Version 16 released

DavidW

I don't think "i.e." or "e.g" are abbreviations. I think they're English words whose etymology is that they derive from abbreviations of Latin terms.
They're considered abbreviations, even in English.

I disagree with the OED here.

(EDIT: actually, checking the local version, it doesn't get identified as an abbreviation. So I think I only disagree with the free version of the OED.)

The symmetry group of the gluon field is SU(3), which acts irreducibly on V = su(3) via the adjoint representation:

Ad(g)v = g v g^{-1}

There is nothing wrong with the English of that sentence, except that it lacks a verb for the subject (leaving out the ", which" would resolve that, though that may not be the full sentence).

No, it doesn't; and no, it wouldn't. Compare

"The most dangerous defender of the hive is the Hive Mother, which can be found in the far east room"

with

"The most dangerous defender of the hive is the Hive Mother can be found in the far east room".

I can't say I know what it means, but it's possible I might in context after reading the whole thing carefully. The main goal of academic work should be to inform one who isn't familiar with the subject, not reiterate known material to one who already is familiar with it, no?

Yes, but only on the assumption that "one who isn't familiar with the subject" has still studied graduate-level quantum mechanics and group theory.

Feel free to file a grievance with Oxford :). (Also feel free to point out a 'word' with stops/periods in it that isn't an abbreviation, aside from outright obscurities.)

Edit: If your dictionary doesn't identify it as an abbreviation, then what part of speech *does* it identify it as? Usually there is a designation immediately after the term (such as n., v., adv.).

No, it doesn't; and no, it wouldn't. Compare

"The most dangerous defender of the hive is the Hive Mother, which can be found in the far east room"

with

"The most dangerous defender of the hive is the Hive Mother can be found in the far east room".

Agreed; somehow I missed the "is" in your sentence. I've been poring over arcane WeiDU code for several hours and have lost the ability to comprehend English.
Feel free to file a grievance with Oxford :). (Also feel free to point out a 'word' with stops/periods in it that isn't an abbreviation, aside from outright obscurities.)

Edit: If your dictionary doesn't identify it as an abbreviation, then what part of speech *does* it identify it as? Usually there is a designation immediately after the term (such as n., v., adv.).

adv.

Added old visuals
DEFINE_ACTION_MACRO ~ardanis_spell_shield~ BEGIN

The 'scsii/beholder/beholder.tph', ~beholder_pnp_antimagic~ macro. I suppose the

COPY_EXISTING 
~spin992.spl~ ~override/dw#behan.spl~ // beholder
~spin550.spl~ ~override/dw#hivan.spl~ // hive mother

sould be changed to

COPY_EXISTING 
~spin992b.spl~ ~override~ // beholder
~spin550b.spl~ ~override~ // hive mother

Custom filenames for rays are already generated by ~beholder_core~ macro, and their actual effects will have been transferred to Bs by Spell Shield macro from the initailising component.

Now the portrait icon displayed is (0) ''charm'' ( change parameter1 -> parameter2 in the script ), and the play 3d effect + display portrait icon are added 10 times, once for every spell you're protected by, harmless but ugly.

The spell shield portrait icon should be (73) btw: (123) shows the protection from magic energy. See here.

Description (duration) isn't accurate yet ( but for that I guess we have to wait for next upload in order to change the scsII\spell\spwi519.spl file ).

The latter fix is indeed working and beside cosmetic issues spell shield is working as intended against beholders.

Now if only DW could be so nice to fix that invisibility targeting issue ( or point out what I shall modify ) I'd be rdy for some scs2 playtesting :)

I shall already start if you tell me that I can safely change some .bcs mid game because it's going to take a while before I meet an evil eye anyway.

Now the portrait icon displayed is (0) ''charm'' ( change parameter1 -> parameter2 in the script ), and the play 3d effect + display portrait icon are added 10 times, once for every spell you're protected by, harmless but ugly.

