Mages' spellbook questions

the bigg

I've written a component of tb#tweaks that makes mages randomly drop spellbooks, containing a random selection of their memorized spells (the current version is available in the git build of tb#tweaks and is 95% ready). I have a Minor Wall of Questions to ask for better integration (especially since I'm going to recommend installation with SCSII to increase chances that in-game performance, memorized spells and dropped spellbooks will match each other).

Will SCSII mages who memorized at least a single 4th level spell have a Minor Spell Sequencer ready (ditto for the other Sequencers and Contingencies)?

Is there any way to extract (at install time) information on what spells a given CRE has memorized outside of the main spellbook (E.G. Sequencers, Contingencies, pre-buffing)? Alternatively, are there any spells that most mages will use and are only cast from such sources?

Do you have a map of NPC-only to PC-accessible spells available (E.G. NPC-only dw#sumgl.spl Summon Fiend becomes player-accessible spwi807.spl)?

I've written a component of tb#tweaks that makes mages randomly drop spellbooks, containing a random selection of their memorized spells (the current version is available in the git build of tb#tweaks and is 95% ready). I have a Minor Wall of Questions to ask for better integration (especially since I'm going to recommend installation with SCSII to increase chances that in-game performance, memorized spells and dropped spellbooks will match each other).

Will SCSII mages who memorized at least a single 4th level spell have a Minor Spell Sequencer ready (ditto for the other Sequencers and Contingencies)?

Yep. I assume all wizards who could cast a given sequencer have memorized it. (My background logic is that most wizards have years or decades to learn their spells - CHARNAME is unusual in gaining levels at the rate of several per week.)

Is there any way to extract (at install time) information on what spells a given CRE has memorized outside of the main spellbook (E.G. Sequencers, Contingencies, pre-buffing)?

No, sorry. It's largely determined at the point that the creature is created, so if you create ten MAGE16As, they'll have ten different arrangements of sequencers and contingencies.

Alternatively, are there any spells that most mages will use and are only cast from such sources?

I think most offensive spells are also memorized. Offhand, the only spells I can think of that turn up only in sequencers/contingencies are Simulacrum, Mislead, and Spell Immunities. There are probably others I'm forgetting. (There is a fairly accurate list of spell triggers in scsii/mage/spelltrigger.txt; contingencies are determined by a set of files in scsii/mage/prepblocks.)

Do you have a map of NPC-only to PC-accessible spells available (E.G. NPC-only dw#sumgl.spl Summon Fiend becomes player-accessible spwi807.spl)?

I don't have a systematic map, but it probably doesn't matter. SCSII mages don't memorise dw#sumgl, they memorise SUMMON_FIEND and then cast using SpellNoDec and RemoveSpell.

Archived