Help with demon cultists in Ulgoth's Beard

Shaitan

Hi

I allways get my proverbial arse handed to me in the battle which ensues when I enter Ulgoth's Beard with the dagger after killing the Demon Knight in Durlag's Tower.

This battle is - for me - the most difficault battle of all in BG1, mostly because I end up being in the middle of the fight with invisible assassins attacking mages/thiefs almost unavoidable, and after a few rounds at least one char is dead.

Does anybody have a sound tactic for that battle? I'd like to avoid uninstalling said enhanced component.

(This time) my party consists of:

Ajantis

Jaheira

PC Cleric

Kahlid

Imoen

Xan

Cheers

It's been a long while, but IIRC you can do this cheesily (running in and out of houses, dividing up your enemies - I think some enter the houses if they've seen you go in, but if you keep doing it in different places across the map you can usually separate the group).

Less cheesily, potions of defence/invulnerability help (no casting time, get the whole party to chug them as soon as you enter the map), run away a bit, cast detect invisibility, prioritise killing the assassins first. If you can get a haste spell off, try that, run away then cast web on the pursuers - it will stop some of them so you can divide and conquer.

Wands of paralysation also rock in BG1 and seem to stop lots of nasties. Equip all your magic users with one and fire them off at some of the visible enemies whilst you run around. Again the goal is to incapacitate some so you can deal with the remainder.

If you're playing BGT you could do the following:

Travel to Wyrm's Crossing (the bridge to BG), cast Iron Skins with Jaheira and continue on to Ulgoth's Beard. Everyone except Jaheira drinks potions of invisibility, while she casts Invisibility Purge. Moreover due to Iron Skins being still in effect she won't take damage from those cult assassins.

10th

Hi again

Is there shorter travelling time in BWS? Every spell has worn out after travelling to Ulgoth's Beard in my game (24 hours). Unfortunately she hasn't got Iron Skins yet in my game (EasyTutu).

Less cheesily, potions of defence/invulnerability help (no casting time, get the whole party to chug them as soon as you enter the map), run away a bit, cast detect invisibility, prioritise killing the assassins first. If you can get a haste spell off, try that, run away then cast web on the pursuers - it will stop some of them so you can divide and conquer.
Was lucky with the web spell, and eventually made it via this strategy. Thanks for the hint.

I still find this battle the hardest in a SCS game. I think I will reconsider said component till next installation.

Thanks everyone

Archived