Amber's Overview and FAQ

Meira

Q: How come it requires ToB? Is it some scripting or spells or wild mages or something?

A: First of all, some scripts in the mod use *SpellRES actions. Although you can technically use them with just SoA by adding them to your action.ids, we decided to play on the safe side. I think along the way there was also some other reason for requiring ToB (I think it might have been a ToB spell that I used somewhere), but I cannot remember it right now. At some point, when I go through everything once more, I might check whether we ended up using something ToB-specific or whether we could just have the mod append the missing SpellRES actions to action.ids (if they are not there already) and have it work without ToB. But for now, I *think* you will need ToB.

All right, I looked into the ToB issue and found out that we use ToB only action MakeGlobal() in our area script, and I don't think that I want to go back fiddling with those - not now at least... Areas have caused enough stress as it is.

So, Amber will require ToB. Sorry about that, all you who never got around buying ToB. :)

Guest Sir AlbaRas
Q: How come it requires ToB? Is it some scripting or spells or wild mages or something?

A: First of all, some scripts in the mod use *SpellRES actions. Although you can technically use them with just SoA by adding them to your action.ids, we decided to play on the safe side. I think along the way there was also some other reason for requiring ToB (I think it might have been a ToB spell that I used somewhere), but I cannot remember it right now. At some point, when I go through everything once more, I might check whether we ended up using something ToB-specific or whether we could just have the mod append the missing SpellRES actions to action.ids (if they are not there already) and have it work without ToB. But for now, I *think* you will need ToB.

All right, I looked into the ToB issue and found out that we use ToB only action MakeGlobal() in our area script, and I don't think that I want to go back fiddling with those - not now at least... Areas have caused enough stress as it is.

So, Amber will require ToB. Sorry about that, all you who never got around buying ToB. :p

Where is Amber?

The final list for voice talents in Amber's SoA part is here:

Amber - Celissa

Girl - Irenicus Knightingale

Boy - Harry

Lorraine - Silk

Demon - Darios

Gabriel - Darios

Ymmyrt - Darios

Ghost boy - Grim Squeaker

:down:

Edited by Meira

The "quest" that leads to your party meeting Amber does indeed start in Athkatla. Have you already either rescued Viconia from the stake or condemned her to death? If you have, you should visit the less reputable areas of the city (Docks, Slums or the Bridge District), where you should overhear a pair of children discussing an interesting topic. And if you haven't dealt with Viconia yet, you should do that first and then visit the said areas.

Also make sure that you have actually installed Amber by looking at your WeiDU log file.

I've just downloaded Amber and look forward to including her in my next group. I have a pet peeve however: I absolutely have to "rush" to Brynnlaw - setting sail on day two or three. A lot of romance mods want/require you to proceed slowly; does the speed at which you reach Imoen have any drastic effect on the PC/Amber romance?

(It's been some time since I've played BG2 - a lot of "new" mods! yea)

I've just downloaded Amber and look forward to including her in my next group. I have a pet peeve however: I absolutely have to "rush" to Brynnlaw - setting sail on day two or three. A lot of romance mods want/require you to proceed slowly; does the speed at which you reach Imoen have any drastic effect on the PC/Amber romance?

(It's been some time since I've played BG2 - a lot of "new" mods! yea)

No, there won't be any drastic effects. Rushing to Brynnlaw will mean that you miss one Underdark specific lovetalk, the player initiated Underdark flirts (5 topics) and obviously some of the slayer interjections require the romance to be 'serious'. However there's nothing that'll stop the romance from being complete. In fact if you wish, Amber could be picked up in chapter 6 and you could still complete the romance (or friendship) track.

No, there won't be any drastic effects.[...]

OK there's no question here but just a "thanks for the reply." Amber is now in the group - a very nice introductory setup. I'm stoked.

I was wondering, since I assume to have played the romance quite far, and now only get the talks that start with (I believe) "Without seeing her you know Amber is there, you have a sense of unease and anticipation." Does this mean that the romance is completed? Or do I simply have to wait more? (If not, then I s'ppose I should go and kill Irenicus by now) :p

By the way, I really, really like this mod!

Edited by Saraith

I'm glad to hear that you like the mod.

*Spoilers*

The lovetalk where she says the magic words, 'I love you' is the last one on the romance-talk track. However since there are several talks that are 'floating', I'd make sure that I at least rest once, during night-time, on a non-city water location. (Windspear hills, for example.) That's how you get the 'bath' lovetalk if you haven't already.. :p If you haven't already got the 'I love you' -talk you should click talk her and ask how she's doing. If there is a talk with special conditions coming up next, she'll give you a hint on how to meet those requirements.