Comments on "Progress Reports"

BigRob

Hmm...no posts in awhile. In the meantime, can you sate my excitement a bit with some more questions, this time more about the gameplay aspect rather than story? I haven't played a Monk before, and from what I understand, Monks are missing their own HLAs, yes? So will there be any stuff that will differentiate Aklon from other monks? Like special skills maybe, or new HLAs? :rant: Or even a custom AI script? I have seen a Monk HLA mod here in G3, in case you won't be doing any custom Monk stuff for him, will the Oversight mod be compatible with Aklon?

Hehehe, too many questions, I'd think. It's the only way to keep sane while waiting :) (it's a good thing school is keeping me busy from gaming for a while)

I've played with Monks a few times. What I like about them is that I don't have to worry about armor and weapons. I think that they're a challenge to play as, but since there aren't any monk characters in the game, I don't know what it'd be like to have one in my general party.

I'm keeping my sanity because of school as well. I hate AP Government....I have to take that stupid exam on my birthday!! YARG!!!

Aklon had better be out by then so that I can have something fun to come home to...

Hmm...no posts in awhile. In the meantime, can you sate my excitement a bit with some more questions, this time more about the gameplay aspect rather than story? I haven't played a Monk before, and from what I understand, Monks are missing their own HLAs, yes? So will there be any stuff that will differentiate Aklon from other monks? Like special skills maybe, or new HLAs? :rant: Or even a custom AI script? I have seen a Monk HLA mod here in G3, in case you won't be doing any custom Monk stuff for him, will the Oversight mod be compatible with Aklon?

First up, I will try to make Aklon compatible with Oversight (and I also think Ascension alters monks, but I'm not too sure about that). Aklon may have a custom script, but I'm not too much of a fan of script use myself, I tend to like to keep a tight rein on my NPCs ripping off spells and abilities left and right, or breaking off from something I really want dead to attack a more dangerous target. That said, I'll see if I can develop something that others will find useful.

I will, however, be looking at some extra abilities and/or HLAs to mark Aklon as different from other monks, due to his more eclectic training. These would be something along the lines of special strikes that would count as a use of Stunning Fist, and include minor hampering of enemy THAC0, slow effects and other such things. While playtesting I will have to see if these don't unbalance him compared to a standard monk.

As for HLAs, some of the things I'm considering are a limited Mirror Image (we all remember those ninja films, right?), knockdown, a concentrated attack doing large damage, but causing Aklon a penalty in subsequent rounds, a distance Stunning Fist and perhaps additional Quivering Palms.

I've played with Monks a few times. What I like about them is that I don't have to worry about armor and weapons. I think that they're a challenge to play as, but since there aren't any monk characters in the game, I don't know what it'd be like to have one in my general party.

I'm keeping my sanity because of school as well. I hate AP Government....I have to take that stupid exam on my birthday!! YARG!!!

Aklon had better be out by then so that I can have something fun to come home to...

*cough* Well, no promises, but I'll see what's possible. Best of luck on your exam!

Dear BigRob;

I think I speak for all of us when I say that you have put us in a conundrum. While we don't wish to rush you in the slightest, and don't want for Aklon to become a burden or a hassle, we are all eagerly awaiting the release with metaphorical baited breath. (I find that homemade lures are better when fishing, but whatever). So I would like to offer these things to you, once again on the behalf of the group (it's worth pointing out that none of the actual 'group' knew in advance that I was going to say this, but let's *assume* that they would all agree):

I would like to offer our sincerest hope that the tides of time wash gently over you, so that you are left with even more than you had ever hoped.

I would like to offer another hope, that inspiration walk with you wherever you go, and be your most loyal companion whenever you need it.

Finally, I would like to offer you a plate of cookies, of an indiscriminate type to be named later. Cookies always help me write, and I make very good ones. I have references!

Okay, time, inspiration, and cookies. I hope that it helps!

~Dragon's Jewel, et al

Dear BigRob;

I think I speak for all of us when I say that you have put us in a conundrum. While we don't wish to rush you in the slightest, and don't want for Aklon to become a burden or a hassle, we are all eagerly awaiting the release with metaphorical baited breath. (I find that homemade lures are better when fishing, but whatever). So I would like to offer these things to you, once again on the behalf of the group (it's worth pointing out that none of the actual 'group' knew in advance that I was going to say this, but let's *assume* that they would all agree):

I would like to offer our sincerest hope that the tides of time wash gently over you, so that you are left with even more than you had ever hoped.

I would like to offer another hope, that inspiration walk with you wherever you go, and be your most loyal companion whenever you need it.

Finally, I would like to offer you a plate of cookies, of an indiscriminate type to be named later. Cookies always help me write, and I make very good ones. I have references!

Okay, time, inspiration, and cookies. I hope that it helps!

~Dragon's Jewel, et al

As one of the "group" I heartily agree with the above! :p

CelticRose

Thanks very much for the well wishes and most of all for the patience, Dragon's Jewel, Celtic Rose and Berelinde!

I know I say this a lot, but I'll try to make things come along as fast as possible. Real life has been nibbling away at my time recently, and I don't know what's ended up happening to it all (Though I think NWN2 might have a little something to do with it :p ). Hopefully I should have some real progress to report soon.

And cookies are always welcome. Even if they are being dangled like carrots. :p

There's your first mistake. No playing of computer games when you should be modding!

Not true, really. It makes a nice break, as long as it isn't the same computer game you're modding for. I'm looking forward to the end of Gavin's current (and hopefully last) alpha run so I can give Tutu a rest for a bit.

And I do plan to break up stretches of BG2 modding with some IWD2.

It is nice to break up writing with a little gameage, but it does tend to get out of hand if you don't watch the clock (or keep thinking "Just one more battle")

Boy, do I know the feeling. For me, lately, it has been Guild Wars. It is always, "just one more battle," or "just one more quest!" Time sure flies!

I have been nibbling away at the Aklon/Anomen stuff, and have made some more progress, but a mix of real-life work and some illness managed to completely wreck last week, writing wise. I'm going to try and catch up on things this week though, and see if I can't give a proper progress report sooner rather than later.