Modded v6 Walkthrough

Finished HoW, only two items of note.

The Ice Golems in the Sahuagin Temple (AR9603) can be pushed by. They should be immovable until attacked.

When the dragon Icasaracht is slain I didn't get the animation of her fleeing to the Soul Gem. The Soul Gem failed to summon enemies while the party was out of sight.

Now for some TotLM (I've made it into the Watchknight Crypt).

The stairs in AR9704, 9706 and 9708 can be used even when the trap doors are closed.

The stairs in AR9701 need the transition point moved to the left. It's not on the steps.

yep, it's obvious that someone changed things for ease of understanding what is going on in conversion but really should have left alone....

Give me some credit for intelligence. It's not being changed for ease of understanding; it's being changed to allow for differences in the way IWD and BG2 handle DVs. And it's being changed by automatic code, as going manually through thousands of lines of quest code would be (a) unutterably tedious, (b) massively error-prone, and © hard to update in a systematic basis. Bug reports like this invariably show up a mistake or false assumption in that automatic code (in this case, clearly, I need to be allowing for a few overly-long variable lines that don't convert well.)

yep, it's obvious that someone changed things for ease of understanding what is going on in conversion but really should have left alone....

Give me some credit for intelligence. It's not being changed for ease of understanding; it's being changed to allow for differences in the way IWD and BG2 handle DVs. And it's being changed by automatic code, as going manually through thousands of lines of quest code would be (a) unutterably tedious, (b) massively error-prone, and © hard to update in a systematic basis. Bug reports like this invariably show up a mistake or false assumption in that automatic code (in this case, clearly, I need to be allowing for a few overly-long variable lines that don't convert well.)

Didn't mean to slight but from the examples shown it looked like someone just wanted to make it easier to read etc... rather than taking into account the required max character length in BG2 due to the SPRITE_IS_DEAD argument.

...It's not being changed for ease of understanding; it's being changed to allow for differences in the way IWD and BG2 handle DVs. And it's being changed by automatic code, as going manually through thousands of lines of quest code would be (a) unutterably tedious, (b) massively error-prone, and © hard to update in a systematic basis. Bug reports like this invariably show up a mistake or false assumption in that automatic code (in this case, clearly, I need to be allowing for a few overly-long variable lines that don't convert well.)

I learned long ago from FredSRichardson (IWD1Tutu) that the IWD DV's are stated in the bit codes, not as BG2's clearly coded method. Considering this, some problems are going to happen. My input simply gives a way to fix them when the converter fails. Maybe it'll be simpler to have a fix at the end of the install, maybe DavidW will find a way to tighten up the converter.

That said, I've finished the Watchknight Crypt with no bugs to report. Now on to the Keep.

No real problems in Maluradek's Keep, just nasty critters. In the dungeons, however, I found two.

AR9717 - the game freezes in cutscene mode when I approach the talking door. I didn't matter whether I had no, one or both skulls. I saved in the area and restored to reveal the hidden CRE, talked to it and it let me pass, opening the door. The talking door animation also activated and remained active.

AR9718 - several olive slimes could not move. Seems they're stepping on each other (foot circle overlap) :D !

Now on to the jackalwere colony.

I've finished Trials of the Luremaster. The only item of note was that two altars in AR9801 had Stone Nuisances missing when first visited (none in the Jackalwere area, only one at either the Harpy or Dire Bear area).

I'll finish the game from here and finish this thread with a compiled list of bugs/problems found.

I've finished this run-through. It seems some of my previous posts disappeared with the old boards, so this is a good place to restate the problems found.

START-UP SCREENS:

Vanilla IWD has only one option - multiplayer. In the conversion you have a "Tutorial" option when you choose Single Player, and "Arena" if you choose Multi-Player. I'd suggest removing these two buttons/options since they don't work. "Tutorial" crashes the game, "Arena" won't let you start anything.

When I finished the game and returned to the start-up screens I had no cursor. I had to Alt+Tab out and close the game from Windows.

ITEM PROBLEMS:

Random treasures in containers don't appear (but do on creatures).

Owain's Lullaby failed to cast Cone of Cold.

Edion's Ring of Wizardry doubles 6th level spells instead of 5th level as it's description states.

ICEWIND DALE:

AR3301 - Therik and the two zombies at the entrance do not attack even when attacked. Their footprint is clearly red (enemy).

AR3501 and beyond - Skeleton archers (KTSKA1, 2, 3, SKELBOW) fire once and then close for melee (no ammo). RNDTRE01 (AROW_P1/P2) and RNDTRE28 (RNGP1/P2) randoms are present but with only one instead of eight and five respectively.

