Version 17 released

DavidW

Version 17 of SCSII is now available. This is the usual slightly-embarrassed rapid update I always seem to end up doing whenever I do a major new release. It should fix the several rather problematic bugs that turned up in v16; you should be able to update from version 16 "in flight", so to speak. Apologies to anyone who was inconvenienced; in hindsight, given the scale of the changes I should have done a beta release.

Full changelog:

New or heavily modified content

Updated French translation

Added Linux support (thanks to TheBigg for coding this up)

Minor tweaks, optimisations, and additions

Ease-of-use AI no longer tries to target Mordenkainen's Swords

Under-the-hood change: light streamlining of ease-of-use AI SSL code (suggested by TheBigg)

Ease-of-use AI uses Goodberries before, rather than after, healing potions

Beholders try harder not to use their eyestalks on creatures currently affected by their anti-magic ray (if the PnP version of antimagic is in use)

Dragons are slightly better at chasing party members who run away

Red dragons are slightly more willing to use their breath weapon at close range

Under-the-hood change: streamlined beholder coding

Bugfixes

Beholders no longer see invisible opponents (Hive mothers still do, as in the vanilla game)

Multi-class fighters no longer get illegal numbers of proficiencies

Some remarkably badly-written code to handle golems and insta-kill weapons has been removed (it was causing crashes with Crom Faeyr and the Golem Smiting Rod). Golems no longer get immunity to vorpal weapons as a result: the systematic work to make this possible is more in the scope of an item-revision mod.

Corrected a bug where, if HLAs were made into innate effects, all high-level spellcasters got them irrespective of player preference

Corrected a typo that was preventing clerics from using Summon Elementals correctly

"Make HLAs innate" component no longer removes HLAs from multi-class characters

Improved Minor Encounters now installs even when installed at a different time from Smarter Priests or Improved Drow. (Don't ask.)

Updated Spell Shield macro to Ardanis' improved version

Rearranged the ordering of Detectable Spells so that it correctly detects level drain (thanks to Wisp for spotting this)

Under the hood change: slight recoding of SSL to avoid some glitches (again, thanks to Wisp for suggesting this)

Resolved compatibility problems between Spell Shield fix and beholder eyestalks

Fixed a typo that prevented fighter-mages from casting Spider Swarm and Mordenkainen's Sword

Compatibility fixes

Fighter proficiency mod now checks (a bit crudely) to see if any other mod has changed the proficiency rules

If Fixpack isn't installed, the Slower Reputation Increase component runs Fixpack's stable of dialog compilation fixes. (This should cut down on large numbers of harmless warnings)

Slower Reputation component no longer chokes if other mods have corrupted scripts, and generally runs a bit more smoothly (thanks to TheBigg for help coding this)

Guest Achilles

Hi, congrats on the new releases! I just have a quick question re: installing. The readme mentions SCSII now installs and makes use of TobEx (which I do not have yet as I was not aware of its obscure existence), however TobEx is recommended to be installed first, and SCSII is recommended last, or thereabouts. So how does that work? Do I assume the SCSII+TobEx version must work uniquely at the end of the mod order, or mayhaps I should uninstall everything and start fresh? (A daunting task) (I'm still using SCSII v15 so I'd have to completely remove that anyway)

Let me take this opportunity to say thanks for your great work with this beasty of a mod! :)

Hi, congrats on the new releases! I just have a quick question re: installing. The readme mentions SCSII now installs and makes use of TobEx (which I do not have yet as I was not aware of its obscure existence), however TobEx is recommended to be installed first, and SCSII is recommended last, or thereabouts. So how does that work? Do I assume the SCSII+TobEx version must work uniquely at the end of the mod order, or mayhaps I should uninstall everything and start fresh? (A daunting task) (I'm still using SCSII v15 so I'd have to completely remove that anyway)

There's no need to install ToBEx separately; SCSII does it for you. Conversely, if you have got it installed, it's not a problem for SCSII.

Let me take this opportunity to say thanks for your great work with this beasty of a mod! :)

Thanks!

I think the new ''Antimagic attacks penetrate Improved Invisibility'' component made so that Spell Thrust and Secret Word no longer bypass (Minor) Globe of Invulnerability because their power is set at 3/4 instead of 0.

