Characterization advice sought for BGII joinable NPC dialogue

ericp07

Hello,

Recently, I read that, in the Forgotten Realms, Sylvan Elves have a zest for life and pleasure, and that other Elven subraces consider them to be boisterous and hedonistic. I find this amusing, and I'd like to reflect it in Meleryn's personality (my female Sylvan Elf npc) while writing her spoken dialogues. So, I'd like to ask if anyone would either give me some ideas of how to reflect this aspect of her personality and outlook during dialogue exchanges with the PC and others, whether party members or non-joinable NPCs, or point me to any writing style help that might be available for reading. I predict that this might add to the fun and interest of the mod :) Meleryn isn't a "loose woman," sexually speaking, but her interest in pleasure will definitely lend itself well to her optional romance path. Of course, pleasure in various forms is the issue here, not just focus on physical intimacy.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Eric

Hello,

Recently, I read that, in the Forgotten Realms, Sylvan Elves have a zest for life and pleasure, and that other Elven subraces consider them to be boisterous and hedonistic. I find this amusing, and I'd like to reflect it in Meleryn's personality (my female Sylvan Elf npc) while writing her spoken dialogues. So, I'd like to ask if anyone would either give me some ideas of how to reflect this aspect of her personality and outlook during dialogue exchanges with the PC and others, whether party members or non-joinable NPCs, or point me to any writing style help that might be available for reading. I predict that this might add to the fun and interest of the mod :) Meleryn isn't a "loose woman," sexually speaking, but her interest in pleasure will definitely lend itself well to her optional romance path. Of course, pleasure in various forms is the issue here, not just focus on physical intimacy.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Eric

In case it's relevant, I'm doing my best to avoid any action text while writing dialogues. This means no use of parentheses or asterisks to describe actions.

- E

Searching the Web for fantasy romance writing yields many useful links (dogpile.com to the rescue!), so I'm checking out some of them. Lots of good advice for writing, but I'm still interested in what anyone who's written romance for BGII may have to say about what makes for good (and bad) writing. One key point I've read is that dialogue should always drive the story forward, and it's good to have the NPC speak in a way that conveys some degree of tension, as well as to avoid excessive exposition when discussing a given topic.

The floor is open for comments :)

Thanks,

Eric

Keep in mind that broad generalizations are just that. If the Meleryn that speaks to you is not boisterous or hedonistic, there is no need for her to conform to any expectations except your own.

I considered whether or not these traits would fit my vision. They could exist in her attitudes and interests, but they clash (in my mind) with her high degree of patience and compassion. Perhaps I'll be able to focus the traits more specifically, and assert themselves under the right conditions. A friend suggested I illustrate a hedonistic streak by Meleryn's love of good food. It's something to kick around. I realize that details should exist only if they're consistent, help define the character, and help drive the story. I'm not about to completely recreate her personality, but to keep her as a fairly happy, enthusiastic fish-out-of-water...or Elf-out-of-forest, in her case (which might also invite opportunities to write some humorous stuff).

Any and all further commentary is most welcome and valued :)

Thanks,

Eric

Check cmorgan's Aran forum for "boisterous and hedonistic" characterisation. Obviously, your character would have a different voice, but same concept.

Interesting--and very appropriate--source to cite, as I've been using coding structures from Aran's dialogue files to help me expand and flesh out Meleryn's own dialogues. I'll pay closer attention to the content in those files, as well as the structuring.

Thanks!

Eric

I'm not about to completely recreate her personality, but to keep her as a fairly happy, enthusiastic fish-out-of-water...or Elf-out-of-forest, in her case (which might also invite opportunities to write some humorous stuff).

Keep up these jokes, and you'll have an amazing NPC. Regardless of whether she fits some wood elf stereotypes or not. :)

I'm not about to completely recreate her personality, but to keep her as a fairly happy, enthusiastic fish-out-of-water...or Elf-out-of-forest, in her case (which might also invite opportunities to write some humorous stuff).

Keep up these jokes, and you'll have an amazing NPC. Regardless of whether she fits some wood elf stereotypes or not. :)

That's encouraging :) There are still undefined details of this young woman's personality that I'd like to establish, as I want her to appear as a living person with various interests and concerns. She's lived long enough, and learned enough, to have plenty to discuss and to add as a traveling and adventuring companion. It occurs to me that I also need to establish consistent, identifiable speech patterns (maybe using one or more "tags" or catch phrases that she uses in certain circumstances). It's noted somewhere in print that Sylvan Elves of the Realms speak in a softer and slower manner than other Elves, and this is meant to characterize them as less refined and civilized, compared to Sun or Moon Elves. I don't know what that's supposed to sound like when a person speaks, but her phrasing should be plain, down to earth, and perhaps not so poetic (again, as compared to the speech of other Elves). Maybe flavoring her spoken lines with words and phrases that are nature-based (especially if they're forest-centric)...but I don't want her sounding like Cernd :D

I'll pull up my notes on Meleryn's personality, what I've worked up so far, and maybe ask what kinds of details need to be included, and what I don't need to be too concerned about if it's not defined at the outset.

Meanwhile, I'm reading through many articles about literary character writing and romance writing, and searching for more tips on writing dialogue. The notion has lately surfaced in my jumble of thoughts that the romance component of this mod will be MUCH more significant to Meleryn's story that I had originally thought or planned. I feel that this new attitude will inspire me to write a much more worthwhile and interesting character and story (and she'll still be friendly, if there's no romantic spark, as long as she's treated decently).

Thanks!

Eric

Archived