Long-term vs. Short-term pre-buff spells

Hey all, this is my first time playing through the SCS II mod and it's been an enormous challenge so far.

One thing I've found counterintuitive is the option to have mages "cast previously" some protective spells.

When I read the description of this mod, for some reason I saw "short-duration" spells, but my mind read "long-duration". And I think, the latter actually makes more sense.

For example, given the length of time that Stoneskins last, I think it's conceivable that a mage would keep it actively buffed on himself at all times. So that if a Bhaalspawn just happens to round the corner of the room in the dungeon he's sitting in, he's at least somewhat prepared. However given the time that Protection from Magical Weapons lasts, I think it's a little odd that they've cast this before I show up. Since if I didn't show up, they'd be without this buff for the majority of the next 8 hours until they finish resting again.

Anyways in short, I think a nice option for a mod like this would be to allow mages to cast previously any long-duration buffs, like Stoneskin for example. Going off of the Gamefaqs spell description page, other spells with a duration measured in hours include:

Armor

Invisibility

Stoneskins

Animate Dead

Invisbile Stalker

Admittedly kind of a small list. But I think flavor-wise it makes sense... if I was a mage with the capability for these spells, I'd surely wake up in the morning and the first thing I'd do is throw on an Armor spell, a Stoneskin spell, and summon up a Skeleton Warrior or two, just to accompany me to the ATM, etc. You could probably add some of the longer-duration protective spells as well, that last for a number of turns (like Protection from Normal Missiles). But I think this option would allow Protection from Magical Weapons, Spell Immunity, etc., to be reserved for Contingencies, Sequencers, and just the plain-old first spells that a mage manually casts upon seeing an enemy approach.

Guest guest

If I understood you correctly, then that option is already in the game and perhaps you just missed it? The 3rd option for smarter mages 'mages cast no short-term buffs automatically' is what you want; it still gives them things like stoneskins and other long lasting buffs.

Similarly, priests with 3rd option come with, e.g. chaotic commands pre-cast.

I prefer this 3rd option by far, personally.

If I understood you correctly, then that option is already in the game and perhaps you just missed it? The 3rd option for smarter mages 'mages cast no short-term buffs automatically' is what you want; it still gives them things like stoneskins and other long lasting buffs.

Similarly, priests with 3rd option come with, e.g. chaotic commands pre-cast.

I prefer this 3rd option by far, personally.

Ahh! You understood correctly; I did not notice that note about Melf's and Stoneskins. Thanks for pointing this out!

Guest geg_Ma3gau

I have the "Smarter Mages -> Mages never cast short-duration spells instantly at start of combat: v18" option installed and the way it works for me is like that: at start of combat lich casts instantly stoneskin, prot from magic damage, prot from fire damage and acid damage. stoneskins are few hours lasting, protections are 1turn/lvl lasting. so i think it works exctly like its supposed to: no autocasting for short spells, but long spells are autocast. Fair option because as a player you do the same stuff.

Archived