Demon in Svirfneblin Village - help!

Guest Sevarus

Guest Sevarus

I decided to rush a lot faster to Spellhold than I usually do... and I think that was a mistake. I struggled through Spellhold (and resorted to CTRL+Y on Irenicus after he used THREE Time Stops in a row and I mashed the quick-load button into oblivion) and took many reloads to get through the drow raiding party you find in the first Underdark area.

Anyway, I'm attempting to fight the demon in the svirfneblin settlement and he's destroying me. My party is me (Berserker/Mage dual class, 9/12), Auren, Jaheira, Mazzy, Nalia, and Imoen. We are all levels 12-13. The demon starts off the fight with a Firestorm and Aura of Flaming Death, and kills everyone with vorpal hits. Fine, we put up lots of fire protection and Death Ward. But then he casts Remove Magic and it wipes out ALL of our buffs, and we get slaughtered in five seconds.

Normally I enjoy tough fights, as they make me a better player, but this is kicking my butt. If I could keep my buffs from being removed, I could probably win, but no.

Guest Guest_Loz_*

I would breach his stoneskins and take him out in melee. Make sure all your melee fighters are protected from fire so you won't kill yourself on his fire shield and firestorm. You should have spell immunity on your beserker mage so you can cast spell immunity: abjuration on him to protect your buffs. I don't know who auren is but looking at the rest of your party I think only the PC and possibly mazzy can go toe to toe with him. PC should be immune to vorpal hits with beserk(I think).

Unfortunately you are quite low level so you don't have horrid wilting and most demons are highly resistant to elemental damage. You could try 2-3x lower resistance and pepper him with skull traps and magic missiles. The nymph from jaheira might be able to get him with hold monster, i've seen it work on some suprising things, otherwise a fire elemental will be useful.

Make sure you deploy your party in a way where only the melee fighters will be hit by his fire storm. He may try teleporting in which case you'll have to run down the corridor with your magic slingers and readjust. The small space makes this fight harder.

What weapon is your main character using? What spells do you have? What equipment do you have? This might help coming up with a strategy. Check your inventory to see what kind of charged items you have. Perhaps you have potions of storm giant strength and power to help your beserker best him in melee. Perhaps you have potions of icedust to protect you from his fire. Maybe you have some high level scrolls saved that could be used now.

Guest Sevarus

Phew, beat him. I spread my characters out more, including taking a few out of the room because they would just be fodder for the demon anyway. The SI:Abj saved my butt, for sure, but Mazzy ended up saving the day with Improved Haste and Tansheron's bow after my buffs ran out and my PC was about dead; the demon was only at "Injured". I also had a scroll of ADHW in my scroll case that I was saving for later, but I decided to drop it on him for an extra 37 damage. There was a moment at the end when he cast Symbol:Stun at my PC, she failed her save and I thought she was a goner. But Mazzy blasted through his last Stoneskin (before Nalia could even get out in the hallway where he was to dispel it) and killed him at the last second.

Man, I haven't had an adrenaline rush from a fight like that since Ascension Abazigal =P Thanks a lot for your help!

Archived