Icewind Dale in BG2 version 5 (beta) available for testing

DavidW

About 18 months after the last time I properly looked at this project, I've produced a version 5 of icewind-dale-in-baldur's-gate-ii, a conversion project to play IWD in the BG2 engine, originally started by CamDawg back in 2008.

The mod is definitely still in testing. I've called it a beta; that may be optimistic. I've fixed basically all the bugs noted by previous testers; I've also played through myself to the end of chapter 1 without encountering any bugs (more accurately, any bugs except ones I fixed en route!). But it hasn't been completely critical-path-tested, let alone fully played through.

You can download the mod here. (Be warned: it's about 20 MB.) To install:

1) Ensure that you're running Windows (the mod doesn't work for Mac or *nix)

2) Ensure that you have a full (and preferably unmodded) install of BG2, including ToB, and with the latest patch

3) Ensure that you have a full (and preferably unmodded) install of IWD, including both Heart of Winter and Test of the Luremaster (the converter doesn't work without both)

4) Run the mod executable (preferably as an administrator or with UAC turned off, if you're on Vista or later) and enter a new directory for the mod to be installed in

5) After a minute or two, you will be prompted to enter the path of your BG2 install; do so

6) After another minute or two, you will be prompted to enter the path of your IWD install; do so

7) After another minute or two, you will be told "all files copied correctly" and prompted to press a key; do so.

8) Go and have a coffee or something, as the rest of the install process will take half an hour or so.

9) Look downthread for the latest post-install Fixpack; download and extract it to your new IWD-in-BG2 folder.

10) Run setup-ice_tutu_fix in your IWD-in-bg2 folder.

11) Optionally, run the "setup-ice_tutu_tweaks.exe" file in your IWD-in-BG2 directory, which will let you install some (BG1-level) NPCs and make a few tweaks

12) Run the game by running BGMain.exe, in your IWD-in-BG2 directory.

Some warnings:

- don't run setup-iwd_in_bg2 after installation is complete.

- installing a widescreen mod will probably not work (almost certainly once the mod is stable, there'll be a widescreen version, though) To my mild surprise, the widescreen mod seems to work fine, with just a bit of graphical distortion

- if you're going to report bugs, I'd much prefer that you don't mod the game at all other than via ice_tutu_tweaks. (It makes it harder for me to tell genuine bugs from compatibility problems.)

After installing the beta, download the post-install fixpack below. This is an ongoing collection of fixes to address beta bugs as we find them.

Fixpack Version 4 (for beta v5 of the core conversion) now available (~5.1 MB)

Changelog v4

• Strings adjusted for dialogues from to to reflect Protagonist object change from IWD to BG2
  • Fallen rangers and paladins no longer receive abilities
  • More search map fixes, particularly in the Severed Hand
  • Three White Doves now destroys outer planar creatures per its descript
  • Wailing virgins now have a death animation
  • Arcane version of Animate Dead now has its missing icon in the spellbook
  • Fixed issues with the mapping of ChangeCurrentScript(); notably undead lieutenants in Dragon's Eye were doing nothing
  • Several scripts set a variable to kill themselves fix from v3 was still not treating doors in level four of Dragon's Eye properly; this is now fixed
  • Two invisible creatures used to drive dialogues and scripts on Burial Isle and near the Magic Mouth were visible
  • Cynicism talks again
  • Fixed several issues with DVs in the game; notably this would prevent the completion of the battle in the barbarian camp (and Angaar opening the gate), issues with fake Pomab images, as well as other minor issues
  • Jackal summoners now stay put and summon demons rather than charge the party
  • Presio's combat script has had some targeting improvements
  • Eldathyn and their allies in level four of Dragon's Eye now use their Animal Affinity and Chameleon Power innates instead of silencing and paralyzing themselves
  • Shattered souls et al now cast Shadow Pact
  • Rest encounter rates adjusted again
  • Added an animation from Icasaracht's final area to the area animation layering fix
  • Fixed bug with v3 where it was putting the wrong string for scimitar proficiencies
  • Area effect spells would go wonky when a thief was in the area of effect; notably the spellcaster would double-clutch the casting animation and additional projectiles would be sent from the caster to the AoE every round
  • Several kit abilities weren't working; mainly affecting paladins