I swear to Bhaal, one more embarrasment like that and I'm relieving myself of the 'modder' tag...

So the initial spwi519.spl patching must be appended with

PHP_EACH spellshieldheader AS ind => res BEGIN
LPF ADD_SPELL_EFFECT INT_VAR
  header=ind+1
  opcode=215 // play 3d effect
  target=1
  duration=res
  power=5
  parameter2=1
STR_VAR resource = ~spturni2~ END
LPF ADD_SPELL_EFFECT INT_VAR
  header=ind+1
  opcode=142 // display portrait icon
  target=1
  duration=res
  power=5
  parameter2=73 // spell shield
END
 END

and both these LPFs removed from under ACTION_FOR_EACH.

As for which portrait icon to use, I'm unsure what to do. The correct icon now can be displayed, perhaps Fixpack's patch should be reverted then? Or, assuming, SCS has Fixpack as a prerequisite, it probably is fine to use FP's version.

Broken duration is the vanilla thing, it says 3 rounds/turn, but instead it's a single header for 9th level with 6 round/lvl progression.

As for which portrait icon to use, I'm unsure what to do. The correct icon now can be displayed, perhaps Fixpack's patch should be reverted then? Or, assuming, SCS has Fixpack as a prerequisite, it probably is fine to use FP's version.

Broken duration is the vanilla thing, it says 3 rounds/turn, but instead it's a single header for 9th level with 6 round/lvl progression.

Reading the board looks like there are people installing scs(2) w/o the fixpack but I suppose that is causing worse issues than a portrait icon. So let follow the RTFM applied to ReadMes rule and go for (73)

Didn't know about the vanilla issue, I standardize most of the spell durations so I changed Spell Shield one to 5 turns for semplicity sake. Changing descritpions is not SCS2 job but it's a little effort.

Is it safe to swear to a dead god? :)

Now if only DW could be so nice to fix that invisibility targeting issue ( or point out what I shall modify ) I'd be rdy for some scs2 playtesting :)

Edit scsii/setup-scsii.tp2. In the beholder sections (there are four, consecutive, chunks of "smarter beholder" code) you'll find this:

<<<<<<<< .../scsii-inline/ssl.2da

scsii/beholder/elderorb
scsii/beholder/dw#elder
scsii/beholder/dw#udeld
scsii/beholder/beheld01
scsii/beholder/dw#vaxal
scsii/beholder/global_steal

>>>>>>>>

LAUNCH_ACTION_MACRO ~SSL~

OUTER_SPRINT ~sslvariables~ ~%sslvariables_save%~
OUTER_SPRINT ~sslvariables~ ~%sslvariables%~^~&beholderinvischeck=~

scsii/beholder/behold01
scsii/beholder/behund01
scsii/beholder/gauth01
scsii/beholder/behhiv01
scsii/beholder/ii1
scsii/beholder/dw#tygol

>>>>>>>>

Replace it with

scsii/beholder/elderorb
scsii/beholder/dw#elder
scsii/beholder/dw#udeld
scsii/beholder/beheld01
scsii/beholder/dw#vaxal
scsii/beholder/global_steal
scsii/beholder/behold01
scsii/beholder/behund01
scsii/beholder/gauth01

>>>>>>>>

LAUNCH_ACTION_MACRO ~SSL~

OUTER_SPRINT ~sslvariables~ ~%sslvariables_save%~
OUTER_SPRINT ~sslvariables~ ~%sslvariables%~^~&beholderinvischeck=~

scsii/beholder/behhiv01
scsii/beholder/ii1
scsii/beholder/dw#tygol

>>>>>>>>

Then reinstall.

(Or wait till tomorrow, when hopefully I'll update. )

Replying belatedly to Ardanis/Raj on Spell Shield:

(i) many thanks for the code; stealing it now.

(ii) I try to avoid actually assuming FP is present (though I don't test extensively without it)

(iii) I think the easiest thing to do about the icon is just make it dependent on whether FP or equivalent is installed

Archived