Farsight & Wizard Eye

phordicus

would you consider moving the spells Farsight and Wizard Eye to a lower level? the number of 4th level spells that are already virtually required is higher than most other spell levels, it seems. maybe in pnp these spells are nice, but in BG2 they're almost worthless. does anyone rate them as better than a cantrip?

Well, they surely are better than cantrips, though I admit their usefulness is quite limited. The funny thing is that they are almost the same (despite them sharing both lvl and school), and that their most important use involves spells from the current opposite school, Conjuration. In fact, I thought to make Wizard Eye a Conjuration spell, just to make the two spells slightly more different, but you probably know that I'm always reluctant to move a spell away from PnP.

Afaik these spells aren't used by the AI thus we're kinda free regarding their changes, but I don't have many ideas on this matter, and I don't see much reasons to move them at lower levels. Lower levels are kinda full of spells and I'm not sure about letting players spam invisible eyes everywhere or see the entire map with a bunch a 2nd lvl spell (not to mention that I kinda need at least one of them here else Divination school would have no 4th lvl spells).

Farsight

I use it in beholder lair, rigging it full of traps first. This may be hugely exploitable, but how about increasing sight range? The max range is 24, with anything beyond 15 (normal LOS) being darkened out, but you still can see creatures there.

Wizard Eye

Fine with moving to Conjuration. It does conjure an eye, after all.

Farsight

I use it in beholder lair, rigging it full of traps first. This may be hugely exploitable, but how about increasing sight range? The max range is 24, with anything beyond 15 (normal LOS) being darkened out, but you still can see creatures there.
By range you mean AoE? Anyway, I think both are hardcoded: range should be "anywhere within the current area" and AoE is not determined by a projectile. :)

What degree of exploitness we're talking about? :D

Divination seems like a rather questionable specialization already. I personally wouldn't take any spells away from it. I actually do use Wizard Eye sometimes so that I can send an army of summons to attack and weaken a dangerous enemy group before I send it my party members.

Opcode #262 (Visual Range)

The exploitness is that the caster can see farther than opponents, potentially safely using attacks (ranged or magical) that surpass the hardcoded visual range value of 15 (the 30' range in ability headers).

Ahh, you meant a completely different thing than I thought. Anyway, I do fear such effect can either be almost useless or extremely exploitable depending on which things it allows to do (e.g. how many spells have range >30 ?) and the ability of the AI to cope with it.

Divination seems like a rather questionable specialization already. I personally wouldn't take any spells away from it. I actually do use Wizard Eye sometimes so that I can send an army of summons to attack and weaken a dangerous enemy group before I send it my party members.
I'm well aware that Divination spells are very limited, and for V4 I do want to add a bunch of new ones, but in this case we're talking about two spells that do the very same thing. You say that you like to use Wizard Eye to guide an army of summons (which is the tactic I hinted few posts ago), but that is the very same thing you can do with Farsight (the former can explore, the latter lasts much longer).

Archived