Can't install Ascension on OSX

urdjur

After many failed attempts to track down the right files for OSX, I found the stickied "Help for Mac users" thread here and downloaded the Ascension mod from here:

http://loriel.byethost18.com/downloads/index.php

It downloaded as a disc image, which I mounted to find an installer. Clicking it, it wants to install directly under Macintosh HD, giving me no option to change the directory (oh well, thought I, I'll just move the files to BGII-SoA later).

However, when it starts installing, a message pops up saying only: "./" That's all, and I can only click "OK". When I do, it says the installation (or rather "running pre script this-or-that") failed. End of story.

I'm on Snow Leopard and have full BGII:SoA + ToB + patch 2.1.2 for Mac. I've never installed mods before (for any game), so chances are I'm doing something very basic completely wrong. I want to install other weidu mods too, but this is the first one on the install order list (before the fixpack).

After many failed attempts to track down the right files for OSX, I found the stickied "Help for Mac users" thread here and downloaded the Ascension mod from here:

http://loriel.byethost18.com/downloads/index.php

It downloaded as a disc image, which I mounted to find an installer. Clicking it, it wants to install directly under Macintosh HD, giving me no option to change the directory (oh well, thought I, I'll just move the files to BGII-SoA later).

However, when it starts installing, a message pops up saying only: "./" That's all, and I can only click "OK". When I do, it says the installation (or rather "running pre script this-or-that") failed. End of story.

I'm on Snow Leopard and have full BGII:SoA + ToB + patch 2.1.2 for Mac. I've never installed mods before (for any game), so chances are I'm doing something very basic completely wrong. I want to install other weidu mods too, but this is the first one on the install order list (before the fixpack).

It might be better to use Ascension-WeiDU-v1.4.24, instead of the version you're trying to install.

Good luck!

Eric

It might be better to use Ascension-WeiDU-v1.4.24, instead of the version you're trying to install.
Here's it's official page.

Or you could use the Big Pictures Ascension component, that too needs the Mac's "WeiDU" -file that part of the download-able (OSX Binary) -archive, from here, which just needs to be renamed as "setup-BPv180" -file.

I tried using the 4.24 version instead - it looked completely different and came as an .exe file, which I dropped in BGII:SoA and clicked. It extracted into the very same BGII:SoA. I open the "Ascension-weidu" folder, finding the folder "ascension" inside as well as setup-ascension.exe and setup-ascension.tp2.

I copy "weidu" from the weidu folder (looks like a gray Terminal window icon) and drop the copy into the recently extracted Ascension-weidu folder, and rename it "setup-ascension". As I click it, I get the following message:

Last login: Sun Jan 16 19:19:07 on ttys000

/BGII\ -\ SoA/Ascension-WeiDU-v1.4.24/setup-ascension ; exit;

h109n2-u-a31:~ Stefan$ /BGII\ -\ SoA/Ascension-WeiDU-v1.4.24/setup-ascension ; exit;

[/bGII - SoA/Ascension-WeiDU-v1.4.24/setup-ascension] WeiDU version 22600

ERROR: Cannot perform auto-update, going ahead anyway!

Sys_error("setup-ascension: No such file or directory")

** ERROR ** [sETUP-ASCENSION.TP2] not found.

Make sure that you have unpacked the archive correctly and

that you are not trying to run this file from inside an archive.

ERROR: Unable to find DIALOG.TLK in:

dialog.tlk

Please run this program in your Infinity Engine game directory.

FATAL ERROR: Failure("Unable to find DIALOG.TLK")

Press ENTER to exit.

Of course, "Setup-Ascension.tp2" is right next to the renamed weidu-icon. It looks like a blank document icon. Any ideas? I have no experience with the Terminal window, writing code or programming, so I'm basically just trying to follow instructions here with no idea of what I'm doing.

I tried using the 4.24 version instead - it looked completely different and came as an .exe file, which I dropped in BGII:SoA and clicked. It extracted into the very same BGII:SoA. I open the "Ascension-weidu" folder, finding the folder "ascension" inside as well as setup-ascension.exe and setup-ascension.tp2.

The ascension folder, setup-ascension.exe and setup-ascension.tp2 must be in your main BG2 folder - who knows why the installer wrapped it in "Ascension-weidu"

From weidu.org:

Installing With Mac OSX WeiDU

You now have two options. Pick whichever you prefer.

(1) Copying Option.

*Copy weidu-mac over Setup-Foo.exe (where Foo is something like Solaufein or Tactics or whatever is appropriate for the mod you are installing).

*Run Setup-Foo.exe (you may have to type ./Setup-Foo.exe to do so)

(2)Hand-Installation Option.

*Run weidu-mac Setup-Foo.tp2 --tlkout dialog.tlk

Apologies if you've already figured this out.

Thanks for the help suttree, but the effect is the same:

*I copied the contents of the folder named "Weidu-ascenscion-v.1.blabla" (located in folder BGII-SoA), and moved the contents directly into BGII-SoA. I then deleted the superfluos folder. I then had the following additions in BGII-SoA:

1) ascension (folder)

2) setup-ascension (the "weidu" copy I renamed myself - was I supposed to do it like that?)

