A fresh start for mods

Guest Sisyphus

Guest Sisyphus

Salvete amici,

I have brought up the prospect of migrating current and future IE mod development (mostly bg2 mods) to the GemRB engine over at the Spellhold studios modding community, as I believe this will benefit both the IE modding community and the development of GemRB

http://www.shsforums.net/topic/47633-a-fresh-start-in-gemrb/

At the moment I am looking for constructive feedback on this idea and how open people are to this line of development.

We look forward to bugreports for bugs unearthed by mods.

There are possibly many differences, some are intended and others are unintended.

And of the unintended, there are quite some we don't yet know of.

We don't promise a full mod compatibility, because GemRB already implements quite a lot of improvements.

Some of the improvements in ToBEx and GemRB are even synchronised, to lessen the burden on modders who want to create long lasting and bug free mods.

it's a lesser change that it may seem and the biggest hurdle is gemrb's uncompleteness/lack of polish. More testing will surely help, especially with obscure stuff, but there are already many bigger things we know we need to do better/anew to make it a true gem. Just testing can't help with that though.

A too early transition would cause only grief. It's too early in my opinion.

it's a lesser change that it may seem and the biggest hurdle is gemrb's uncompleteness/lack of polish. More testing will surely help, especially with obscure stuff, but there are already many bigger things we know we need to do better/anew to make it a true gem. Just testing can't help with that though.

A too early transition would cause only grief. It's too early in my opinion.

Well, that's true. Some of our bugs may seem to be easy to fix, but moving them collapses the whole thing on us.

Or what's worse: it causes some other bug that may be discovered only after a year, when everyone forgot about the original change. This has happened before, and will happen again.

But not all bugs are like this. Sometimes the change really just requires 1-2 lines of code that won't affect anything, but will miraculously fix a mod. I also agree, that testing won't help alone. We need people who are able to change the code without introducing more bugs than they fix :)

Hey, I'm the OP but with my spiffy new registered account. My plan is to keep this thread concurrent to the one over at Spellhold studios, with this thread focusing on development from the engine perspective and the other focusing on development from the modder's perspective

In Avenger's wishlist thread the idea of incorporating some sort of frontend for mods into GemRB was proposed and I think this would make a great starting point. My game plan for this weekend (when I have access to my linux box) is to see if I can write up some gui frame work for this and play around a bit to see whats possible and what can be easily done. The eventual goal for this would be implementing something that is functionally similar to BiG World Setup but can be accessed from within the game. I've PM'ed Leonard asking if he had any advice and/or source code to share regarding this. I would also appreciate any kind of feedback\advice from people here as well.

This may not immediately impact GemRB's completeness/polish but I think it's a reasonably simple and achievable goal that has the potential to add something more to the engine even if it ends up just being ease-of-use.

I'll post more this weekend after I've gotten some work done.

Guest salomonkane
*which unfortunately appears to be that of children

If you're talking about my post, I wasn't insulting you, but that salom.* guy.

It's good to know , the bigg * : I advise you some apologies ...

How about no. People who post a tower of questions without even bothering to try and understand the subject at hand and can't write proper English (where every sentence has a subject and a verb) deserve only mockery when they go on the Internet.

Guest salomonkane
How about no. People who post a tower of questions without even bothering to try and understand the subject at hand and can't write proper English (where every sentence has a subject and a verb) deserve only mockery when they go on the Internet.

You are not rude you are just vulgar,

I might add : "There are only mountains that never meet" .

Sure, a frontend for mods would help. From ingame (before loading a real game) you could do much, but things like dialog.tlk would need to be reread, since almost all mods modify it. Gui mods would still require a restart or some hard cleanup to enable on-the-fly reloading.

Probably much easier to do with an extra application, a separate mod manager frontend over weidu. You could just take an existing package manager and modify it slightly.

Archived