Gavin for gay men

BelgarathMTH

I'm flattered at the interest, but I am kind of confused about why folks seem to think I have editorial control over this. I like the idea, and I'll support it by helping with the code, but it's totally your call if you want to do the writing for it or not.

Maybe it would help if I explained my attitude about the mod. While Gavin was still in my head, he was my creation. Now that he's "out there," and released as a mod, he is part of the game. Modding him might be more technically tricky than modding BioWare NPCs, but I don't have any more right to tell people what they should do with Gavin than I do to tell them what to do with Anomen, and that includes modding the mod. It's other peoples' time and other peoples' computers. Even if I absolutely hated an idea, and I certainly don't hate this one, the worst I could do would be refuse to contribute. If I loved the idea and if I loved the final project, I might ask permission to include the finished product in the mod itself, but that's the extent of my entitlement, and the new author could always say no.

So, if you want to write, write! With my blessing, and with my thanks for taking an interest in Gavin. If you want coding help or feedback from me, I'll get you access to the workroom so you can post to-be-coded dialogue.

There's nothing stopping anyone from writing a romance for a separate character, but BelgarathMTH and others want one for Gavin. Writing a brand new NPC mod from scratch is a heck of a lot of work. Far easier to adapt an existing mod.

Even if someone does do this, it would take nothing away from players who want Gavin to romance females. If you didn't install the add-on, things would go on as they always have. I have no plans to change the original mods. I recommended keeping the mods separate so that folks who wanted a m/m relationship could have what they wanted without inconveniencing those who want the romance to remain m/f.

Think of it as having two copies of the same film. One copy has subtitles in a different language, the other does not. The original film doesn't change just because somebody decided to publish an edition with subtitles. If you like the film but don't want the subtitles, you can still watch the version that doesn't have them.

And that's assuming that someone decides to make a mod that allows Gavin to romance males. Brei has offered, but that is as far as it has gone.

Edit: In case it was not clear, you will never see a choice like this when you install Gavin.

Romance options: Gavin romances...

1) Females

2) Males

If a mod comes out that adds a m/m option, it will always be a separate mod.

Heh. He stops being "my Gavin" the moment someone installs the mod on their computer. I can't control what people do with him after that and I wouldn't want to try.

Anyway, if you like the mod the way it is, don't worry. Unless somebody figures out a way to hack the server and replace the mod with another, nothing is going to change.

And no, that isn't a challenge. Somebody with skillz like that should probably put them to better use, like world peace or at least free satelite TV.

*pokes*

I'm wondering... is Lathander really that... "liberal?" I mean he is "flaming" but... :laugh:

Strive always to aid, to foster new hope, new ideas, and new prosperity for all humankind and its allies. Perfect thyself, and guard ever against pride, for it is a sacred duty to foster new growth, nurture growing things, and work for rebirth and renewal. Be fertile in mind and in body. Consider always the consequences of thine actions so that the least effort may bring the greatest and best reward. Wherever you go, sow seeds of plants, tend the growing things you find, and plant seeds of hope, new ideas, and plans for a rosy future in the minds of all. Whenever possible, see each dawn.

I'm getting mixed signals from the dogma of Lathander. Bolded are things that could be used to support m/m relationships... the underlined at things that seem against it. I interpret "rebirth" and "new growth" as fertile reproduction. Though they could mean "growing new thoughts and ideas."

Would a deity of athletics, vitality, birth and youth be opposed to homosexuality (since it is not reproductive) or in favor of (since it celebrates the vitality of life and passion)?

Even though there seems to be no mention of m/m in lore, it is probably because it wasn't until recently that games started to tackle big social issues... which explains the lack of confirmation or condemnation.

What do you think?

Forgotten Realms theological debate? Cool! I enjoy it greatly. Especially when it deals with large principles rather than specific individuals.

Lathander is all about encouraging the healthy growth of mind, body, and Toril, with a decided emphasis on beauty. I would say that any attempt to defy, or even deny, biological sexual orientation would probably be as unhealthy as it would be possible to get. If a person is drawn to a member of their own gender, forcing that person to accept a member of the opposite gender instead would hardly nurture a creative mind or a strong body. Besides, spawning young is not the only way to be "fruitful in body." One could argue that the use of one's physical body to cultivate crops, create works, or build shelter for the homeless would satisfy that requirement. After all, no one has yet suggested that Lathander advocates putting infertile people to the sword, or even that priests must personally become parents.

Lathander's friend and sometime lover, Chauntea, is the goddess of agriculture. The dogma of her faith encourages the fertility of the earth, but it specifically leaves human fertility to its own devices. In the portfolio of a goddess who is directly responsible for propegation, the inclusion of this doctrine seems to suggest the intent that people should follow the directives of their own hearts regarding their life-mates as opposed to the dictates of their religion.

I'm not sure we were ever meant to have an official answer here, though. Any visitor to the BioWare Social Network is bound to be confronted with "ZOMG not in my game!!!1!!111!" posts by the bushel, and this is 2011. How would it have been received 10 years ago?

Archived