Purpose of "class" for a monster

aigleborgne

Hello,

I was wondering what class is really doing for a monster?

Of course, it is usefull in script for class check.

Outside of script, I know that playable class do things:

- fighter is checked to set number of attack (+0,5 at levels 7 and 13) and to add hit point based on constitution

- mage so spells are cast at mage level (otherwise, it seems they are cast as a level 1 mage no matter what)

Now, what "NO_CLASS" or "BASILISK" really do?

I suppose it does nothing and it's just an information. Or maybe some have hidden numbers behind them?

Why do I ask these questions? Some monsters have incorrect class because their correct class doesn't exist.

Astral Deva for example, there are no class for deva (and for Aasimon's creatures). Instead, it is set to fighter.

Astral Deva should have 2 attack per round (P&P 2nd). But because they have fighter class and are level 13+, they will have 3 attacks per round !

So, 3 fixes are possible:

- change APR to 1, so they will have 2, thanks to fighter class

- change class to a random one like basilisk (not really good for scripts)

- change class to "NO_CLASS", it's neutral and I assume it won't break anything

The class field is generally used to more precisely determine the nature of a creature. For example, an Earth Elemental has its class set to ELEMENTAL_EARTH while a Fire Elemental has ELEMENTAL_FIRE in that field. This becomes important when want to make a spell/item which only affects Earth Elementals. This would be achieved by using IDS targeting and specifying the creature's class as a targeting parameter. Without that, you wouldn't be able to differentiate between various elemental types.

Furthermore, if a creature has spellcasting abilities but has no levels in the relevant class, all of its spells will be cast at the lowest level unless they are transformed into innate abilities.

Thanks aVENGER, it is exactly as I thought ;)

I will set class to cleric then, I think it's appropriate for Deva

The class field is generally used to more precisely determine the nature of a creature. For example, an Earth Elemental has its class set to ELEMENTAL_EARTH while a Fire Elemental has ELEMENTAL_FIRE in that field. This becomes important when want to make a spell/item which only affects Earth Elementals. This would be achieved by using IDS targeting and specifying the creature's class as a targeting parameter. Without that, you wouldn't be able to differentiate between various elemental types.

Furthermore, if a creature has spellcasting abilities but has no levels in the relevant class, all of its spells will be cast at the lowest level unless they are transformed into innate abilities.

Archived