AR4002 - Dragon's Eye level two has three problems.

Freeing Mother Egenia:

GlobalGT("SPRITE_IS_DEADTalonite","GLOBAL",9) required.

The talonite priestess' are being truncated to SPRITE_IS_DEAD_TALONITE_PRIESTESS = 1, no _2 or _3.

Freeing Sheemish:

GlobalGT("Pathdead","GLOBAL",4) required.

The same as above, the key wraith spiders and lizardman shamans are being truncated to lizard_man_shaman_ and wraith_spider_kid_

Recommend name changes in the AR4002.ARE and .BCS files for actors 37 thru 40 and 60 thru 64 as follows:

Talonite_Priest_# to TalonitePriest# (2 actors, optional for consistency only)

Talonite_Priestess_# to TalonitePriestess# (2 actors)

Wraith_Spider_Kid_# to WraithSpiderKid# (2 actors)

Lizard_Man_Shaman_Kid_# to LizardShamanKid# (3 actors)

Mother Egenia doesn't remain near the entrance to AR4003, but returns to her ziggurat location the first time you return to this level.

AR5304 - Valestis' quest is finished with only three of the four items required. The DVALESTI.DLG file needs all Global("Arbor_Total","GLOBAL",3) corrected to 4.

AR5402/03 - Kaylessa's quest won't finish because some globals are too long. Recommend name changes in the AR5402/03.ARE and .BCS files from Shadowed_Elven_Sword and Shadowed_Elven_Arche to ShadowedElvenSword and ShadowedElvenArch.

AR6014 - Once I fulfill Bandoth's razor vine quest and leave his lab the game crashes if I try to reenter. I still suspect a script problem somewhere since it only happens after I give him the razor vine extract.

AR7002 - An ice troll at 164.529 has no General or Race script assigned, so it cannot attack or be killed.

AR8001/08/11 - Fire salamanders are initially not immune to their own heat aura, stunning and damaging each other.

AR8001/06/07 - Thieves hidden in shadows can be seen when they attack, though they cannot be attacked. The invisibility effect doesn't seem to be working.

AR8010 - Malavon failed to appear when his simulacrum was killed. Recommend name change in the AR8010.ARE and .BCS files of Malavon's_simulacr to just simulacrum.

AR1103 - Pomab unkillable except by CTRL+Y. Can be hit, but not reduced to anything below Barely Injured. False Pomabs don't disapper when the real Pomab is hit. The real Pomab can flee the room (may be part of the problem).

HEART OF WINTER:

AR9101 - Hobart not present in the Whistling Gallows.

AR9200 - Barbarians walk too fast to Great Mead Hall (may cause problems with Angaar later).

AR9201 - First talk with Wylfdene does not gain 84,000xp when he declares you are not the Ten Town delegates, nor when you tell him you know nothing of the assassin (another 84,000xp).

AR9300 - Ghost Shamans don't cast spells. Polar Bear Spirit roar has no effect on party.

AR9400 - Some Drowned Dead move too fast (may be hasted by Wailing Virgins, but in "fog of war"/unrevealed areas).

AR9200 - Angaar not present at gate, found standing at right entrance to Mead Hall ("fog of war" not cleared that far into the camp, may not move as a result).

AR9201 - Icasaract not seen fleeing Wylfdene's body, game continued properly. Far left exit to camp unreachable.

AR9603 - The Ice Golems in the Sahuagin Temple can be pushed by. They should be immovable until attacked. There is also a bad section of wall in the upper right chamber (1748.505 to 1736.515) you can walk through.

AR9604 - When the dragon Icasaracht is slain I didn't get the animation of her fleeing to the Soul Gem. The Soul Gem failed to summon enemies while the party was out of sight.

TRIALS OF THE LUREMASTER:

AR9704/06/08 - The stairs can be used even when the trap doors are closed.

AR9701 - The stairs need the transition point moved to the left. It's not on the steps.

AR9717 - The game freezes in cutscene mode when I approach the talking door. I didn't matter whether I had no, one or both skulls. I saved in the area and restored to reveal the hidden CRE, talked to it and it let me pass, opening the door. The talking door animation also activated and remained active.

AR9718 - Several olive slimes could not move. Seems they're stepping on each other (foot circle overlap)!

AR9801 - Two altars in AR9801 had Stone Nuisances missing when first visited (none in the Jackalwere area, only one at either the Harpy or Dire Bear area). They were all there on following visits.

