Optional mod suggestion for magic axes/hammers

Guest Stormbringer

Guest Stormbringer

I'm playing BGT with a PC who has grandmastery in axes (THANKS for the grandmastery fix BTW). My plan is to dual wield axes and eventually an axe with Crom Faeyr (so hard to pass up XD) in the offhand. I have Azuredge and discovered that I can't equip it and also have a weapon in my offhand since it's a "range weapon."

That makes no sense to me since Azuredge, like all magic throwing axes & hammers, is a one hand weapon that automatically returns to the users hand upon striking. Why does my other hand need to be empty? It's not like I need it to grab more ammo (ex. normal throwing axes, daggers, darts, etc.). To hold my beer? ;) Perhaps worse, I can't even dual wield it when set to "melee" mode instead of "thrown."

A character should be able to equip any magic throwing axe/hammer in one of the main hand quick weapons slots and also have a weapon in the offhand. If the magic throwing axe/hammer is in "thrown" mode, then the offhand weapon is disabled. If the axe/hammer set to "melee" mode, or another melee weapon is selected instead, then the offhand weapon is "active" and used normally. Since the BG2 Fixpack has an optional fix for throwing daggers, I thought maybe one could be added to correct this.

One issue I see with this mod is what to do with the offhand weapons's bonuses & abilities when "disabled." My thought is that passive benefits (bonuses to stats, AC, THAC0, saving throws or resitances you get just by holding it) should still apply, but active abilities such as cast ABC spell x times per day are not accessible unless you can use the weapon fully. I'm not a modder so I might be wrong, but my guess is that it's probably more trouble than it's worth to add in this type of detail. Still, even if you lose all benefits when the offhand weapon is disabled, just having the ability to equip a magic throwing axe/hammer along with an offhand weapon is much better than the current restriction.

Thanks.

Guest Stormbringer

Sorry for the double post, but I forgot to add that if this is viewed as more of a "tweak" than "fix," perhaps admin could move to the BG2 Tweaks forum.

Thanks again

A character should be able to equip any magic throwing axe/hammer in one of the main hand quick weapons slots and also have a weapon in the offhand. If the magic throwing axe/hammer is in "thrown" mode, then the offhand weapon is disabled. If the axe/hammer set to "melee" mode, or another melee weapon is selected instead, then the offhand weapon is "active" and used normally.

Item Revisions fixes that, at least the last part.

Item Revisions fixes that, at least the last part.

Thanks for the reply. I'll take a look at the Items Revision mod. I'm pretty sure I didn't install it though some of the components were covered by mods I did install. I can use a shield & still equip Azuredge or boomerang dagger, but not either one if I have an offhand weapon equipped. It's been a long time since I played, the game, but I don't remember this being a problem my first time through. ;)

Archived