V6 reports

To you both: Welcome aboard. Fresh eyes and minds are always helpful. Please report any problem you have, even if someone has already reported it. This is still an open BETA, and you may note what someone else missed.

Thank you. Not sure how useful I'll be, as I never played the original IWD. Have only played BG and BG2, so I won't be able to tell if something's different. Can keep my eye peeled for errors though, easily enough.

I have noticed one thing so far.

While creating an Archer, I got to the proficiency page and it already had 2 points in Two-weapon style. For proficiency system i'm using the following:

~ICE_TUTU_TWEAKS/SETUP-ICE_TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #103 // Alter Weapon Proficiency System (the bigg) -> BG-Style Proficiencies with Weapon Styles (better, unsafe for old saves)

I was unable to remove these points and they do show up in the character's description in-game.

Guest Sterling Archer
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems I've fixed it and it's now going through a very long install, as advertised. and it runs fine.

Used the following as paths:

B:\BG2

B:\IWD

C:\IcewindTUTU

IWD and BG2 can be in Program Files (copying from here is ok), IWDinBG2 cannot be installed directly here. If you move your folder after installing and edit ini file itll work in Program file folder.

regards

Thank you. Not sure how useful I'll be, as I never played the original IWD. Have only played BG and BG2, so I won't be able to tell if something's different. Can keep my eye peeled for errors though, easily enough.

Just a heads-up. IWD is more dungeon-crawl than RP. This project, along with Kulyok's IWD NPCs mod (beta for this may be available at PPG), hopes to address that by making the game much more mod friendly.

I'd recommend reading through Dan Simpson's FAQ/walkthrough. Just the FAQ if you don't want spoilers (recommended). You can look through the walkthrough for the random item locations, or I can provide a list for you without having to dig through that part of his work. Just e-mail me.

I'd recommend reading through Dan Simpson's FAQ/walkthrough. Just the FAQ if you don't want spoilers (recommended). You can look through the walkthrough for the random item locations, or I can provide a list for you without having to dig through that part of his work. Just e-mail me.

Seconded, it's a great piece of FAQ. Linked, for convenience.

It wouldn't surprise me if that ranger proficiency thing was completely hardcoded (or there are leftover clab* tables).

Yep, that's BG2 rangers for you: 2 free dual-wielding proficiencies, hardcoded, unmovable (able to add a 3rd, but only for dualwield). Compare to IWD rangers, who got +1 attack per round when single-wielding a one-handed weapon to simulate that without implementing dualwielding... which was, for most intents and purposes except stat/protection bonuses, more powerful - but only available to rangers in vanilla IWD.

***WARNING: long IMHO rant****

Btw, cool mod, but a few hours in, I caught myself asking just one critical question: WHY? Kits? The sorc and undead hunter I threw into my party had the potential for unbalancing the game without any actual penalties save inability to dualclass or multiclass them... Cuz scrolls being rare as they are, the sorc's limited but free spell choice is actually a benefit instead of a weakness, since IWD spellstarved first casters somewhat, second casters horribly, and two-arcane-caster smaller than 6 man parties debilitatingly... Undead hunter? Lose nothing (lay hands? always useless. paladin in the party? already almost a must) for massive bonuses to cakewalk a whole chapter. Also, Ranger/Cleric's free druid spells for all levels carried over from BG... I had hoped to offset all these freebies with insane difficulty - but oops - IWD doled out more experience for that; the BG2 engine didn't. So that no longer quite worked out.

Sure... there's definite POTENTIAL here, but it seems like it requires a rebalancing mod ala Tactics or something, but just for balance's sake.

And as to animation... anybody else miss IWD's straightforwardly drawn sprites, as compared to BG2's sorta surreal weapons and armor animations?

As to NPCs, the idea was cool and could introduce balance, but their problem? They were point starved. IWD was a min-maxer's hacknslash... 10 dex on tanks? <16 con on anybody? BG series was about a godling and his somewhat more normal sidekicks (and littered with strategically placed items to fix specific sidekicks' faults)... IWD? Think medieval SWAT team, not National Guard washouts.

Seconded, it's a great piece of FAQ. Linked, for convenience.

Agreed, already using. Dan Simpson's FAQs are the best for BG1 and BG2 as well, use them as a checklist every time I do a new playthrough. Haven't found anything so far except the messed up item descriptions. sorry for wasted post.

Running simultaneous games in both IWD and IWD-in-BG2, same party (except paladin is an Undead Hunter and cleric is of Lathander). I've entered and reached level 4 of Severed Hand.

So far the battles balance out. Some "calls" that are weak in one version are full in the other, and vice-versa. The only real problems I've had are the missing random treasures, and quantity 1 of missiles on the skeleton archers.

Another CTD occured in the north area of SE level 2 (AR5002). Took care of the shadowed invader ambush and went to view the map (should have saved first...).

When I redid the level I saved just before dealing with the ramp up to level three (four marksmen and a cleric). When I reran the ambush it didn't go so well so I restored and ran into another problem. Just like my problem with saves in Kuldahar and Lonelywood, those "invisible" enemies were visible. Since I had not triggered the ambush, they just stood there while I butchered them. I solved this problem with the next level 2 rerun by going to another level and returning, triggering the auto-save.

@ Fyl: The Undead Hunter is not as powerful as you assume. There are a few enemies that he's protected against (ghast, ghoul, maybe the Vale shadows), but most strike with weapons or magic, not negative plane energies. He has no special protection from those. And Protection from Evil is limited since most undead are non-intelligent and neutral.

As for scrolls, a mage and bard can both have adequate spell ability with judicious division of the scrolls. I have no doubt two mages can be handled just as effectively. I also have no doubt that, once this project is completed someone will provide a tactics mod - maybe even DavidW himself... ;)

I just want to thank you Grogerson for doing a run-trough, and testing and improving IWD-in-BG2 for all of us ;)

:p Thank you.

