Cold Shoulder in Underdark

Shiyuu

Well, first of all, I would like to say that I enjoyed romance with Sarah very much… Until we’ve got to Underdark, that is.

Prior to that, lovetalks stopped around chapter 3 ~ 4, but since I could still flirt with Sarah I assumed that my romance was alive and she was just scripted not to initiate lovetalks in chapter 4 (which makes sense she we are about to confront Irenicus and all).

In Underdark, however, she stops flirting; instead, when I try to flirt with her, I get the following reception:

(Sarah notices you starring at her and sighs.)

I am sorry, CHARNAME, did you need something? I figured we needed to stay focused if we’re going to get out of this alive.

Now, I understand the situation, but this response strikes me as more then a little cold. Does it means that our romance is dead, or it will still continue after the Underdark? (By the way, I can still flirt with her back in the City-of-Caverns, but as soon as we enter the Underdark flirting abruptly stops.)

For reference, our romance progressed just fine in the chapter 2; I can’t imagine any responses that might have killed it, although we didn’t get, ahem, intimate yet. In chapter 3 lovetalks seems to have mostly (or completely, I don’t recall) stopped, beside Sarah’s quest (meeting her mother and acquiring a cure for her uncle), which I naturally completed.

Overall, I am not sure what could have killed our romance, beside, perhaps, not progressing far enough into the romance by the time of Underdark (but I understood that most – or all – other romances continue normally in chapter 6, and don’t require being completed before going after Imoen).

Underdark flirts are usually suspended for all of that chapter, unless the modder has specifically written ones for Underdark itself (I think that is Edwin Romance Flirt addition... I don't think any other mods currently released have special content like that).

True on both counts - I should have remembered that.

On the "check the romance" front, what are Sarah's romance variables set to? That is the most efficient way of determining if the romance is still progressing.

True on both counts - I should have remembered that.

On the "check the romance" front, what are Sarah's romance variables set to? That is the most efficient way of determining if the romance is still progressing.

Thank you very much for your help, Cmorgan. (I was kind of hoping for creator's response, if truth be told, but it doesn't look like it'll be happening.)

Anyway..

K#SARAHROMANCEACTIVE = 2
(It is her romance variable, I think)

Of her other variables..

K#SARAHFRIENDSHIPACTIVE = 3

K#SARAHPRETALK = 7

K#SARAHQUEST = 5

K#SARAHQUESTCOMPLETE = 1

K#SARAHQUESTTALK = 2

K#SARAHQUESTWAIT = 2

K#SARAHTALKFRIEND = 7

K#SARAHTALKROMANCE = 19

Hi, sorry - been at gdc the past few days and haven't really been checking messages unless they are through my phone.

Your romance variable looks fine - you didn't kill it. What happened is that you went through all the lovetalks except for two I believe. Try resting in a forest area after you finish the Underdark. There is still more content just no more lovetalks until ToB.

Thank you for your reply, Theacefes, and sorry for my own belated response (got a little side-tracked by Fallout 3, if truth be told ^_^; )

By the way, if you don't mind a bit of advice, perhaps Sarah's response to player-initiated talk could be changed a little? As I said in the first post, the way she responds now feels rather cold, especially considering what CHARNAME was put through just a short time earlier, and to me it felt like she meant that our relationship is over. And considering that CHARNAME and her sister just had their souls stolen from them, I would think that Sarah would act a bit warmer towards her love interest, even if she isn't in mood for flirting at the moment..

Archived