Changelog v3

• Added Ring of the Will-o-Wisp back to the game; it's functional though the magical damage effect has the wrong visuals
  • Added Three White Doves back to the game, though it's undead-destroying power is currently not working (it'll still do the extra damage)
  • Added IWD movies to the movie list for playback from the opening screen
  • Several dialogues now check the speaker, rather than Player1, for dialogue options and replies to restore IWD behavior
  • Several scripts set a variable to kill themselves, but they were interfering with one another. Notably, this blocked the initial Wylfdene encounter, several events at the barbarian camp, and prevented the opening of the final stairway to Poquelin
  • A couple of triggers relating to difficulty levels in HoW and TotL areas were not being converted properly, making areas incorrectly easier/harder
  • The altar behind Xactile was lacking an item
  • Killed potential infinite loop in primary game script
  • Wylfdene now has proper flashy visuals when he dies
  • Barbarian Announcer and Brother Perdiem fixes from v2 were not working
  • Final confrontation cutscene between the Seer and Wylfdene would hang
  • The die-revive sequence of trolls was unreliable and has been recoded
  • The final cutscenes with Icasarcht and her soul gem would hang
  • Hobart's rakshasha form would immediately deactivate
  • Cutscene when Varglaan attacks the party hangs
  • Added flags to all area transitions to make them impassable by NPCs to restore IWD behavior and avoid future complications
  • BG2 greatly inflates rest encounter rates; as a result all imported areas have had their rates reduced to try and get back to IWD encounter levels
  • About 30 areas had animations (mainly fireplaces) that were improperly layered and would cover up PCs and NPCs
  • Several areas had difficult to reach travel triggers to leave the area
  • Fixed pre-detected trap in level two of Kresselack's tomb
  • Lonelywood had extraneous doors that would appear in the upper right corner of the map on impassable terrain
  • The secret door in the Whistling Gallows would, once open, appear in the impassable black area in the upper left
  • Creatures using converted animations from IWD had their speeds tested and adjusted. This includes creatures using the animations of: animated plate (two variations), barbarians (all six variations of warriors and shamen), barrow wights, Belhifet, boring beetles, creeping doom, drowned dead, elementals (earth, fire, water, and water kin), giants (frost and fire), harpies, iron golems, Poquelin, remorhazs, sahuagin (large and small), scrag trolls, the Seer, svirnfeblin (with and without axe), umber hulks (vodanyoi), verbeegs, Wylfdene, and yeti.
  • Hobart and his rakshasha no longer hand out duplicate gear
  • The Shattered Blade of Aihonen no longer has a 'Release Familiar' button
  • All weapons have had their descriptions updated to reflect the BG2 proficiency system
  • Deprecated previous fix of Morning stars were using flail proficiencies instead of mace due to...
  • Added a component where players can select their proficiency system: IWD (With or without weapon styles), BG (With or without weapon styles), and rebalanced weapon proficiencies (from BG2 Tweaks)

Changelog for v2a

• All area minimaps rebuilt; should hopefully resolve crashes when viewing area maps

Changelog v2

• Orrick properly gives out a random treasure item for the Mythal Theory book.
  • Hjollder's exit via Wind Walk from Burial Isle no longer hangs in a cutscene.
  • Fixed an issue where you could walk through a wall and skip an entire floor in the Severed Hand
  • Fixed several exits that were impossible to reach, trapping the party
  • Saablic Tan would not recognize that you had killed the Neo Orog Chieftain
  • The Tarnished Ring would not return you to Lonelywood
  • Strength of One, Bless, and Defensive Harmony were affecting enemies instead of just allies
  • Yxunomei's little girl form was not going away after her transformation
  • Several items and a spell were using the bard song portrait icon for regeneration effects
  • Morning stars were using flail proficiencies instead of mace
  • The salamander that can't find Vera no longer randomly wanders down and kills her
  • Salamander aura fixes:
    • Player AI scripts no longer attack salamanders due to hot/cold aura damage
    • Fire salamander auras now work, instead of amusingly killing the salamanders with Tanar'ri death gaze attacks
    • Invisible characters are now affected by auras

[*]Tightened up Flozem's scripting to more reliably go hostile if Fleezum is killed

