request: alter a shield

messy

hello

this is my first post, so i apologize if i've broken any forum rules.

i have a request: can someone make the shield of harmony into a medium shield?

the reason is that this is one of my favorite items in the game, but it looks a little silly for a hulking human or half-orc to be carrying a small shield.

everyone here does great work, and i hope that someone can help me with this.

Yes you have and you'll be banished to the Nine Hells! :laugh: (just joking)

the reason is that this is one of my favorite items in the game, but it looks a little silly for a hulking human or half-orc to be carrying a small shield.

Poor small shields, nobody loves them. :hm: That being said, there's indeed a reason if these enchantments are put on a small shield imo. This is inteded to be a "support" shield (e.g. ideal for assuring the loyalty of critical characters like clerics, who may not accept the thac0 penalty of heavier shields, and who can then use Break Enchantment if other party members are influenced by charm or confusion) while melee characters should probably switch to more "tank" oriented shields imo (e.g. Fortress Shield and later on Darksteel Shield are the obvious choices imo).

Now:

- if you're asking me to do that as a standard setting within V3 I have to decline

- if you're asking me to suggest you how to do that I can easily do it (if you are even remotely familiar with Near Infinity it's uber easy)

- if you're asking me to do it for you and post here the modified itm file (and tra file for the description) I'll probably have to make you wait because time is running short on me and I have really a lot of other things on my to-do list but if I happen to have some spare time I could eventually do it

Yes you have and you'll be banished to the Nine Hells! ??? (just joking)

eek! :laugh:

Poor small shields, nobody loves them. :p That being said, there's indeed a reason if these enchantments are put on a small shield imo. This is inteded to be a "support" shield (e.g. ideal for assuring the loyalty of critical characters like clerics, who may not accept the thac0 penalty of heavier shields, and who can then use Break Enchantment if other party members are influenced by charm or confusion) while melee characters should probably switch to more "tank" oriented shields imo (e.g. Fortress Shield and later on Darksteel Shield are the obvious choices imo).

ah, but i only solo, so i have no support characters. :)

Now:

- if you're asking me to do that as a standard setting within V3 I have to decline

- if you're asking me to suggest you how to do that I can easily do it (if you are even remotely familiar with Near Infinity it's uber easy)

i'm not, but i will give it a try.

- if you're asking me to do it for you and post here the modified itm file (and tra file for the description) I'll probably have to make you wait because time is running short on me and I have really a lot of other things on my to-do list but if I happen to have some spare time I could eventually do it

awesome. :hm:

could you give me a link? i'd like to do it myself, is possible.

thanks again. :laugh:

could you give me a link? i'd like to do it myself, is possible.
You can get NI here, though I currently use the older one (1.33b19-1) instead of the newest one (beta 20) simply because the latter doesn't have a user friendly search function to quickly get the opcode you want by typing the first few latters of its name. Anyway, you do need to have Java installed, but if you haven't it's pretty easy to find and download it from the net.

When it comes to modding the shield you have to change its animation parameter (IR medium shields use c0), alter its stats and edit its description. It may sound complicate but if you'll eventually see that it's actually pretty easy. If you have problems just let me know.

When it comes to modding the shield you have to change its animation parameter (IR medium shields use c0), alter its stats and edit its description. It may sound complicate but if you'll eventually see that it's actually pretty easy. If you have problems just let me know.

first i backed up my dialog.tlk (because the near infinity suggested that i do), then i found SHLD25.ITM in near infinity. here's what i changed:

General name Medium Shield

Identified name Shield of Harmony +5 :laugh:

Inventory icon D3

Minimum strength 12

Icon ISHLDM01.BAM

Groundicon GMSHLD.BAM

Carriedicon CSHLD25.BAM

Identified description and General description to match new description for a medium shield +5.

SHLD25.ITM is now in my override folder.

but i can only find the usual Shield of Harmony +2 in shadowkeeper.

what did i do wrong?

first i backed up my dialog.tlk (because the near infinity suggested that i do), then i found SHLD25.ITM in near infinity. here's what i changed:

General name Medium Shield

Identified name Shield of Harmony +5 :hm:

Inventory icon D3

Minimum strength 12

Icon ISHLDM01.BAM

Groundicon GMSHLD.BAM

Carriedicon CSHLD25.BAM

Identified description and General description to match new description for a medium shield +5.

SHLD25.ITM is now in my override folder.

but i can only find the usual Shield of Harmony +2 in shadowkeeper.

what did i do wrong?

I don't know, I assume you have saved the file if it's in your override. Make sure you re-start shadowkeeper, and that you have saved every change, perhaps that +2 shield is actually your +5 but the name update wasn't saved. :laugh:
what did i do wrong?
I don't know, I assume you have saved the file if it's in your override. Make sure you re-start shadowkeeper, and that you have saved every change, perhaps that +2 shield is actually your +5 but the name update wasn't saved. :laugh:

well poo.

anybody got a few minutes free to make me a +5 medium shield of harmony? :hm:

well, i got a pleasant surprise today -- when awarded for the trademeet quests, i got the modified +5 shield of harmony! and it shows up in shadowkeeper, too. i have no idea why it wasn't working before...

well, i got a pleasant surprise today -- when awarded for the trademeet quests, i got the modified +5 shield of harmony! and it shows up in shadowkeeper, too. i have no idea why it wasn't working before...
You had already visited the area or had the item already in the save before you made the modifications, now that you have presumably started a new game or loaded a save made before, the item in the override takes over. Easy.
You had already visited the area or had the item already in the save before you made the modifications, now that you have presumably started a new game or loaded a save made before, the item in the override takes over. Easy.
Except that items do not get stored in saves like ARE/CRE/STOs.

Archived