a few questions about mages/spells

Guest kokocu

hi,

first of all, i wanted to say thanks for the mod. i enjoy it very much, except some mage battles.

i have some issues:

* is there a way to prevent mages use too much contigency? mages do, first sight: contigency, stoneskin finished: contigency, pfmw ended: contigency, have-nothing-to-do-because-party-wiped: contigency...... i listed them just after tolgerias showed me how many contigency he can cast (and he casts them even he had full hp). i ask something about preventing them using contigency that much (during installation modification/option maybe or by setting a global variable). i also remember them casting spell trigger/sequencer a few times (are not they one-until-cast spells, more than one impossible?)

* in some mage battles breach/pierce magic do nothing. i suspect they have casted immunity-abjuration but i dont see them casting it in the log. can they cast it before battle and not show it on log? i can understand breach didnot work because fireshield is still there and there is no spell turning left (will there still a spell turning left after 4 breach?).

* is there a way to lower mage levels (during installation maybe)? i checked a few mages using shadowkeeper and saw many mages which you encounter in chapter2 are lvl 20+. and their dispel magic way too powerful just because of lvl difference, this makes my party pretty naked:)

* what is the tactic vs immunity: abjuration ??? dispel doesnot work because my mage would be too low lvl

if they look like compaints, sorry. didnot mean to complain about mod, mod is probably for pro-gamers, not for me. i just want to modify it a bit according to my playstyle.

sorry if someone else mentioned about them in another thread.

got to go, need to slay tolgerias......

thanks

* is there a way to prevent mages use too much contigency? mages do, first sight: contigency, stoneskin finished: contigency, pfmw ended: contigency, have-nothing-to-do-because-party-wiped: contigency...... i listed them just after tolgerias showed me how many contigency he can cast (and he casts them even he had full hp). i ask something about preventing them using contigency that much (during installation modification/option maybe or by setting a global variable).

I'm reasonably sure I use only one Contingency, and one Chain Contingency, per mage. If you think that's not the case, details would be very useful. (Screen shots, ideally.)

i also remember them casting spell trigger/sequencer a few times (are not they one-until-cast spells, more than one impossible?)

Likewise, I'm reasonably sure each mage uses only one trigger of each kind. Let me know, with details, if you think that's not happening.

* in some mage battles breach/pierce magic do nothing. i suspect they have casted immunity-abjuration but i dont see them casting it in the log. can they cast it before battle and not show it on log? i can understand breach didnot work because fireshield is still there and there is no spell turning left (will there still a spell turning left after 4 breach?).

No, castings all show up in the log. I suspect there's a level of magic protection you're not noticing. (Tip: using multiple Breaches is not a good way to clear magical defences. Use Ruby Ray etc instead.)

* is there a way to lower mage levels (during installation maybe)? i checked a few mages using shadowkeeper and saw many mages which you encounter in chapter2 are lvl 20+. and their dispel magic way too powerful just because of lvl difference, this makes my party pretty naked:)

There's no direct way. It's canonical that many SoA mages are much higher level than the party. If you want to Shadowkeeper them down a few levels, be my guest. Or if you know the filename for the mage(s) in question, edit scsii/mage/level_override.2da (the format should be self-explanatory)

* what is the tactic vs immunity: abjuration ??? dispel doesnot work because my mage would be too low lvl

Ruby Ray/Warding Whip/Secret Word is probably the way to go.

if they look like compaints, sorry. didnot mean to complain about mod, mod is probably for pro-gamers, not for me. i just want to modify it a bit according to my playstyle.

That's fine, I wasn't taking them as complaints. Modify as much as you like.

got to go, need to slay tolgerias......

Good luck!

thanks for answers,

#1 contigency question is ok, i confused trigger/sequencer/contigencies and thought they were all contigencies.

one thing i want to ask about contigencies is: mages cast contigency when i breach/pierce their protections. is there a contigency condition like that? what is it that i can use?

some screenshots to explain it more clear:

Baldr000.jpg <- this one might be enemy-sighted contigency maybe, not sure though because it gave me time to cast breach on the yuantimage, btw yuantimage is uninjured

Baldr001.jpg <- no idea about condition

#2 i really saw some cases where breach does nothing and i do not see any spell protection (no spell turning/deflection and no immunity spell) in log. is there a way that i can export game log to a file? screenshots will probably give no hint because it requires too many screenshots. i will try to get some ss.

#3 about mage levels that is ok

#4 about immune:abjuration it works, but now they cast immune:divination:D

thanks

#2 i really saw some cases where breach does nothing and i do not see any spell protection (no spell turning/deflection and no immunity spell) in log. is there a way that i can export game log to a file? screenshots will probably give no hint because it requires too many screenshots. i will try to get some ss.

ignore this, i understand now, pierce shield doesnot dispel all spell protections (1 highest only)...

thanks for answers,

#1 contigency question is ok, i confused trigger/sequencer/contigencies and thought they were all contigencies.

one thing i want to ask about contigencies is: mages cast contigency when i breach/pierce their protections. is there a contigency condition like that?

Read the readme.

Archived