First time around

Droll

Hey Everyone,

I'm a noob when it comes to adding mods to any infinity engine game and was wondering if I'm on the right track for a full play through, BG1 to TOB. It's been about 10 years since I've played the BG series and would really like to add the best mods possible without drastically changing either the plot line or major character interactions. I'm looking for sensible tweaks and fixes from the original series that'll enhance gameplay. Here's what I've chosen so far:

1. EasyTutu

2. EasyTutu "Degreenifier"

3. BG1NPC Project

4. Unfinished Business

5. BG2 Tweaks

6. Sword Coast Stratagems

Now I know there are many parts to these mods that can be optionally installed and in general I'll be looking for elements that add gameplay, like new missions, content, etc. Also looking to remove exploits, and get a better balanced and challenging game experience. This forum seems link the best place to ask.

Am I missing anything important? Do I have anything that's not needed? Thanks so much for the help.

d

Thanks, these all sound like great suggestions. I am looking for a strong tactical challenge, but not something that's designed for the expert, expert player. RR seems interesting though, if for any reason that it's drawn for ad&d 2nd rules. I'll take a close look before possibly installing.

D

If you have a big resolution screen, please, take a look at Widescreen mod, as mentioned above: the game is fantastic at 1920*1200. For a better experience, Level1NPCs is a good addition(any class combos and stats to your party NPCs, additional: NPC get roughly the same amount of XP as PC on joining) to BG2Tweaks and BG1 NPCs.

Welcome to the forums!

In your playthrough, you would really, really make me happy if you would install the updated version of BG1 Unfinished Business. And, if you want to add another small quest, also the linked new version of The Lure of the Sirine's Call.

They are not officially on the downloads sites yet, as I lack bug reports - which could be a good sign, but truth is that there is not so many players there to test any more.

I will be ready to help in any case of trouble if you do. :cool:

If you have a big resolution screen, please, take a look at Widescreen mod, as mentioned above: the game is fantastic at 1920*1200. For a better experience, Level1NPCs is a good addition(any class combos and stats to your party NPCs, additional: NPC get roughly the same amount of XP as PC on joining) to BG2Tweaks and BG1 NPCs.

Great suggestion and already done. I've got 1920 x 1200 going on my iMac (bootcamp windows 7 64 bit). Took me awhile to figure out how to run 3D acceleration without the glitches, but realized I needed to update my nvidia driver to the latest supported bootcamp version. It's looking great now.

I was really hoping that dragon age was going to have that amazing tactical gameplay the BG series offered but was left being disappointed. After discovering all these great mods, I've decided graphics aren't really that important, and besides the painted backgrounds really hold up.

Welcome to the forums!

In your playthrough, you would really, really make me happy if you would install the updated version of BG1 Unfinished Business. And, if you want to add another small quest, also the linked new version of The Lure of the Sirine's Call.

They are not officially on the downloads sites yet, as I lack bug reports - which could be a good sign, but truth is that there is not so many players there to test any more.

I will be ready to help in any case of trouble if you do. :cool:

Glad to be here and thanks! Yes indeed I'll be running unfinished business for sure and i'll definitely take a look at your mods.

but truth is that there is not so many players there to test any more.

you'd be surprised. i've been (online) gaming with the same 7 friends for more than 10 years; between us we've managed to get at least 20 new BG players the last 5 years. so there are testers, they just don't know it. many of the things i post are actually someone else's concern -- that i may agree with or not, but i like arguing -- except i'm the only forum monkey of the group. :cool:

The options are so varied as to be nearly endless, and you're coming in at an excellent time for mods of quality that far surpasses the very large quantity!

If your surfing should take you to SHS, you should consider downloading and following the BiG World Project's installation instructions, as great care is taken to list the way to install BG mods for maximum compatibility.

Explore and enjoy!

Best wishes,

Eric

Be sure to distinguish between BG1 and BG2 content. I can't say much for the TUTU side, since I haven't played it (I prefer vanilla BG1), however I agree BG1 UB and Mini Quests and Encounters are a given. I'd also recommend Xan Friendship for BG1.

I'll stay away from recommendations for BG2 since I've only played it through once...

Archived