How can lycanthropy be cured in BGII?

ericp07

Greater Restoration and Heal spells cure disease, and lycanthropy is a disease, but do either or both of these spells cure it? Are there any other in-game cures for the affliction? I had an idea to set up a quest to cure an afflicted person of lycanthropy, but there would be no point to doing that if it would be a simple matter of paying for the cure in a temple. I'd prefer that the party be required to find a specific NPC who can cure the person, before or after which there should be some challenging encounters required. This would be an alternative to killing the afflicted person, as a show of compassion (after all, he didn't choose to become a werewolf).

This is the only ToB content I've conceived of for the Meleryn NPC mod so far, other than additional dialogues, but I keep getting the idea that I should write something else, something more meaningful and more focused on Meleryn and her involvement with <CHARNAME>. So, the floor is open for that, but perhaps that's best left to another thread.

Thanks,

Eric

Since you can't contract lycanthropy in BG*, there is nothing that cures it and you are free to do whatever you want with it.

*Well, other than the precedent set by TotSC: kill the head vampire werewolf and you are cured.

I see. This brings to mind the possibility of further expanding Meleryn's primary objective, which is to defeat an evil lycanthrope Malarite cult (The People of the Black Blood) that's spreading out of the High Forest to the north. I had planned for the party to kill the leader of this "chapter" of the cult, then decide what to do with his lieutenant, who is the guy afflicted with lycanthropy. They can kill him, too, or seek to cure him. Now, in light of the above, it might be better for story purposes to allow the leader to escape, maybe even be found again in the ToB portion of the game, and "persuaded" to cure the lieutenant, then warned out of the region or killed.

Just some thoughts about how best to handle the cult story arc. Nothing is written...yet.

Thanks,

Eric

FWIW, P&P Remove Curse can cure lycanthropy if certain conditions are met.

Which conditions are those?

A caster of 12th level or more can cure lycanthropy with this spell by casting it on the animal form. The were-creature receives a saving throw vs. spell and, if succesful, the spell fails and the priest must gain a level before attempting the remedy on this creature again.
FWIW, P&P Remove Curse can cure lycanthropy if certain conditions are met.

Which conditions are those?

A caster of 12th level or more can cure lycanthropy with this spell by casting it on the animal form. The were-creature receives a saving throw vs. spell and, if succesful, the spell fails and the priest must gain a level before attempting the remedy on this creature again.

I hadn't seen that text before. This falls in line with idea that the main villain has been holding the promise of a cure over the afflicted's head, to compel his service. Should the party get the villain to cast the spell, and it fails, they can still seek out Meleryn's ally, who upgrades her sword, or take their chances with healers, and pay the price.

Thanks,

Eric

Archived