THE USUAL

If I saved and restored in Kuldahar, Lonelywood or any other area where invisible creatures were, they appeared and often ran their scripts before they were supposed to.

There were also some animations that didn't fully convert, and as usual they're different with each installation I run...

I hope this will help with the next release.

Ive just completed my IWD & BG2 install.

Things ive found thus far:

Singleplayer is like BG2 single player, rather than the 'create 6 characters' IWD single player - Feature i guess of using the BG2 engine?

Also start gold is far lower - checking the STRTGOLD.2DA files, the IWD original file has an extra column that gives a bonus 250g for each level that each char has. Thus at the start of an unmodded IWD game a part of 6 characters has around 1500g.

Ive just completed my IWD & BG2 install.

Things ive found thus far:

Singleplayer is like BG2 single player, rather than the 'create 6 characters' IWD single player - Feature i guess of using the BG2 engine?

Yep.

Also start gold is far lower - checking the STRTGOLD.2DA files, the IWD original file has an extra column that gives a bonus 250g for each level that each char has. Thus at the start of an unmodded IWD game a part of 6 characters has around 1500g.

Actually, it's 250gp per level after the first. I think the basic table is the same in both games.

Also some items appear to have not come accross properly. EG non-magical longswords and composite longbows purchaced from Pombabs have no descriptions.

Most (but not all) of the basic weapons are missing descriptions.

Bastard Sword, Long sword, 2 Handed Sword (Short Sword is ok), Scimitar, Morning star, Flail (Mace ok), Dart, composite longbow, longbow, shortbow, sling (light and heavy Xbows ok).

Checkign the itm files: SW1H01.ITM to SW1H07.ITM are missing their 'General Description' and 'Identified Description'.

Same with SW2H01 to H03.ITM.

Reply to Grogerson's bug list:

ITEMS:

Random treasures in containers don't appear (but do on creatures).

Fixed. (Typo in the code.)

Owain's Lullaby failed to cast Cone of Cold.

I can't reproduce this: it's fine on my install.

Edion's Ring of Wizardry doubles 6th level spells instead of 5th level as it's description states.

Fixed. (I slightly misunderstood ToBEx.)

ICEWIND DALE:

AR3301 - Therik and the two zombies at the entrance do not attack even when attacked. Their footprint is clearly red (enemy).

Fixed.

AR3501 and beyond - Skeleton archers (KTSKA1, 2, 3, SKELBOW) fire once and then close for melee (no ammo). RNDTRE01 (AROW_P1/P2) and RNDTRE28 (RNGP1/P2) randoms are present but with only one instead of eight and five respectively.

Fixed.

AR4002 - Dragon's Eye level two has three problems.

Freeing Mother Egenia:

GlobalGT("SPRITE_IS_DEADTalonite","GLOBAL",9) required.

The talonite priestess' are being truncated to SPRITE_IS_DEAD_TALONITE_PRIESTESS = 1, no _2 or _3.

Freeing Sheemish:

GlobalGT("Pathdead","GLOBAL",4) required.

The same as above, the key wraith spiders and lizardman shamans are being truncated to lizard_man_shaman_ and wraith_spider_kid_

Recommend name changes in the AR4002.ARE and .BCS files for actors 37 thru 40 and 60 thru 64 as follows:

Talonite_Priest_# to TalonitePriest# (2 actors, optional for consistency only)

Talonite_Priestess_# to TalonitePriestess# (2 actors)

Wraith_Spider_Kid_# to WraithSpiderKid# (2 actors)

Lizard_Man_Shaman_Kid_# to LizardShamanKid# (3 actors)

These variable problems should now all be fine, due to tweaking of the secondary-death-variable algorithm.

Mother Egenia doesn't remain near the entrance to AR4003, but returns to her ziggurat location the first time you return to this level.

Should now be fixed (caused by another typo, this time in the script-converter algorithm.)

AR5304 - Valestis' quest is finished with only three of the four items required. The DVALESTI.DLG file needs all Global("Arbor_Total","GLOBAL",3) corrected to 4.

... which is weird, because it's 3 in the IWD version too. Still, fixed.

AR5402/03 - Kaylessa's quest won't finish because some globals are too long. Recommend name changes in the AR5402/03.ARE and .BCS files from Shadowed_Elven_Sword and Shadowed_Elven_Arche to ShadowedElvenSword and ShadowedElvenArch.

Fixed (see above).