3) setup-ascension.exe (extracted from the original .exe archive)

4) setup-ascension.tp2

Clicking the Terminal icon setup-ascension, I get the following error message:

Last login: Sun Jan 16 19:23:23 on ttys000

/BGII\ -\ SoA/setup-ascension ; exit;

h109n2-u-a31:~ Stefan$ /BGII\ -\ SoA/setup-ascension ; exit;

[/bGII - SoA/setup-ascension] WeiDU version 22600

ERROR: Cannot perform auto-update, going ahead anyway!

Sys_error("setup-ascension: No such file or directory")

** ERROR ** [sETUP-ASCENSION.TP2] not found.

Make sure that you have unpacked the archive correctly and

that you are not trying to run this file from inside an archive.

ERROR: Unable to find DIALOG.TLK in:

dialog.tlk

Please run this program in your Infinity Engine game directory.

FATAL ERROR: Failure("Unable to find DIALOG.TLK")

Press ENTER to exit.

logout

[Processen slutförd]

Same thing more or less. I tried reading the WeiDU instructions you posted before coming to this forum, but they made no sense to me:

(1) Copying Option.

*Copy weidu-mac over Setup-Foo.exe (where Foo is something like Solaufein or Tactics or whatever is appropriate for the mod you are installing).

Uhm,

1) Is "weidu-mac" the same as the Terminal icon program named "weidu" in my weidu folder?

2) What does he mean with "copy over"? Should I rename the weidu "setup-ascension.exe"? If so, I need to remove the original setup-ascension.exe first, because OSX won't let me overwrite directly.

*Run Setup-Foo.exe (you may have to type ./Setup-Foo.exe to do so)

Is he talking about the original file or the name changed file previously known as weidu? I first tried not changing the name of "weidu", simply opening it and typing "./Setup-Ascension.exe", but that didn't work either. I don't know how to run programs on a mac other than clickling on an icon, sorry.

(2)Hand-Installation Option.

*Run weidu-mac Setup-Foo.tp2 --tlkout dialog.tlk

What? What should I type were?

Since no one else has replied....

I'm not a mac user, so blind leading the blind :thumbsup:

Internet says Access the command line (Terminal) from Applications/Utilities.

Type: "cd <Your BG2 directory>"

Internet says Drag drop your BG2 folder onto the terminal window to get <Your Bg2 directory>

Option 1

Rename weidu to setup-ascension.exe (as previous or type "mv weidu setup-ascension.exe")

Type: "./setup-ascension.exe"

Option 2

Type "./weidu setup-ascension.tp2 --tlkout dialog.tlk"

<edit> Reading the below - use "ls" or "ls | more" to list the contents of your BG2 directory. Do you see weidu or weidu-mac?

<edit2>Now that I'm not at work, I can download the latest Weidu OSX zip and see that the binary is indeed named "weidu" so the above should be correct.

I'm not a mac user, so blind leading the blind :thumbsup:

Internet says Drag drop your BG2 folder onto the terminal window to give the required path.

Option 1

Rename weidu to setup-ascension.exe (as previous or type "mv weidu setup-ascension.exe")

Option 2

On the mac, you type weidu-mac before the name of the .tp2 file in the line above.

- E

I really appreciate the help guys, but this is still not working. :thumbsup: I'll explain step by step what I've done and what the results were:

Internet says Drag drop your BG2 folder onto the terminal window to get <Your Bg2 directory>

Yey! This actually works. Dropping it ontop of a terminal window cds it to bg2-SoA.

When I try anything else of the above though, I just get the message "BG2-SoA is a directory", and then Terminal cd..s me back to where I started. Throwing out the original setup.exe and renaming weidu manually transforms weidu from a terminal icon to an .exe icon, which my extractor then tries to extract when I click on it. If I don't click on it but try to run it from terminal instead, I get the same message as with the other options:

Last login: Mon Jan 17 09:37:36 on ttys001

h109n2-u-a31:~ Stefan$ /BGII\ -\ SoA ./setup-ascension.exe

-bash: /BGII - SoA: is a directory

h109n2-u-a31:~ Stefan$

What am I doing wrong? :thumbsup:

Last login: Mon Jan 17 09:37:36 on ttys001

h109n2-u-a31:~ Stefan$ /BGII\ -\ SoA ./setup-ascension.exe

-bash: /BGII - SoA: is a directory

h109n2-u-a31:~ Stefan$

Start console

h109n2-u-a31:~ Stefan$ cd "/BGII - SOA" <enter>

ls <enter>

You should see a listing of your BG2 directory

./setup-ascension.exe <enter>

profit?

profit?

Bwahahahahaha!!!!!

Yes! That worked :thumbsup: I had just given up on Ascension and started installing other mods (fixpack etc.) instead. I ran into other mac-related and unpacking-related issues, but managed to solve those. I'm gonna compile the above solution to Ascension and the other hoops I jumped through in the stickied Mac thread, for the boon of future mac users.

Thanks again Suttree!

EDIT: Here are my findings compiled in case the Mac thread gets unstickied/lost:

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?s...st&p=180708

I'm not a mac user, so blind leading the blind ???

Internet says Drag drop your BG2 folder onto the terminal window to give the required path.

Option 1

Option 2

On the mac, you type weidu-mac before the name of the .tp2 file in the line above.

- E

Oops, what I said above assumes that your WeiDU file is named weidu-mac. I've noticed that the most recent versions of WeiDU no longer have it this way, but instead the file is called simply "weidu". I rename it to weidu-mac, as I'm a creature of habit, and it works fine.

- E

Archived