IR v3 Feedback

Demivrgvs

No, no problems at all.

Sorry to have alarmed you. I simply wanted to ask because I was not sure. In particular, I wonder if every weapon and armor in BGT will have consistent STR requirements, which is very deseriable.

One question: does IR set STR requirements for all weapons and armors?
It does, I'm certain. Is there any complication, compatibility issue, or whatever else?
No, no problems at all.

Sorry to have alarmed you. I simply wanted to ask because I was not sure. In particular, I wonder if every weapon and armor in BGT will have consistent STR requirements, which is very deseriable.

Well, IR main component set STR requirements and even revise all weight values of each and every weapon/armor, but afaik we don't salter mod-added items on this regard. So, if BGT adds standard non-magical or magical items they are fine, but custom items retain the STR requirement and weight decided by its creator, which is fine imo, as even strange values could be intended.

I felt Staff of Striking is a little weaker than the other +3 weapons. Though Staff of Striking just gives +6 additional dmg (ya, I know it may be big merit for backstabbing), it consumes its charge per hit. This demerit make it to be hardly useful imo.

I'd like to suggest whether reducing its penalty (i.e., increasing/removing the charge) or adding more options.

I have played BGT towards BG2 part. And I finally decide to give my impressions about Ranged Sneak Attack (RSA).

Though it was quite great idea, I felt that it is really difficult to use properly due to the reason as belows.

In order to use RSA, the thief should stand behind a enemy. It means that he/she is further isolated from allies rather than the case prepared backstabbing by melee weapons. That situation makes thief putting in serious danger after he performed RSA.

I was hardly able to find proper situation that RSA gives better result than normal backstabbing.

IMO it may need to be improved slightly like the belows.

1) Thief can use RSA in front of enemies (only invisible status is required to perform it).

2) Or, Thief can use RSA when he is in hiding (No need to attack behind enemies).

I think 2 is better because the previous situation can't be resolved by case 1.

Actually, I'd like to discuss about RSA with the other users...

Melee and ranged backstabs share the direction restriction, so if we allow to RSA from a front, the same will be true for melee.

I've used it for some great result in outdoor areas. Coming up too close makes it difficult to run away after performing a melee backstab (without Boots of Speed, anyway), while sneaking up from a far behind, shooting and immediately stepping outside of their vision allows to hide again instantly.

Staff of Striking

I felt Staff of Striking is a little weaker than the other +3 weapons. Though Staff of Striking just gives +6 additional dmg (ya, I know it may be big merit for backstabbing), it consumes its charge per hit. This demerit make it to be hardly useful imo.

Are you speaking for BG1 or BG2? Within BG1 the few +3 weapons I allow are cursed, with the only exception of the Short Sword of Backstabbing (and I was indeed tempted to nerf it). Being not cursed and usable by almost anyone the Staff of Striking is supposed to just act as a temporary weapon of choice for the direst situations (and within SoA it can still be useful in certain situations because of its enchantment lvl).

Removing the charge limitation would make it clearly OP for BG1, thus I can only raise the # of charges if there's a consensus.

Ranged Backstab

I second what Ardanis says (as usual), though I admit that there may be many situations where a ranged backstab is not a viable tactic.

Melee and ranged backstabs share the direction restriction, so if we allow to RSA from a front, the same will be true for melee.
Leaving aside that afaik we cannot do this without asking A64 a new hack, I'm not sure I'd opt for it. While conceptually I agree with 3E regarding sneak attacks not necessarily being backstabs, I fear the current AI limitations would make ranged sneak attacks too effective if easily viable from any direction. Am I wrong?

On a side note, the more I look into Pathfinder rulebooks the more I discover this 3.X edition is really well done. For example Pathfinder's sneak attacks work on almost any creature similarly to AD&D and BG (explained as the attack having found a weak point in the undead's "body", such as a zombies head, or even finding a crack or flaw in a constructs "body.").

Staff of Striking

Are you speaking for BG1 or BG2? Within BG1 the few +3 weapons I allow are cursed, with the only exception of the Short Sword of Backstabbing (and I was indeed tempted to nerf it). Being not cursed and usable by almost anyone the Staff of Striking is supposed to just act as a temporary weapon of choice for the direst situations (and within SoA it can still be useful in certain situations because of its enchantment lvl).

Removing the charge limitation would make it clearly OP for BG1, thus I can only raise the # of charges if there's a consensus.

I mentioned the BG2 part. As you said, Staff of Striking is a few weapon which has +3 enchantment in BG1 so it is useful enough in BG1. However, in BG2, though it can acquire in the early of the game compared with the other +3 weapons I felt this is not enough to use as Thief because

1) almost wizard in SCSII pre-casted stoneskin spell so Thief barely killed their opponents by backstabbing at once (Fighter has huge HP and Thief always drink invisibility potions).

2) So I had to use Staff of Striking to Fighter, but since it has limited charge it only can be useful during VERY short time.

That's why I said it may need to be buffed.

Ranged Backstab

Leaving aside that afaik we cannot do this without asking A64 a new hack, I'm not sure I'd opt for it. While conceptually I agree with 3E regarding sneak attacks not necessarily being backstabs, I fear the current AI limitations would make ranged sneak attacks too effective if easily viable from any direction. Am I wrong?
AI ignores the direction restriction, and I think that's why the appropriate hack has been made - to remove this restriction from players as well.

Nevertheless, I'm personally very fine with how things work right now, because the purpose of the tweak was not to overhaul the combat system, but offer thieves a small bonus that sometimes may prove useful.

Another tactic I can think of is to tie enemies in melee and use thief to step-and-shoot from afar.

Archived