AR6014 - Once I fulfill Bandoth's razor vine quest and leave his lab the game crashes if I try to reenter. I still suspect a script problem somewhere since it only happens after I give him the razor vine extract.

I can't reproduce this one (it's possible it's been fixed en passant by something else).

AR7002 - An ice troll at 164.529 has no General or Race script assigned, so it cannot attack or be killed.

I couldn't reproduce this either, but I think that's because it only comes up in multi-player games. Should be fixed now, in any case.

AR8001/08/11 - Fire salamanders are initially not immune to their own heat aura, stunning and damaging each other.

That's because a script mismatch meant they were casting TANARRI_DEATH_GAZE on themselves; now fixed.

AR8001/06/07 - Thieves hidden in shadows can be seen when they attack, though they cannot be attacked. The invisibility effect doesn't seem to be working.

Fixed.

AR8010 - Malavon failed to appear when his simulacrum was killed. Recommend name change in the AR8010.ARE and .BCS files of Malavon's_simulacr to just simulacrum.

Should now be fixed (same issue with long DVs).

AR1103 - Pomab unkillable except by CTRL+Y. Can be hit, but not reduced to anything below Barely Injured. False Pomabs don't disapper when the real Pomab is hit. The real Pomab can flee the room (may be part of the problem).

Probably because he could flee the area; works now, in any case.

HEART OF WINTER:

AR9101 - Hobart not present in the Whistling Gallows.

Fixed.

AR9200 - Barbarians walk too fast to Great Mead Hall (may cause problems with Angaar later).

The change to the animation converter should have sorted this out.

AR9201 - First talk with Wylfdene does not gain 84,000xp when he declares you are not the Ten Town delegates, nor when you tell him you know nothing of the assassin (another 84,000xp).

Fixed.

AR9300 - Ghost Shamans don't cast spells. Polar Bear Spirit roar has no effect on party.

The result of an earlier bugfix that was slightly too enthusiastic; should work now.

AR9400 - Some Drowned Dead move too fast (may be hasted by Wailing Virgins, but in "fog of war"/unrevealed areas).

I think the animation converter changes should resolve this.

AR9200 - Angaar not present at gate, found standing at right entrance to Mead Hall ("fog of war" not cleared that far into the camp, may not move as a result).

All this should now be fine.

AR9201 - Icasaract not seen fleeing Wylfdene's body, game continued properly. Far left exit to camp unreachable.

I can't reproduce the graphical anomaly; the exit should now be passable.

AR9603 - The Ice Golems in the Sahuagin Temple can be pushed by. They should be immovable until attacked.

I've had to work around this: they now go hostile if you get too close.

There is also a bad section of wall in the upper right chamber (1748.505 to 1736.515) you can walk through.

Fixed.

AR9604 - When the dragon Icasaracht is slain I didn't get the animation of her fleeing to the Soul Gem. The Soul Gem failed to summon enemies while the party was out of sight.

Fixed.

TRIALS OF THE LUREMASTER:

AR9704/06/08 - The stairs can be used even when the trap doors are closed.

Fixed (more typos).

AR9701 - The stairs need the transition point moved to the left. It's not on the steps.

Done.

AR9717 - The game freezes in cutscene mode when I approach the talking door. I didn't matter whether I had no, one or both skulls. I saved in the area and restored to reveal the hidden CRE, talked to it and it let me pass, opening the door. The talking door animation also activated and remained active.

It turns out that IWD hidden creatures can initiate conversation, but BG2 ones can't. Fixed, in any case.

AR9718 - Several olive slimes could not move. Seems they're stepping on each other (foot circle overlap)!

They have the right sized foot circles, but again the engine seems to treat overlaps somewhat differently in the two games. I've separated them.

AR9801 - Two altars in AR9801 had Stone Nuisances missing when first visited (none in the Jackalwere area, only one at either the Harpy or Dire Bear area). They were all there on following visits.

I'm going to conjecture that that's been fixed en passant; if not, let me know.

THE USUAL

If I saved and restored in Kuldahar, Lonelywood or any other area where invisible creatures were, they appeared and often ran their scripts before they were supposed to.

This took a while to pin down, as it only happens in multi-player games. It should be fixed now; even so, I advise people playing in multiplayer to save once they start, move the savegame from MPSAVE to SAVE, and carry on as a single player.

There were also some animations that didn't fully convert, and as usual they're different with each installation I run...

It's very odd that this keeps happening on your system in particular... but in any case, the animation converter now uses Erephine's Infinity Animation hackery to avoid extensive processing, so this should dissolve the problem.

Archived