Gitted.

Still, we could use something (even a loose thread) to handle cooperation (given the extremely limited number of free slots, there should be a way for modder X to see that inns are already handled by CD_INN and shops by FJ_SHOPS, rather than creating a duplicate prefix_SLEEP_PLACE or prefix_WALLMART).

Edited by the bigg

WeiDU alters AREATYPE (short at 0x48 in ARE files). AREAFLAG (long at 0x14 in ARE files) cannot be checked against by triggers, making altering it moot for the purposes of scripting.

Of course, NI and the IESDP use inconsistent naming vs. what the IDS files are called (0x48, areatype.ids, is called 'location' in Near Infinity and 'area flags' in IESDP, while 0x14, areaflag.ids, is called 'area type' in Near Infinity and 'area flag' in IESDP), so it's easier than usual to confuse things.

Edited by the bigg

areatype/flag/etc. OK, I understand...

I am fine with any consistent cooperative label. We were starting with CD_, which is CamDawg's, but if we want something more generic, how about

CITY_INN // inn areas of all types where a modder would expect to use the movie that shows the "rest in a bed" animation

STRONGHOLD // strongholds areas

SHOP // contains a store

Wisp, does that cover what you need for your restrictions? It does let some quick and cool screening -

AreaType(SHOP) !AreaType(CITY_INN) = all the independent store areas

The more modders are used to seeing prefix, the better. Many prominent and well-coded NPCs still don't fully prefix their files, and that's a bigger potential compatibility risk than some modder deciding to use ADD_AREA_TYPE without first checking the reservation thread linked to by the command description.

Wisp, does that cover what you need for your restrictions?

Yeah, I only need a flag for inns and one for strongholds.

The more modders are used to seeing prefix, the better. Many prominent and well-coded NPCs still don't fully prefix their files, and that's a bigger potential compatibility risk than some modder deciding to use ADD_AREA_TYPE without first checking the reservation thread linked to by the command description.

That's true. Okay, so CD_INN (?) and FL_STRONGHOLD it is.

Edited by Wisp
I look at this and think it's messy already. There're only 8 flags available, so what's the point of having an array of different prefixes?

Btw I guess that's a fine idea to maintain a list of entries somewhere. Sectypes may need it too.

CD_INN etc. were examples. I don't think that pillaging Cam's or Nythrun's namespace without their consent is a good idea.

Yes, so, since I, to my knowledge, staked the first claim in this virgin territory I decree that the area type for inns be known as FL_INN and the area type for strongholds be known as FL_STRONGHOLD to all who don't mind cooperating and sharing.

There are like 12 used SecTypes in vanilla BG2 (out of 254 or whatever the limit is before WRITE_BYTE fails), but just the other day I saw a msectype.2da that contained well over 200 unique SecTypes, so...

Edited by Wisp
There are like 12 used SecTypes in vanilla BG2 (out of 254 or whatever the limit is before WRITE_BYTE fails), but just the other day I saw a msectype.2da that contained well over 200 unique SecTypes, so...

???

Were those actually unique or did some mod append 200 times the same sec type?