[*]Everard was missing upon the return to Easthaven

[*]The ice blocking the door in to the temple upon return to Easthaven could be bypassed

[*]The fire pit in the Whistling Gallows was layered incorrectly and would cover up actors

[*]The Tale of Sir Geddian was not being placed in a chest, preventing completion of the Luremaster's challenges

[*]The cutscene exposing Hobart as a rakshasha would hang

[*]The Magic Mouth under the castle in TotLM didn't work, preventing the party from advancing

[*]Stone Nuisances now respawn every time you enter their area

[*]After placing flawed gems in the Chest of Seasons, the flawless gems were not appearing on the various altars

[*]Fixed typo of 'Kilrag' in a floating string after you retrieve his badge

[*]Announcer in Wylfdene's tent not reliably starting dialogue after the cutscene to deliver you to the tent

[*]Lots of fixes to Burial Isle--monsters weren't attacking and Skaldar and the Polar Bear Spirit weren't initiating dialogue

[*]Guello wasn't recognizing that Shikata and the salamanders were dead and that he was free

[*]Beorn was not moving to the stones in the village

[*]Brother Perdiem would continue with crazy floating text after being freed with the death of the idol

Changelog v1

• Added fixes for wonky travel triggers in ar11xx and ar12xx areas

Issues that remain open:

• Visuals from several cutscenes missing (notably, the Seer's death when confronting Wylfdene and just about everything from the final Icasaracht confrontation)
  • Projectile from the Ring of the Will-o-Wisp is correct, function-wise, but visually looks like color spray
  • IWD movies lack subtitles
  • Need to review level-zero innate spellcasting
  • Duplicate Angaars

Shouldn't this component read:

# Added a component where players can select their proficiency system: IWD (With or without weapon styles), BG (With or without weapon styles), BG2, and rebalanced weapon proficiencies (from BG2 Tweaks) ..?

And absolutely great work with the bug- and converterfixing (kudos also to grogerson, Wisp, et al)!

I trying instal it, but it write this:

"Enter the full path to your Baldur's gate II instalation WITHOUT ANY TERMINAL SLASHES then press Enter."

I have done it, but it is still repeating. What should I do? Is there someone who still working about this?

I trying instal it, but it write this:

"Enter the full path to your Baldur's gate II instalation WITHOUT ANY TERMINAL SLASHES then press Enter."

I have done it, but it is still repeating. What should I do? Is there someone who still working about this?

Just to make sure... You need BG2 with ToB installed and with the 2.5.26498 patch, and IWD with HoW and TotLM (no patch required) installed for starters.

If you're using Windows, make sure they're NOT installed to C:\Program Files (Microsoft micromanaging problems). Likewise when you run the installer, place the game anywhere but here.

When asked, make sure of your BG2 and IWD folder locations. I believe (and this goes back to the first BETA versions) that spaces in the installation location can stop the installation. My game (and "full path") locations are:

F:\Black Isle\BG2

F:\Black Isle\IWD1

F:\IWDinBG2

And yes, this project is still being worked on though DavidW has his hands a bit full at this time with lots of other projects...

Just to make sure... You need BG2 with ToB installed and with the 2.5.26498 patch, and IWD with HoW and TotLM (no patch required) installed for starters.

If you're using Windows, make sure they're NOT installed to C:\Program Files (Microsoft micromanaging problems). Likewise when you run the installer, place the game anywhere but here.

When asked, make sure of your BG2 and IWD folder locations. I believe (and this goes back to the first BETA versions) that spaces in the installation location can stop the installation. My game (and "full path") locations are:

F:\Black Isle\BG2

F:\Black Isle\IWD1

F:\IWDinBG2

And yes, this project is still being worked on though DavidW has his hands a bit full at this time with lots of other projects...

I see, thank you. I definitely try it, but there is anoter problem.

I have original Czech version of BGII+ToB with own Czech patch and when I install 2.5.26498 patch, everything is in English.

My Icewind dale is Czech version, too. If I do this like you are saying, something will be English and something Czech.

I can use some Icewind patch for it, but it still would be better, if the installation didn't need the 2.5.26498 patch of BGII (for another players with similar problem).

Archived