Is there a version that doesn't patch bgmain.exe?

ericp07

What is the next step?

Thanks,

Eric

No idea, sorry, because it doesn't happen on my system. Ask someone who knows Macs, maybe? Or persuade someone with a spare chunk of time and a Windows system to do a full install with those scsii.ini modifications - I guess it's theoretically possible they're doing something, but I'm not currently in a position to check.

Ugh, this doth bode ill, methinks :cool:

Well, devSin is the only Mac-savvy modder I know. Maybe he'll be able to shed some light on this situation...but all input is most welcome! I don't want to skip this mod altogether; would be happy enough to revert to a lower version that doesn't utterly destroy ACTION.IDS.

Thanks,

Eric

would be happy enough to revert to a lower version that doesn't utterly destroy ACTION.IDS.
I don't see how this is even possible with WeiDU, unless the Mac version of it and the game are radically different. Even if it were possible to MOVE it out of the override, there should still be a copy of the file in the game's .bif files. Didn't you have this problem with AzenMod too?

I think it is actually much more likely that there is something going on with permissions, or something at the not-weidu level. As I understand it, weidu, regardless of OS, works fundamentally the same way (the only oddity being case-sensitivity on linux that does not occur on OSX or Win[7,x32,x64,XP,ME,98]). This sounds much more like what happens on modern Win7 x64 installs when someone is running virus protection or has installed to the vanilla game directory and has the UAC "protecting" the original copy of the file via use of a virtual copy.

the bigg might be able to help, if you can get logs of it; you could set MODDER in the tp2, and see if you can trace when ACTION.IDS is being manipulated. Before you bug him, go get the data drilled down to what specific call to manipulate ACTION.IDS is failing, and how. That means seraching the DEBUG for those manipulations, and seeing where "warning" "error" and stuff like that pops up. If you are running in terminal, and can turn on logging somehow (I don't know how to do that on a Mac, but Google does, I bet) you might be able to catch what is going on outside of weidu when it tries to make changes on your system.

Edit: To be clear, you are not looking for "parse error" like you have posted - that is a symptom, not the original glitch. You are looking for something that moves or loads ACTION.IDS and attempts to make a change to it. Or, something that is removing files from the override, and is accidentally catching it (but only on Macs, which really should be impossible to do... heh.) The more I think about this, the more it really sounds like a permissions issue where the OS decides it can't write the file to the subdirectory, and silently skips recreating it after modification. That really is the only scenario I can think of that would allow you to restore the original (so it allowed weidu to move the copy from the game data storage to the backup folder inside the mod), but wipe it out when trying to write it (by blocking the new file from being placed in the override). We Windows people have a hard enough time distributing a .command file that has the right permissions to execute, let alone deal with OS permissions sets for subdirectories :cool:

Funny the .command issue should come up, as I never actively use that file, so I don't know how it's accessed and used as part of the mod install process, if at all. But, I digress...

Setup-scsii.DEBUG shows the following during installation of the Antimagic spells component:

Appending [147 RemoveSpellRES(S:Spell*)...] to [ACTION.IDS] because it does NOT contain [147 RemoveSpellRES(S:Spell*)]
Appended text to [ACTION.IDS]
Appending to files ...
[./override/SPELL.IDS] loaded, 24063 bytes

When I look at data/Default.bif in NI, I see that ACTION.IDS is in there, but not in override (which we already know). All .bif files in the data folder have modification dates from 2000 and 2001.

When I get info on the ACTION.IDS file inside override-orig, I find that read & write privileges are set across the board.

I'll see about activating MODDER in the .tp2, and see what information comes of trying another install of the mod.

Very strange stuff here...

Thanks,

Eric

After dropping a copy of ACTION.IDS from the most recent installed SCSII component's backup folder into the game's override folder, I again ran the installer, and was able to successfully install the components I wanted! I'll test the game a bit, to see if any odd crashes or other unwanted behavior occurs.

Maybe we're closer to solving this thing, but I know we're not out of the woods yet.

- E

When I look at data/Default.bif in NI, I see that ACTION.IDS is in there, but not in override (which we already know). All .bif files in the data folder have modification dates from 2000 and 2001.

When I get info on the ACTION.IDS file inside override-orig, I find that read & write privileges are set across the board.

you should be checking permissions on /data/Default.bif.

you should be checking permissions on /data/Default.bif.

Just now checked. Same above: read & write for Owner "ericp", Group "admin", and Others.

- E

I'm starting again from a restored-to-clean install. When I get to the point where I install SCSII, I'll check the override folder after installing each component (I'm crazy that way) for the presence of ACTION.IDS. As soon as I see it vanish, I'll double-check which component did the deed, drop a backed-up copy of the file into override, and proceed with the install run. Will report the results here.

- E

Archived