Newst and oddest issue yet!

Rana

Seems like I left out something valuable and am just now noticing it, or it's just suddenly become a recent issue where the two kits I made don't seem to want to uninstall. This presents a problem because they also refuse to update their files when I make tweaks to them and want to reinstall.

Sometimes it will even 'pretend' to uninstall it, where the exe tells me that it's been successfully uninstalled, but when I go to reinstall one of the kits I get a 'kit already found! skipping!' message, so it was never really uninstalled in the first place.

Ever hear of anything like this?

Edit:

Went to attempt an uninstall of the Alaghar kit and I got an interesting line of text:

Install Component [Alaghar of Clangeddin]?

[R]e-Install, [N]o Change or ninstall or [Q]uit? u

Removing [Alaghar of Clangeddin] component #0

Will uninstall 4 files for Setup-Hathran_Kit.tp2 component 1.

Uninstalled 4 files for Setup-Hathran_Kit.tp2 component 1.

Will uninstall 11 files for Setup-Hathran_Kit.tp2 component 0.

Uninstalled 11 files for Setup-Hathran_Kit.tp2 component 0.

Error Uninstalling Setup-Alaghar_Kit.tp2 component 1:

Sys_error "MyMod/backup/1Uninstall.1: No such file or directory"

Error Uninstalling Setup-Alaghar_Kit.tp2 component 0:

Sys_error "MyMod/backup/1Uninstall.1: No such file or directory"

SUCCESSFULLY REMOVED Alaghar of Clangeddin component #0

This makes no sense. 0.o First of all, the Alaghar and Hathran kits both have separate tp2 files and separate setup.exes, so I don't understand why one would dial up changes for the other and vice versa.

I also don't understand why it would be looking for MyMod/backup/1/Uninstall - I seriously don't know what this means. Both kit folders have backup subfolders for precautionary measures - though I do keep a text changelog in the backup folders that has all the same data as the current tp2, just in a .txt format. Think that might have something to do with this?

This makes no sense. 0.o First of all, the Alaghar and Hathran kits both have separate tp2 files and separate setup.exes, so I don't understand why one would dial up changes for the other and vice versa.

If you want to remove the Alaghar kit and it was installed before the Hathran kit, doing so will require that the Hathran kit be uninstalled, the Alaghar kit be uninstalled, and then the Hathran kit be reinstalled.

I also don't understand why it would be looking for MyMod/backup/1/Uninstall - I seriously don't know what this means. Both kit folders have backup subfolders for precautionary measures - though I do keep a text changelog in the backup folders that has all the same data as the current tp2, just in a .txt format. Think that might have something to do with this?

No. Your .tp2 files probably don't have the right information listed in the BACKUP lines at the start of the files.

If you want to remove the Alaghar kit and it was installed before the Hathran kit, doing so will require that the Hathran kit be uninstalled, the Alaghar kit be uninstalled, and then the Hathran kit be reinstalled.

No. Your .tp2 files probably don't have the right information listed in the BACKUP lines at the start of the files.

The what lines? :|

In regards to kit removal, somehow that doesn't seem right to me, but you say it so matter-of-factly. Is it normal to have to jump through so many hoops to just install kits? Would a better solution be to just combine both of the two tp2 files so I'd have a single Stepup.exe instead of multiple?

Edit: Regarding Backup line -

OH MY GOD HOW COULD I MISS THAT?

Also I understand now about the need for specific install/uninstall/reinstall orders - it's got to do with the number that the kits are assigned when they are first installed. If one kit has the number 50 for example and you install another kit after which is given a 51, uninstalling kit 50 won't move kit 51 up to 50 to fill in the gap and will cause issues, hence the need for a specific order.

Also I understand now about the need for specific install/uninstall/reinstall orders - it's got to do with the number that the kits are assigned when they are first installed. If one kit has the number 50 for example and you install another kit after which is given a 51, uninstalling kit 50 won't move kit 51 up to 50 to fill in the gap and will cause issues, hence the need for a specific order.

It's more fundamental than that. What WeiDU does to enable uninstallation of mods is create a backup of every file that a mod changes. When a mod is uninstalled, the mod's files are removed and the backups are restored to the override. If you have multiple mods installed and want to change a mod that's early in the stack, WeiDU can't simply restore the backup files from that mod, because those files won't contain any of the changes made by later mods. To properly remove the mod, it has to uninstall each mod in the stack one by one until the installation is in the same state it was before the mod was installed, then reinstall those other mods.

Is it normal to have to jump through so many hoops to just install kits?

No. Your problems are a result of the errors in the .tp2. I'm not sure if this would have helped in this scenario, but as a modder who frequently makes errors when testing, I'd recommend uninstalling mods before you change them. WeiDU is better equipped to not install something that has errors in it than figure out what to do when told to remove something with errors in it. In those cases I've sometimes noticed WeiDU will act as though it removed it without actually doing so, requiring that you manually restore the files (or convince WeiDU it's still installed) if you want to return your installation to a correct state.

Would a better solution be to just combine both of the two tp2 files so I'd have a single Stepup.exe instead of multiple?

Yes, if they're for the same mod. It's easy to set up multiple components.

there's only a few "cheats" to having a mod installed and changing it on the fly. if you're changing new and custom items & spells (which is my guess as to your predominant activity) and saving them in the override, go ahead and export a copy of the changed file to your mod's folder so that if/when you uninstall, you still have the most recent version in your mod.

changes to non-custom items and spells w/o uninstalling is bad mojo.

Archived