IWD-in-BG2 v5 sourcecode

DavidW

I've got version 5 of IWD-in-BG2 completed and I'm in the process of generating a usable version. In the interim, though, and as a gesture towards being open-source, I thought I'd put the actual sourcecode somewhere accessible.

Unless you are seriously interested in how IWD-in-BG2 works, READ NO FURTHER. This version is not relevant even for people who want to help test the mod.

IWD-in-BG2 works like this. (It's not far off how BGTUTU works.)

1) start with a copy of BG2, with the IWD-in-BG2 folder as a subfolder.

2) run the get_iwd_resources batch file. Cam wrote this, and I've lightly modified it. It grabs all the IWD resources from an install of IWD and dumps them somewhere accessible. It also uses BGT voodoo I don't understand to convert the tilesets to be BG2-friendly.

3) run setup-iwd_in_bg2 as a weidu mod. (I haven't packaged a copy of weidu, so you need to add a local one) and install all components.

It's also helpful to think of setup-iwd_in_bg2 as having several components:

(a) the core contents of setup-iwd_in_bg2.tp2, which do most of the processing. The early part of this was based on Cam's version but most of it is mine.

(b) the animation converter code, which moves IWD creature animations over to the BG2 format. This is a hideous bit of weidu that I wrote three years ago and don't really even understand myself.

© the convert_pro macro. This converts projectiles to the BG2 format. Nythrun wrote the core, I added various bells and whistles.

(d) the david_itm_spl macro. This converts the spells and items - it's based on Cam's original macro but it's been fairly heavily modified and expanded.

As well as actually running the conversion, setup-iwd_in_bg2 creates (via component 10000) a list of all IWD resources that are simply copied over, as well as where they're copied to and (in a few cases) what they're renamed to.

The actual version of IWD-in-BG2 I distribute is actually more like EasyTUTU than BG1TUTU. It contains a copy of every file modified by setup-iwd_in_bg2: that is, it contains the override directory (prior to that directory being biffed by component 5000 of setup-iwd_in_bg2), and the folders iwd_in_bg2/biff/X, where X=gen_cre, X=dv_cre, or X=cre_ini. It also contains the above list of files to copy over.

When the distributed version runs, it clones a new copy of BG2 and then copies over all required IWD resources, as specified in the list. Then it dumps the modified files into the relevant places. Finally, it runs those few components of setup-iwd_in_bg2 that aren't replicated by the above process (the most obvious one is the animation converter).

In any case, the sourcecode is here for anyone interested. I say again, REALLY only look if you want to poke around in the code. This is a copy of my local version; it isn't even tested as working elsewhere.

Archived