Working port to Ios

Guest SyntaxError

Guest Jonathan

You sure it's not compatible with iPad right now? The Screenshots you were posting said iPad/4.3 OS?

iPads have a feature that lets us hit 2x zoom for apps that are made for iphones.

You sure it's not compatible with iPad right now? The Screenshots you were posting said iPad/4.3 OS?

iPads have a feature that lets us hit 2x zoom for apps that are made for iphones.

as i know the 2x zoom won't help but if you are willing to try go for it.

I'm sure it will launch and whatnot but the graphics will be screwy and the touch coordinates will be all wrong because this build is hardcoded to the iphone 4 screen resolution and all touch coordinates are multiplied by 2.

I'll upload an ipad build soon and hopefully be able to build a universal app that will have the proper window size and touch coordinates for whatever device its running on.

Guest Jonathan

I gave it a gander but came up empty handed. I get everything installed correctly (GemRB iOS pops up as an app) but launches and quits immediately on the iPad.

Guess I'll have to be patient after all, haha.

You are awesome Syntax

I gave it a gander but came up empty handed. I get everything installed correctly (GemRB iOS pops up as an app) but launches and quits immediately on the iPad.

Guess I'll have to be patient after all, haha.

You are awesome Syntax

quitting immediately is a sign that either something couldn't be located like the config file or it couldnt write to the cache.

im working on getting everything bundled inside the app so setup will be easier.

if you download the "iphone configuration utility" from apple you can use that to view the console log and see what gemrb is having trouble with.

Had to register!

^_^

Its working .... Sort of...

I had to update my permission (on the .app folder files) as well as point the .cfg file to the GemRB cache file.

As of now, the touch screen interface works, but only in the top left corner (in iPad landscape mode). The cursor does travel over the whole screen but you have to tap in the top left corner for it to register a click.

The buttons are easily pressed however, other screens (like choosing a voice in character creation or a character file to import) don't seem to register the button press. This might be due to the lack of accuracy from the limited (top corner) control area.

The sprite during character creation has a neon blue outline and right after character creation, the 'black screen' was neon blue and was shortly followed by a crash. This also seemed to bug out my iphone configuration utility, as it stopped responding and when I forced killed the process, it will not reopen (windows detected a problem). Can't share the error with you because of that. Also, I attempted to load a game. It went through the loading screen fine but 'blued' out after the load and crashed.

img00581.png

img00571.png

I told you that build wouldnt work for ipad :laugh:

All of touchscreen issues are becuase of what i stated before: it is tailored to the iphone 4 because that is the only device i had available.

here is a zip with both iphone4 and ipad (untested)

if you are using ipad i implore you to change your config resolution to 1024x768 and report back to me how it performs as well as what generation ipad.

I cant vouch for gemrb being compatible with whatever save you are trying to load. gemrb has problems sometime loading games from earlier versions of gemrb and without an error i cant say for sure. Im willing to wager the hang when trying to start a new game is because gemrb couldnt write something due to permissions as i stated a few posts back.

As for the neon blue I believe avenger is on the money. this bug is low priority for me atm; it only seems to affect the paper doll and the save game screenshots. Finishing touch input so you can scroll things more easily is much higher on the todo list. once that is in place you can turn off the config setting for "TouchScrollAreas" if you like.

Again use caution and have a backup. im not responsible for whatever happens.

Again use caution and have a backup. im not responsible for whatever happens.

Yop, u are right, tried to run on Iphone 4, gave the permissions on your app and after restart lost all system and cydia apps) They are not deleted, coz some still work in background, but now i cant use the phone). If i'll find how to return them i'll post here.

Hmm, the coordinates are spot on and everything seems to load much faster. No problem with 1024x768 resolution either. I am using iPad 1st generation, 16 gigs.

Still having the crashing issue on loading a save or starting a new game. Might be permission issues but i've put read/write/execute on just about everything I copied over. I am giving root/admin and read/write/execute (thats the limits of my 'privilege' knowledge). I am using iFile to give permissions. I have not experienced any issues with other apps.

I looked into the .cfg file and notice this path /usr/local/tmp/gemrb/ . I don't have a tmp folder in that location, let alone a gemrb folder. I changed nearly everything to point towards /private/var/mobile/ and chose "GemRb iOS" or "Baldur's Gate II". It was only after those changes was I able to get GemRB to load (not crash on startup.

