Jaheira's spellbook not updated

Guest guest

Look, the way it's working out in-game I can certainly explain...
Understood. This actually induce me to believe it's something else causing it, like a compatibility issue with Divine Remix or Lvl 1 NPC.

A flag within spl files themselves decides if the spell has to be assigned to clerics-paladins and/or druid-rangers at level up. I asked if you were using a pre-generated character because that was the only way I could explain a character starting with wrong spells and then getting correct ones at lvl up. If you create a new character the spells are assigned much like at any lvl up. If the flags are correct, and it seems so as you say spells are correctly assigned at lvl up, there shouldn't be any difference between creating a character and having him/her lvl up.

Divine Remix's sphere system get rid of these flags, and thus isn't going to work well with this component. Afaik Lvl 1 NPC manually assigns spells when you generate a character, but as long as SR's component is installed after Lvl 1 NPC, it should correctly patch the modified characters.

I'll try to reproduce it on a fresh install as soon as I find some time.

Guest guest
Look, the way it's working out in-game I can certainly explain...
Understood. This actually induce me to believe it's something else causing it, like a compatibility issue with Divine Remix or Lvl 1 NPC.

A flag within spl files themselves decides if the spell has to be assigned to clerics-paladins and/or druid-rangers at level up. I asked if you were using a pre-generated character because that was the only way I could explain a character starting with wrong spells and then getting correct ones at lvl up. If you create a new character the spells are assigned much like at any lvl up. If the flags are correct, and it seems so as you say spells are correctly assigned at lvl up, there shouldn't be any difference between creating a character and having him/her lvl up.

Divine Remix's sphere system get rid of these flags, and thus isn't going to work well with this component. Afaik Lvl 1 NPC manually assigns spells when you generate a character, but as long as SR's component is installed after Lvl 1 NPC, it should correctly patch the modified characters.

I'll try to reproduce it on a fresh install as soon as I find some time.

Well, i didn't have divine remix, did have level 1 npcs. I can't see divine remix on the second guest's weidu log either, or did i miss it?...

As i mentioned, i did install SR over L1 Npcs later on, and indeed that specific 'update spellbooks' component an extra time after that too, neither resulted in positive results. Definitely something to check out yourself and fiddle with l1 npcs, scsii, tobex. One of those looks the likely culprit (and when i say scsii i really do mean just tobex, again, coming with it and nothing else, most likely)

Guest Guest

I don't really get it, but maybe the cleric character that comes with BG2 is simply bugged - it starts with druid spells when imported even in the vanilla game. This is not the case for manually created clerics, though, which work just as expected.

Now, for a minimal test case, consider this:

Installing Fixpack, Spell Rev (only the core component and the update spellbook component), and TobEx (only the core component), in that order, seems to work. When installing TobEx before Spell Rev, however, Jaheira does not come with the all spells when freed. Viconia also starts with some, but not all druid spells from level 1 to 4, in particular Shillelagh, Barkskin, Flame Blade and Animal Summoning I.

Ok, I sorted it out with a fresh install, and as I guessed it's caused by ToBEx. More precisely by the ToBEx shipped the latests version of SCSII (I don't know if there's any difference).

With a fresh install and only SR the component was working fine. I created a new game with a cleric and freed Jaheira from the cell, both had correct spellbooks. Then I added SCS initialising component and created a new game again. The cleric seemed fine at first sight, but Jaheira was indeed clearly lacking all the new druid spells.

I'd bet on ToBEx part which implement the scrollable spellbook, but I'll ask at SHS. That being said I'd really appreciate such tweak to not be forced upon us (I don't like it, and it surely isn't a "fix"), at least when ToBEx is used within SCS.

In case it helps, you can manually change TobEx options from your own mod, as long as it's installed after the TobEx core package. For example, here's what I currently do in WSR:

ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~tobex_ini/tobexcore.ini~ BEGIN	// if TobEx is installed
 COPY ~tobex_ini/tobexcore.ini~ ~tobex_ini~
REPLACE_TEXTUALLY CASE_INSENSITIVE EXACT_MATCH ~Magic Resistance Mod Fix=1~ ~Magic Resistance Mod Fix=0~
 BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES
END

In case it helps, you can manually change TobEx options from your own mod, as long as it's installed after the TobEx core package....
Thanks, but the problem is that I don't know what's going on, and what we should change to fix the issue. I guess it's the "scrollable spellbook" part, but it's just a guess. Furthermore, SR has to be installed before SCS and then SCS add ToBEx, thus even after finding out what we have to do the only solution probably is to add ToBEx myself at the beginning of a SR install hoping that makes SCS skip the same process detecting it. ;)
SR has to be installed before SCS and then SCS add ToBEx, thus even after finding out what we have to do the only solution probably is to add ToBEx myself at the beginning of a SR install hoping that makes SCS skip the same process detecting it. ;)
I'm fairly sure this can be done. It's the same installing ToBex at the very start, this will also make SCS skip ToBex (I assume). I've done so before, but never really noticed/don't remember what SCS did.

