SoA Feedback

Raj

This isn't remotely relevant and you may have fixed this in a recent patch, but I was just stopping by and wanted to mention that the Dragons in your Improved Abazigal's Lair are vulnerable to vorpal weapons and it ruins most of the challenge.

Incendiary Cloud@David, do you think it would be better to remove the decreased visual range effect?
On balance, yes. It's a cute idea, but in a top-down, tactical party-based game, it's less good in practice than in theory.
Something tells me I'll have to remove it for V4 then. Sad panda. :)

Personnally I find feeblemind pretty appealing. Many monsters are immune to chaos and charm, especially undead, fiends and dragons. (and all boss of ascenscion)

Maybe FtS is more appealing but it takes a 6e slot. Well I think it can be good to economize a 6e level slot sometimes... Futhermore, I like to finish an enemy in melee. (especially a dragon with 600hp)

I have win ascension thanks to feeblemind.

Having said that, maybe creatures immune to chaos and charm shoud also be immune to feeblemind.

About FtS, If it remains too appealing (especially in a Trigger), maybe we could make this spell destroy equipement again?

This isn't remotely relevant and you may have fixed this in a recent patch, but I was just stopping by and wanted to mention that the Dragons in your Improved Abazigal's Lair are vulnerable to vorpal weapons and it ruins most of the challenge.

What version are you playing?

(Just to clarify: I think you know this, but Ust Natha is supposed to be ridiculously difficult?)

It wouldn't be fun if it wasn't.

Uth Natha: Impossible without exploits/multiple clones/party over the SoA cap/good cpu.

Try this. Trick is to have five physical dps, and a very well build mage. 127 fire resistance, and just cover the entire city with incen clouds, fireballs and sunbursts. It's STILL a dice roll in stage 3, but it's doable even without lvl 9 spells.

Or at least was, the last time i've played was v13. Doing a new LP as we speak.

But yes, good cpu is absolutely required. However, good by BG2 standards. You don't need a quad to play ust natha. It gets choppy, but even a 2200 athlon is enough if you pause like mad.

The fight is much tougher with yo' regular vanilla party, but i wouldn't recommend playing on insane with Jaheira & co. Evil party would have a huge advantage here.

And last, but not least, it IS one of the toughest, and most enjoyable modded fights in Baldur's Gate 2.

Also : Hello G3! Long time no see! :)

Heh ty but I wasn't asking for battle hints; BG is a single-player game and I play with a bunch of edits and house rules so that most comparisons are impossible.

Some examples: I never equip my proud fighters with mundane weapons to deal with pfmw, never rest till somebody is tired and always in inns/safe areas, never prebuff before ambushes always making my low wisdom PC look surprised and unbuffed when that poor golden skull I helped decides to attack me :) and so on, trying to avoid metagaming. That's mostly because I played the game more times I want to admit.

I pleased my ego clearing Uth Natha once and Incendiary Cloud helped a lot, but under Spell Revision elemental protection spells make you immune to the spell itself so there's no 127+ fire res -> heal; sunfire doesn't bypass MR anymore too; different rules, different games.

Valen, Anti-Paladins with Unholy Reaver and Kurosain's katana are good memories but they are way unbalanced for my actual standards.

It's odd that your party wasn't over the SoA cap, but I guess we play different because I never go early anymore to WK, nor I go after the SotM before the Underdark; my mages, recruited at 161000 and 400000 xp, were lvl 17 by the end of the Underdark afaik, after doing most of the quests in chap 2-3 ( no liches/Kangaxx/Guarded Compound/Alhoon/Rune/Dragons ).

Btw, something that could help a SCS2 player a lot given the abundancy of potions dropped by enemies ( I think I'll cut that % to 1/4 ) is mass use of potions, but I almost never use consumables: oddly enough in all these years I never ever used a scroll of magic protection, I always end putting those things in a container thinking ''I'll use this later'', same with any high level scroll or rare potion; maybe drinking a ton of potions of magic protection and using those green scrolls could make Kangaxx and the Rune a pushover but I fear I'll never post a review about that. Lazy me.

Archived