I have to point out that targetting antimagic became really hard after spells lose their 5'' radius (you can still target them at the ground for no effect), guess I'll revert to the old system.

Edit: nvm, guess there's something bugged; I'm fighting Rayic Gerthas with GoI, Spell Turning, II: after long aiming I can hit him with a secret word ( changed locally to power 0 ), that gets rid of Spell Turning. Later attempts can't take down the GoI no matters what. He later fires a Spell Shield/SI:Div/II trigger, and after another secret word I get the message ''spell shield dispelled'' ( so that component seems working as intended ), but later attempts to take down the globe keep failing.

Secret Word having power 4 is vanilla. You've always needed Pierce Magic or better to get rid of GoI. (Not that that necessarily explains your problems.)

Then maybe I'm used to SR because in the latest 50-60 playthrough SW always dispelled GoI. Always used SR followed by SCS2. Things changed with this version.

David,

I sent you the update of the french translation last night. Can you replace the current one by the one I sent you, please? Because there is another french directory in the current one. :)

I f you could only use the one I sent you, it would be great. :)

Thanks

(I sent you SCS' one too)

After some testing my problem seems related to antimagic that have been granted an aoe effect ( by SR I guess, as I'm using option 1 of scs2), as spell strike, secret word, ruby rays and spellstrike have issues dispelling even (minor) spell deflection/turning, while the other antimagic work fine; reinstalling now SR with the antimagic spells commented out.

Edit: After uninstalling the Secret Word & Co. components from Spell Revision, the ''Antimagic attacks penetrate II'' component works as intended, so a compatibility fix is needed.

After some testing my problem seems related to antimagic that have been granted an aoe effect ( by SR I guess, as I'm using option 1 of scs2), as spell strike, secret word, ruby rays and spellstrike have issues dispelling even (minor) spell deflection/turning, while the other antimagic work fine; reinstalling now SR with the antimagic spells commented out.
:) But they worked fine! Could it be that the old AoE system doesn't go along well with ToBEx flag to make them bypass II? Does the most recent SCS version patch them in any different way? I'd like to know what's happening because if something that previously worked is broken and I'd like to fix it.

Wait a second, Secret Word is not working? It doesn't have an AoE anymore within SR's most recent hotfix, thus I assume SCS's option 1 (I don't know what it is right now) is the one still using the old AoE system, right? I don't see how SR could be the source of the problem. :)

All SCS does to the antimagic spells is make them able to target invisible creatures; I don't otherwise mess with anything. So I don't think any of the anomalies described can be due to either SCS alone, or to any compatibility issue.

I don't know, I always used SR + SCS2 and they were working fine together. The new SCS2 option that makes use of ToBEx ''II targettability'' seems to change some spells ( namely, those that are granted a AoE with SR: ST, SW, RR, SS <- acronyms galore ) so that I can still target the ground with them ( yellow cursor everywhere ) but if I don't point it exactly on the enemy's feet then the spell is wasted because it loses its small AoE.

Pierce Magic, Pierce Shield and Khelben Warding Whip work fine.

Edit: I'm re-installing for the nth time in order to fix a compatibility issue between ToBEx and SR-Taimon's Dispel Magic fix ( my fault, as it's written - a bit hidden - in the .ini that they aren't compatible together; many people use SR+SCS anyway so it's worth nothing here that you shall stop use that fix ); in 10-15 mins I might be able to try replicate the AoE issue on a cleaner install

Oh, wait, my mistake: there is some SR-SCSII compatibility code (hidden where I wasn't expecting it). Let me have a look.

EDIT: Yes, hold off installing for 5 minutes, I'll upload a fix.

Oh, wait, my mistake: there is some SR-SCSII compatibility code (hidden where I wasn't expecting it). Let me have a look.

Which one of the two compatibility issues does it fixes? The one regarding anti-magic? I'm asking to understand if I have to do something or not...

Which one of the two compatibility issues does it fixes? The one regarding anti-magic? I'm asking to understand if I have to do something or not...

It fixes the antimagic-spells-targeting problem. (SCSII reverted the AoE from SR antimagic, but there was a bug in the code).

Archived