Accessing a HLA table through the use of a spell...

Rana

I'm in the process of creating yet another kit that, at certain levels, would be given the chance to select certain one-time abilities. I know that it's possible to make a spell that can reference a .2da list that will give access to other spells - ie: Spell Immunity or Enchanted Weapon - I used this method to already create a similar spell for the kit I have in the works.

What I would really like to do is access the kit's HLA table. This is for several reasons:

* The layout is cleaner and more user friendly for ability choice, allowing the player to fully read descriptions before choosing them.

* It allows you to place 'one time only' abilities and abilities that have pre-requisites locked in other abilities.

If it is indeed possible to do something like this, how would I go about it? Also, since I would be accessing the HLA table at a lower than normal level, is there a way to require the character to be a certain level before choosing particular abilities? Like say for example, a mage kit that gained access to the HLA table at level 10 through use of this ability, but couldn't select Comet until level 24.

Thanks!

Edit: On a fun experiment, combining "Use 2da file" and resource "LUABBR.2da" or a kit or class 2da, such as LUMA0.2da will teleport you to the pocket plane. ???

It's possible to modify the level at which a class first starts learning HLAs and you can give different HLAs different level requirements. However, the base class and other kits would get the same early HLA popups, but without your kit's special abilities to choose from. I'm not sure what effect that would cause (likely annoyance at having to skip through a useless screen or inability to level up).

What you can do instead is grant abilities through dialogue. It may not be as pretty, but it allows even more customization than HLA tables. Plus, you won't have to make images for passive abilities. You can have this dialogue trigger automatically upon levelling, or you can place a real person somewhere in the world to teach your character.

It's for a Bladesinger kit, and after thinking about it I decided that it wasn't necessary. Most of the abilities I wanted to add ended up being one-shot passives anyway, so I made made them applied abilities that were automatically learned at certain levels.

Could you rename that so it doesn't get confused to the TDD kit
I'm unsure how this could be a problem... We're talking about TDD, after all, and not the best aspect of it.
Well, we are also talking about my own mod, in case you didn't know... some of the kits might not be as good as the others in every regard(game balance being one of them), but that's not a good reason to ignore them.
It's possible to modify the level at which a class first starts learning HLAs and you can give different HLAs different level requirements. However, the base class and other kits would get the same early HLA popups, but without your kit's special abilities to choose from. I'm not sure what effect that would cause (likely annoyance at having to skip through a useless screen or inability to level up).

What you can do instead is grant abilities through dialogue. It may not be as pretty, but it allows even more customization than HLA tables. Plus, you won't have to make images for passive abilities. You can have this dialogue trigger automatically upon levelling, or you can place a real person somewhere in the world to teach your character.

After considering all my options I've come to the conclusion that this is the only option. Let me get my "Oh GOD!!!!" out of the way right now, haha.

The idea behind this ability is that it will be the kit's unique HLA. It can be selected multiple times. Upon selecting it as a HLA, the character will gain a one-use innate ability. This innate will initiate a prayer between the character and his god, in which the god will bless the character with the opportunity to select from a list of cleric spells and add it to the character's spellbook. For the record, it's a wizard kit, not a priest!

This is by far my most ambitious ability yet, so wish me luck!

Archived