Installing weidu mod deletes bgmain.exe

kilolima

Hi, I'm just trying to install the weidu mods from this site, but running into problems:

First, the weidu DOS exe refuses to run, I remember this problem from several years ago if the setup-*.exe wasn't the latest version of weidu, so I would manually rename another later version and then run it. But for some reason in Win7/64 the files are deleted but still linger in the directory until a reboot or logout.

And then, while installing spell-revisions and the SC Strategems II mod on two separate install attempts, they exited with errors and then I noticed that BGMain.exe had been deleted! How is this even possible?!

So, so far I have had no luck getting BG2 installed on a modern windows machine.

cheers,

kilolima

So, so far I have had no luck getting BG2 installed on a modern windows machine.
That's because you install it into the C drives Program Files sub-folder.

Install the game to anywhere else, and you are fine. To read more about this particular thing, read this.

Hi all,

Unfortunately, I deleted the failed BG2 install before I could record the error message. However, it was installed to c:\games\bg2.

I didn't think a mod could touch bgmain.exe but somehow while installing mods it was deleted.

I turned off the Win7 compatibility assistant and will try this again.

Thanks!

kilolima

crikey, now, when installing the TOB patch, the installer reports that BGconfig.exe cannot be altered, and when I exit the installer and try to run it, it says it's not accessible. And then after a file list refresh it is gone. Then I run the patch installer again, this time it claims bgmain.exe is not accessible.

Is this a windows 7x64 issue, a strange bg2-only disabling virus, or something else?!

I strongly suspect that Windows 7 is trying to protect you form yourself!

If you installed BG2 in the default directory and have User Account Control active in your security settings, the game does not actually get installed where it says it does. Actually, that is innacuate... I guess the best way of describing it is that Windows 7 creates a virtual copy of it and then tries to protect it from malicious changes by viruses.

The end result is that you end up not being able to modify/patch/do anything to the game.

The solution is to install it to a different user-created directory, and work on it there. You probably want to install it using "administrator" access, and do the same for each of the mods you want to add.

Archived