I'll probably have to wait for your step by step guide to make sure I am doing everything right.

Also, there is a line in the .cfg that asks for plugins? No idea on what to do there.

that /usr/whatever line is preceded by a # right? that means its commented out. you dont need to worry about plugins either; everything is statically linked on iOS.

the permissions need to be for the mobile user, not root. the mobile user needs read and write privileges. ssh into the phone and chown -R mobile on your baldurs gate resources folder to change the owner from root to mobile. owner should already have read/write but if not you will also need to chmod it with a +w

BE CAREFUL when using chown and chmod on the iphone you could mess it up if you do it on the wrong directory. only do this on the game resources folder nothing else. I hope you know what i mean when i say the game resources folder i dont know what else to call it other then the huge 2+ gb mass of files required to play the game :laugh:

Im hoping that moving the gem rb stuff into the app bundle will avoid these permission issues but im banned from using the gfs iphone for testing since i had to restore it when 3rd party apps stopped working :hm:

since i have no testing environment other than the simulator things are gonna be hit and miss until my code and project makes it into the gemrb distribution then somebody with an actual ios device and know how can take it the last mile.

Try and get me the console log with the iphone config utility so i can tell you why saving is crashing. loading i still presume to be an issue loading games not created with gemrb tho i dont know without more info.

My iPhone configuration utility is giving me an error "user-defined breakpoint" and prevents me from starting it. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but still dealing with the same error. Any tips?

Also, the game crashes just as the game goes from character creation into the game (with the UI that has character pics and action bars), as well as from loading to the game UI.

My iPhone configuration utility is giving me an error "user-defined breakpoint" and prevents me from starting it. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but still dealing with the same error. Any tips?

Also, the game crashes just as the game goes from character creation into the game (with the UI that has character pics and action bars), as well as from loading to the game UI.

it appears i build a debug version (the user defined breakpoint bit)... lets start by re-downloading that zip which i have corrected to have a non debug build. If the crashing isnt related to permission issue then i would wager that the 1st gen ipad simple doesnt have enough memory to run gemrb at this time. i hear there is at least one major memory usage optimization in the works for hopefully next release.

let see what the log says before deciding which way to go. (you can try turning the resolution back down to 800x600 to see if that helps the memory situation)

I'm pretty surer it is not a memory issue. I have between 84 - 100 megs of memory free to run this thing.

I've reached my limit of what I can do to try and force this to play. I did find out that the paths you are not supposed to have to mess with are required if you even want GemRB to launch. Feel free to look through the following to see if you spot anything I may have messed up. (I found /User/ to be interchangeable with /private/var/mobile/)

#####################################################

#  Paths                                            #

#  Game Paths [string]                              #

#                                                   #

#  These are the paths where the Game you want to   #

#  play is installed.                               #

#  Enter the full path to the directory.             #

GamePath=/User/Baldur's Gate II/

CD1=/User/Baldur's Gate II/

CD2=/User/Baldur's Gate II/CD2/

CD3=/User/Baldur's Gate II/CD3/

CD4=/User/Baldur's Gate II/CD4/

CD5=/User/Baldur's Gate II/CD5/

#  GemRB Cache Path [string]                        #

#  This is the path where GemRB will store the      #

#  cached files, enter the full path to the GemRB   #

#  Cache directory.                                 #

CachePath=/User/GemRB iOS/Cache/

#  GemRB Save Path [string]                         #

#  This is the path where GemRB looks for saved     #

#  games.                                           #

#  Enter the full path to the directory containing  #

#  e.g. the 'save' subdirectory.                    #

#  You do not have to specify this if you use save  #

#  subdir in the GamePath directory.                #

#SavePath=/User/Baldur's Gate II/save/

###### HERE BE DRAGONS #############################

# You shouldn't need to change anything below this point.

#  GemRB Path [string]                              #

#  This is the path where GemRB is stored, just     #

#  enter the full path to the GemRB executable      #

#GemRBPath=/Applications/GemRB iOS.app/

#  GemRB GUI Scripts Path [string]                  #

#  This is the path where GemRB GUI scripts are     #

#  stored, usually these are in the GemRB directory #