're dead (case in point: random encounters with three Giant Spiders surrounding the party).

Guest Chipmonkey

This component certainly isnt fair. Compare it to the rest of the game: if one forgets to scout ahead and bumps into say Wyverns or bandits or whatever then hes going to be in a tough spot. Loosing a few party members will be probable, having to reload quite possible, but with the right tactics the battle can still easily be won. With these spiders on the other hand.. if you dont scout & use potion of freedom/summons/area effect spells then its LOL UR DEAD! Every giant spider encounter has become as difficult/tedious/annoying as tackling a Greater Basilisk. Which is not cool.

And a lot could be done with spiders:

*giving more of them a chance to web on melee attack would make them dangerous and warrant Spiders Bane its name

*the single target web shot from BG2 could be cool. Think about it. 3 spiders are gnawing at your buffed tank, then suddenly one webs your mage and starts moving towards him - SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!

*making some spiders stealthy, starting them off invisible

But pretty much anything would be better than getting raped by 3 insta-cast mage spells.

!

This component certainly isnt fair.

I'm not sure "fair" makes sense in this context.

Compare it to the rest of the game: if one forgets to scout ahead and bumps into say Wyverns or bandits or whatever then hes going to be in a tough spot. Loosing a few party members will be probable, having to reload quite possible, but with the right tactics the battle can still easily be won. With these spiders on the other hand.. if you dont scout & use potion of freedom/summons/area effect spells then its LOL UR DEAD!

I don't actually agree: I've played through several times and not found things as hard as you suggest. (Incidentally, potions of freedom are not something you need to plan to take in advance: they take no real time to take) Having said that, I'm not particularly inclined to mind the fact that if you forget to scout in spider-haunted woods, you live (or don't live)to regret it.

Regarding the suggestions: I'll think about them, though I'm somewhat resigned to the fact that some people like this component and some don't, and ultimately that's why SCS is customisable. Since I'm personally happy with this component for my own play, and since it's optional, I'm not particularly inclined to modify it simply to satisfy majority preference. (This is the joy of not doing this for a living.)

Perhaps giant spiders can use a weaker version of web? With reduced radius/duration/save penalty, so that getting stuck in it isn't the end yet. I assume spiders are not supposed to hunt armored humans, it's wizards who cast the Web spell on such targets, so it would be natural for te spell to be better than innate.

Though I don't have any particular problem with the component, for all giant spiders to shoot off webs seems a bit... disproportionate? It does make them quite dangerous, especially in comparison to their other cousins.

I like the idea of giving them a slightly nerfed version of the spell, with reduced radius or duration. That could also serve to better differentiate their own abilities from those of the player. However, I don't think such webs should give more forgiving save penalties. If anything, they should be worse, coming straight from the spider's mouth, as it were.

For example, you could give the giant spiders special webs with mere 15-foot radii, but they could have multiple uses (e.g., once per 2-4 rounds). That could not only give players greater room for manoeuvrability, but also add more spice and interest to potential battles.

[Edit] Added some more thoughts.

Guest Chipmonsieur
I don't actually agree: I've played through several times and not found things as hard as you suggest. (Incidentally, potions of freedom are not something you need to plan to take in advance: they take no real time to take) Having said that, I'm not particularly inclined to mind the fact that if you forget to scout in spider-haunted woods, you live (or don't live)to regret it.

Well which one is it, not as hard as I said or You Deserve to reload 92% for Not Scouting???

I still see this component as a complete mess.

*theres no reason why Giant Spiders should splurt out so much web when other spiders do not and are quite pitiful

*Giant Spiders become as difficult as Greater Basilisks (You can take the right potion for Basilisks too, before the spell hits, that is if you you have it/know it.) Which is not justified by any means.

*come on

*change it!

Hey I know you dont Have to do anything but this component Does seem very out of tune with the rest of the mod.

(The bandit camp fight is the best Ive had in any IE game!)

Well which one is it, not as hard as I said or You Deserve to reload 92% for Not Scouting???

Both. I don't think not scouting leads to a near-automatic reload (I find the multi-spider random encounter difficult but survivable). But I also don't mind that not scouting is severely penalised.

*theres no reason why Giant Spiders should splurt out so much web when other spiders do not and are quite pitiful

Point taken. I'll add web use for other spiders too. :) (If you look above, I've already noted that I'm sympathetic to reducing the size of the web effect.)

Giant Spiders become as difficult as Greater Basilisks (You can take the right potion for Basilisks too, before the spell hits, that is if you you have it/know it.) Which is not justified by any means.

I don't think that's correct (basilisk petrification is much harder to block, harder to save against, and much more lethal). But supposing it was correct: why wouldn't it be justified? (I'm not going to be moved by comments on XP: I think basilisks give far too much XP, though changing this isn't really in the scope of SCS.)

I still see this component as a complete mess.

*come on

*change it!

For the record, comments like this aren't likely to help achieve your objectives, as they don't actually provide reasons for making any change.

(The bandit camp fight is the best Ive had in any IE game!)

Glad you liked it! (is that the fight you get if you just storm in, or the fight you get on the way out if you sneak in?)

Point taken. I'll add web use for other spiders too. :) (If you look above, I've already noted that I'm sympathetic to reducing the size of the web effect.)

you could make them mephit-like: every X rounds they fire out that single-target web effect, save vs breath with penalties dependent on spider-type. you can even make the webs have differing effects according to spider type (basic 1 round hold, 1 turn hold but with saves to escape every round, entangling: no hold but penalties to thac0/AC, etc).

Archived