Cheers

Guest Knightm724

I forcibly disabled TobEx so that it wouldn't run at startup, but still experienced errors similar to that here that some posters are describing (i.e., armor, shield, and other spells not being replaced by their SR variants at chargen spell selection).

I forcibly disabled TobEx so that it wouldn't run at startup, but still experienced errors similar to that here that some posters are describing (i.e., armor, shield, and other spells not being replaced by their SR variants at chargen spell selection).
Could you run a changelog on one of those spells? It would greatly help.

As I said on your other post, it could be Kelsey in this particular case, but more in general we're having many compatibility issues with ToBEx lately, and SCS seems to use it by default, thus I'm not sure it can really be disabled. ;)

Ok, I sorted it out with a fresh install, and as I guessed it's caused by ToBEx. More precisely by the ToBEx shipped the latests version of SCSII (I don't know if there's any difference).

With a fresh install and only SR the component was working fine. I created a new game with a cleric and freed Jaheira from the cell, both had correct spellbooks. Then I added SCS initialising component and created a new game again. The cleric seemed fine at first sight, but Jaheira was indeed clearly lacking all the new druid spells.

I'd bet on ToBEx part which implement the scrollable spellbook, but I'll ask at SHS. That being said I'd really appreciate such tweak to not be forced upon us (I don't like it, and it surely isn't a "fix"), at least when ToBEx is used within SCS.

Any idea if this affects enemy druids also?

Cheers

Any idea if this affects enemy druids also?

Well, if you have SCS their speelbook is created "on the run" and thus they shouldn't be affected. That being said, I really don't know what the hell is going on...

Just a guess but, I think the problem may arise from combining aspects of Taimon's patch with TobEx. According to the TobEx readme, this is not recommended and can lead to problems.

TobEx may have compatibility issues with mods that directly modify the executable. Please apply the troubleshooting tips above if you are having trouble and believe you may be experiencing compatibility issues with other modifications. Modifications that modify the executable include (in alphabetical order):

• 1PP Extended Palette Entries
  • 1PP Female Dwarves
  • 1PP Thieves Galore
  • A6CharmPatch
  • A6XPPatch
  • Aurora's Shoes and Boots
  • Fishing For Trouble
  • Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU (BGT-WeiDU)
  • Infinity Animations
  • Sword Coast Stratagems (SCS)
  • Sword Coast Stratagems II (SCSII)
  • Spell Revisions
  • tb#tweaks
  • tob_hacks
  • tob_inject
  • Widescreen mod
  • Various experience cap patches

I gather that using only one set of exe hacks is the way to go, so players should either only use TobEx or stick with Taimon's stuff. Don't try to combine them.

Just a guess but, I think the problem may arise from combining aspects of Taimon's patch with TobEx. According to the TobEx readme, this is not recommended and can lead to problems.

TobEx may have compatibility issues with mods that directly modify the executable. Please apply the troubleshooting tips above if you are having trouble and believe you may be experiencing compatibility issues with other modifications. Modifications that modify the executable include (in alphabetical order):

• 1PP Thieves Galore

I gather that using only one set of exe hacks is the way to go, so players should either only use TobEx or stick with Taimon's stuff. Don't try to combine them.
Noooo, ToBEx is not compatible with 1PP Thieves Galore? ;)

Anyway, I'm "studying" ToBEx ini for the first time, and I'll try to disable spellbook related tweaks to see if one of them is causing this issue.

Fortunately I've just noticed that ToBEx default seetings doesn't force 'Awaken On Damage' and 'Blindness As Spell Description' because the former would actually break all non-sleep abilities which use sleep opcode as an unconsciousness effect (e.g. Wing Buffet, SR's Gust of Wind, etc.) and the latter would make all SR's description incorrect (in this case I may include it instead and change once again all descriptions if we think -4 hit/AC is better than -10 hit).

I have to look into 'Use Caster Level On Mirror Image', because SR manually sets the # of images you get, and I actually like it to remain so, but there are two MI opcodes, and this tweak may fix only one of the two...

Noooo, ToBEx is not compatible with 1PP Thieves Galore? ;)

I don't think Ascension64 meant that TobEx is inherently incompatible with all exe patching mods. Just that some issues may arise if one uses them together.

However, I'm reasonably sure that using TobEx alongside Taimon's ToB Hacks will cause problems due to overlapping components.

Archived