Finished the first three levels of Severed Hand. Randoms on the Severed Soul and Serrated Skeleton were dropped, but none in containers. Suggestion on the Shadowed Cloak - description says +15% to Hide in Shadows but gives it to Move Silently. Considering the graphic effect, Hide in Shadows is more appropriate.

Also, regarding Yxunomei casting Cloudkill at her feet in vanilla IWD, I think that was intended. She is immune to it, but no one attacking her with melee weapons is.

I've finally finished Severed Hand. I cleared Sheverash Tower (AR5402/03/04, AR5502), but I couldn't tell Kaylessa. The GLOBAL "SoldiersDead" failed to set - at any number.

Traded the Mythal Theory book with Orrick, got his RANDOM, and have begun Upper Dorn's Deep.

Upper Dorn's Deep is finished. The only issue (not a problem) was the entry point to Krilag's caves. I expected it further back in the passage, not near the entry to it.

Random treasures continue to be a problem. Item of note: when I found Bandoth's assistant(?) at the fallen bridge, the random item with the book showed a "bag" ground icon, but when I tried to get it I'd "find" nothing there.

Hello all,

First of all, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS MOD! ;) I have been dreaming of the day I could have the apocalyptic Kensai/Mage wandering around the northern reaches of Faerun. My brother and I have played all the IE games since we were children, so this is literally a dream come true for us.

We decided to do a run through of this mod in multiplayer, for the sole purpose of a comprehensive bug check (much the same as good man grogerson). We have... well, we've encountered a few problems. There are many that have already been mentioned (absent randomized treasures, weapons missing descriptions, etc.) but there are a few that seem peculiar to multiplayer. A list of the major ones:

1. My brother (server) tried to give me a two handed axe. It disappeared. Adversely, when I took items from my brother's inventory, they didn't disappear.

2. The client (me) can't see the server's characters. This happens a few minutes after loading. He can see me sometimes, but not always.

3. Certain weapons, mainly the two handed axes, turn into gold after a while. It's very confusing to find you are wielding two pieces of gold. This happens after loading.

4. Sound effects and character voices don't appear to work in multiplayer. I don't know if this is true for single player as well...

5. This was a weird one. I was in the basement of the tavern in Easthaven killing those little beetles. My brother was up top doing other fedex quests. I got a text and let my guys have at it so I could answer it. I looked up in time to see the last beetle walk up the stairs and disappear. The game didn't seem to like this and I was promptly presented with an error message which disappeared rather quickly. It had something in it like 'Assertion failure' and 'CPstore.cpp', I think. I don't know if I could reproduce those circumstances so I can't provide a complete and proper error message for you. Apologies.

6. This one is infuriating! Sometimes our characters will take damage twice! As well, they sometimes do damage twice.

7. On loading, my game will remain paused and the server's game will keep moving.

8. Another strange set of circumstances. Due to the obvious weaknesses of low-level Kensai, we have loaded a few times since beginning the game. After talking to Arundel for the Vale of Shadows map location, we went and got our Kensai killed by a yeti. We ended up having to load from the auto-save that happens when leaving Arundel's house. Upon exiting Arundel's house, we found the entirety of Kuldahar infested with Orogs! If memory serves, this means we skipped a few chapters. When we went back inside to escape the monsters our young party couldn't handle, Arundel began to cast offensive spells on us while chattering on about 'the balance.' Rather disturbing.

A few minor things:

1. Some of the weapons in Conlan's shop appear to share ID numbers with the ToB forge-able weapons. As such, these items appear to be the uber-powerful items from the end game of ToB.

2. Putting armor on some units (human females this time) changes their skin texture to chain link under their clothes.

3. The town music plays in Pomab's shop, which doesn't happen in the regular game. Also, the battle music for fighting yeti's in the Vale of Shadows plays inside the crypts as well. Once again, this doesn't happen normally.

Hopefully I haven't just made a list of things people already know and this will be helpful for further debugs of this amazing mod. My brother and I will continue with our multiplayer run through and we will report more bugs as we find them. Thanks again, DavidW, you are a genius.

Welcome and thank you for the post, LajYo'. I'm playing single person multi-player so you and your brother are finding things I won't.

Just finished Wyrm's Tooth. I tried reentering Bandoth's lab (AR6014) with his apprentice's book (and without) and got a CTD. Seems after finishing and leaving the area of Upper Dorn's it becomes inaccessible...

The frost salamander cold aura seems to cause harm at a slower rate than in the vanilla game.

I found a snow troll in AR7002, at (164.531) that does not appear with the other attackers there, and is unkillable even by CTRL+K. I had to save and load the save to reveal it.

I finally found my first animation problem. Frost giants turn into a demon when they use one of their attack swings (not sure which one). Everything else is normal.

Finally, the Hold Monster icon in the mage spellbook is missing.

No problems with random treasures here. They're all carried by enemies...

Now on to Lower Dorn's Deep.

I've finished the main cavern of Lower Dorn's, except for Seth and his thieves.

The first thing I noticed was that the fire salamanders took damage from their own flames as soon as I entered. Some were even stunned (gaze effect).

Tarnished Sentries were affected by the panic effect of Misery's Herald, though fire salamanders apparently were not. Neither seemed affected in vanilla IWD.

Edit: Just thought about my save problem in Kuldahar/Lonelywood/Severed Hand Level 2. Sure enough, it happens here as well. The quick save near the entrance to the palace has several thieves visible at load. The auto save inside the watchtower gives the same problem. Like it or not, these "invisible until" characters need to be addressed. ;)

Archived