SR v4 (detailed list of changes - ongoing update)

Protection from Petrification

@kreso ironically I was tackling AD&D Greater Basilisk yesterday while working on summons and I discovered about its poisonous breath (I thought it only inflicted poison with its bite). Does Fields of the Dead also added the breath effect? If yes, 5' radius cloudkill-like, another breath-like animation, or no animation?

I don't remember about graphic effects, I playtested FotD for Echon quite a while ago (first go with EE). But yes, breath effect is there, and standing in front of a basilisk is probably the best bet to die instantly in BG1. Do note that FotD makes poison work differently than vanilla game, so even spiders (or basilisk bites) are much more dangerous than their game implementation; I think poison was even toned down in subsequent FotD releases. Oh, FotD also has Death Dogs and Exploding Skeletons. :D

Slow

- what about making Slow not counter Improved Haste? (It's a nice "buff" to IH for those players that feel I nerfed it too much)

- I think I can even make IH "cancel" and override normal Haste, while making sure the opposite doesn't happen

I like both these suggestions, Demi.

Flesh to Stone

@Jarno I was with you until you mentioned "damage". :D

Well, you haven't noticed the fact that the Petrify in BG1 at-least sets your Stoned characters Hit Point to 1 if it happens, and that should be out of the question especially if it's the kind I would like it to be, "killing slowly" one.

Which is why Branwen has 1 HP when you Stone to Flesh/free her.

Of course another way to do the "intended thing" is to set the characters Crushing damage resistance from -50% to -100%... but but but. I bet there's a few complications with that.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola
I bet there's a few complications with that.

It would mess with other DR effects probably imo.

Maybe Flesh to Stone could be remade in image of Bigby spells, i.e., make it go through few phases, and allow target to make saves in each phase to cancel it out?

For example, we cast FtS at some random target:

0) First, it should remove all 'freedom'-like effects from target and make target immune to them (save for actual Freedom spell maybe) for the duration.

1) Next, target makes a save vs spell. If save is being made, target is slowed for N turns (maybe not even slowed, but snared, so Haste and the like wouldn't cancel it out). If save is failed, target is slowed for N turns plus\minus X (I vote for minus so the next phase would actually come faster rather than in the case of save being made).

2) Afterwards, target makes a save vs polymorph. If save is being made, target becomes fatigued for N turns\rounds and spell ends. If save is failed, target is rooted to the ground and can't move for N turns.

3) At the end of these turns, target makes a save vs death. If save is successful, target briefly falls to ground, stands up, gets fatigue for N turns and the spell ends. If save is failed, target stays rooted and starts to panic for one round, unless immune to fear.

4) After that one round, target makes another save vs polymorph. If save is successful, same as previous + N crushing hit point damage. If save is failed, target stays rooted and is silenced, blind and deaf for one round (unless somehow immune).

5) Target makes a save vs death. If save is successful, it's stunned for N turns and the spell ends. If save failed, target turns into a stone statue that's immune to normal weapons, acid and electricity and stays like that infinitely. Of course, if statue breaks, any loot that creature had should drop on the ground.

If dispel successfully hits the character before the final phase, he or she reverts to normal without any side effects, otherwise he or she could be revived only by Stone to Flesh, Freedom or similar.

Creatures that have no actual flesh (shades etc) are immune to the spell, as well as all golems except flesh ones.

Tldr target must feel that it actually turns into stone D:

The only problem I see it sounds like some obscure version of B's hand, save for possibly different visuals :|

Edited by n-ghost

Flesh to Stone

Maybe Flesh to Stone could be remade in image of Bigby spells, i.e., make it go through few phases, and allow target to make saves in each phase to cancel it out?

I think you over-complicate it a bit too much with so many phases, but conceptually it's how it already work on my build, and 5th edition is once again doing almost the same.

Quoted from tomorrow's beta changelog: "- Flesh to Stone slows for 3 rounds (no save), on 2nd round target must save at -4 penalty or be petrified (hold2 opcode)"

Later on we can refine it a bit (e.g. maybe split it into max 3 phases: slow, save or held for mid-short time, save again or be permanently petrified) but for now I mostly care about its technical changes such as not using the original opcode (e.g. need testers to check if StF and Freedom works to "cure" it, and if there's any issue caused by the change I might have to handle).

Creatures that have no actual flesh (shades etc) are immune to the spell, as well as all golems except flesh ones.

I gave this for granted, already done.

Stone to Flesh

By the way, I just had a wild thought that we can (probably non very PnPish, but logical otherwise) use Stone to Flesh spell to damage stone golems.

I suggested something like this myself ages ago as part of a slightly bigger plan, turning it into a multi-purpose Shape Stone spell. I'm still not convinced though. Edited by Demivrgvs

Disintegrate

On what? Breath or polymorph?

Breath. I don't quite like it, mind you, but it makes the best summary as far as common sense and balance are involved.

Slow

- if Slow doesn't trigger enough against warriors we can now make it cancel Haste even on a failed save (Haste already automatically cancel Slow)

- what about making Slow not counter Improved Haste? (It's a nice "buff" to IH for those players that feel I nerfed it too much)

- I think I can even make IH "cancel" and override normal Haste, while making sure the opposite doesn't happen

Yes for all.

Slow

- if Slow doesn't trigger enough against warriors we can now make it cancel Haste even on a failed save (Haste already automatically cancel Slow)

I like.

Find familiar

I know you eventually want to do a more expansive revamp of that whole system, but is it possible to remove then CON penalty from a familar dying, or is it hardcoded? If you can I would actually use my familiar instead of just having a health item in my backpack.

Demi?

Find familiar

I know you eventually want to do a more expansive revamp of that whole system, but is it possible to remove then CON penalty from a familar dying, or is it hardcoded? If you can I would actually use my familiar instead of just having a health item in my backpack.

Demi?

Sorry I forgot to answer. Find Familiar is pretty low in terms of priority for me but I'll see what I can do about it.

Find familiar

Demi?

Sorry I forgot to answer. Find Familiar is pretty low in terms of priority for me but I'll see what I can do about it.

Fair enough. If you can remove the CON penalty with no big trouble, I think that alone would make the spell more interesting.

Find familiar

... Find Familiar is pretty low in terms of priority for me but I'll see what I can do about it.

Fair enough. If you can remove the CON penalty with no big trouble, I think that alone would make the spell more interesting.

I probably can yes. The spell fell at the bottom of my to do list simply because I now feel the spell itself should not even exist (I always wanted to make it an innate) and that familiars should be full fledged NPCs rather. Implementing and balancing familiars is too much time consuming and an almost impossible task, not to mention they are an unfair advantage/exclusive of the PC protagonist (one more thing I don't like).

End of my rant. I'll go back working on Beastmaster's panther (ironic eh?). :D