SR v4 (detailed list of changes - ongoing update)

A suggestion regarding LARLOCH'S ENERGY DRAIN:

I recently took WotB away from necromancers in my mod, and found myself looking at what they had left at that level. Ah yes, Energy Drain: 9th-level magic, same as Timestop and Wish, replicating an at-will innate power of the game's principal mid-level enemy.

SR's changes are great, but I submit they are not enough: it still looks like a 7th- or 8th-level spell, power-wise. My solution (and suggestion) is to cause the target to die from the system shock if he fails a saving throw. (The caster would gain the spell's benefits regardless.)

I think it's a nice effect for a single-target 9th-level spell. Weak targets might likely die, more powerful enemies probably won't. Far less powerful than PW Kill, but with interesting other effects (the Drain) to balance it.

Edited by subtledoctor

I was thinking it'd be nice to have a description for the Identify spell that doesn't break the fourth wall. I came with this (PnP inspired) variant:

Identify
Level: 1
School: Divination
Range: Personal
Duration: Instant
Casting Time: Special
Area of Effect: 1 item
Saving Throw: None
When this spell is cast, name and enchantments (including curses) of one item subsequently touched by the wizard are revealed without fail. Many unidentified items can still be used, but at great risk.
Edited by Salk

I was thinking it'd be nice to have a description for the Identify spell that doesn't break the fourth wall. I came with this (PnP inspired) variant:

Identify
Level: 1
School: Divination
Range: Personal
Duration: Instant
Casting Time: Special
Area of Effect: 1 item
Saving Throw: None
When this spell is cast, name and enchantments (including curses) of one item subsequently touched by the wizard are revealed without fail. Many unidentified items can still be used, but at great risk.

I agree the current 4th wall breaking description isn't great. Let's see what other thinks...

I'll probably be away from BG for the next month or so, perhaps I'm in luck after summer Holidays?

Yes. If not, they should fire me from G3. ;)

I just got to say that I find it a little ironic that you would come up with this definition while your own mod clearly breaks it... as the updated descriptions won't actually tell a thing about the bad side effects of the items "including curses". And you shouldn't ever use the brackets in descriptions.

I would use this:

When this spell is cast to an item, it's name, enchantments and curses are revealed without fail. Many unidentified items can still be used, but at greater risk, or with unforeseeable consequences.

Yes, the last line is intended stab at your mod... :p

Yes. If not, they should fire me from G3. ;)

Hmm, a question, how can you be fired if you were not ever hired. See, you can't. Edited by Jarno Mikkola

Jarno,

my own mod Cursed Items Revision does indeed not reveal some magical properties but it's part of the fun. My suggested description for the Identify spell doesn't promise to be any more effective than the original one is (The chance of identifying the item is 100%. The spell identifies the item's name, what it does, and if it is cursed.) and it's aimed to remove the fourth wall breaking of the original description. In short, my own mod wouldn't really be "compatible" with either description.

I am not even sure why you think brackets are a "no no" in descriptions. I have nothing against them and I make plenty of use of parenthesis in WTP Familiars 1.3 (soon to be released also thanks to you).

Last thing, if you really want to suggest an alternative, make sure you avoid grammatical errors like "it's" and "its"... Yes, that was a stab at your description... :p And also errors like "cast to an item": the spell is not cast on an unidentified item but rather on the caster himself that identifies the item by touching it.

PS I like my suggestion better, if that was not clear...

Edited by Salk

Jarno, my own mod Cursed Items Revision does indeed not reveal some magical properties but it's part of the fun.

Ahh, so the lack of brain function in you body is ... part of the fun ? K.

You didn't actually get why the items were identifiable in the first place did you ?

The fact that the item has two description strings should tell you that the identified description should tell you 100% of all the functionality of the item. Yes, you can make the unidentified description in your mod to be what you placed on the identified description and you'll be having as much without the FUCK UP for others. And if you are unhappy with this arrangement, you can allow the option to remove the identification spell from the games spell book and set the items lore value to a decent amount... there's no F'ing reason to remove an important information from the player if one wishes to possess it ... without a need to use game editing tools(read, not fun !!! ).

I have at least 3 times run into the mod of your while answering a question players have had ... and I haven't played your mod at all.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

Jarno, my own mod Cursed Items Revision does indeed not reveal some magical properties but it's part of the fun.

Ahh, so the lack of brain function in you body is ... part of the fun ? K.

You didn't actually get why the items were identifiable in the first place did you ?

The fact that the item has two description strings should tell you that the identified description should tell you 100% of all the functionality of the item. Yes, you can make the unidentified description in your mod to be what you placed on the identified description and you'll be having as much without the FUCK UP for others.

Don't get too upset. From your reaction, I'd think that you tried my modification and the little trick made you die when you where on a "No reload" challenge... :p

I say enough with the OT.

Just installed for the first time, super-psyched to see how it plays :)

One thing I noticed though is that Negative Plane Protection description says it will last 5 turns, whereas the SR readme says it should last 1 turn/level (in accordance with the PnP description of the D20 Death Ward spell - and I'm totally for merging them BTW).

I also noticed that the elemental conjuration spell descriptions still mention the 15% chance the elemental will turn on the caster, even though the SR readme states it is not the case.

BTW just to make sure I didn't screw it up somehow, I installed the mod mid-game, along with some others, in the following order:

1. Spell revisions
  2. BG2Tweaks
  3. SCS
  4. aTweaks
  5. Breachier Breach (subtledoctor's fix from the Rakshasas thread)
Edited by toxin

I think the readme is not up to date when it comes to linking each spell descr, I'll check it again when we stop messing with spells during the betas. Trust instead the in-game descriptions. If the spell doesn't work as per in-game descr, than report it to me please.

For example...

I also noticed that the elemental conjuration spell descriptions still mention the 15% chance the elemental will turn on the caster, even though the SR readme states it is not the case.

^this is something to be fixed. The 15% chance to fail the spell is indeed removed. Very strange such a glaring thing remained there all this time. o.O

Speaking of Negative Plane Protection the duration was indeed 1turn/lvl back in V3 and the first V4 builds, but the huge duration of it (and a few other long-lasting buffs) was deemed too much by many players as it contributed too much at almost trivialize encounters which should be very challenging. At least it's still 10 times longer than vanilla. ;)

Btw, your install order seems fine, but keep in mind certain components from BG2Tweaks and/or aTweaks do overlap with similar stuff from Revisions mods.