"Roll Your Own Beta Pre-Beta Post-Alpha Pioneers"

cmorgan

Locals:

c-aranearlyflirt=9 // 9 early attempts to let him know you are interested, all happening before he has registered the Lovetalks starting

c-arankisses=1 (this one set shortly before the last save) // Randomizer for more heavy content has kicked in. Need to troubleshoot this versus the other vars.

The early flirt variable was at 4 right before the lovetalks started, but one question - is this supposed to coincide with the aranflirt variable? The reason I ask is because the two have been very far apart in my games.

Edit: Aran initiated flirts have been far and few between in this game. The bed flirt and first bath flirt haven't appeared yet. You may want to consider tweaking them to account for the possibility of Aran and the PC being *very* familiar with each other by the time they appear in game.

The "early flirt" variable is set up only to track PC - initiated flirting early on, before the 3rd friend talk is available. It is supposed to allow a PC who is aggressively interested in him to "jump start" the real flirts, where Aran actually does something other than move away, delay, etc.;

pre-FT3, "early flirts" (independent var)

jump-started flirts (don't remember the number of early flirts, but lots) = jump to "interested" flirts

after FT3, "interested" flirts, tracked by new variable c-aranflirt

after c-aranrom is set to 2, or after a number of "interested" flirts, move forward to "very interested and hands-on" flirts.

after a large number of "interested" and "very interested and hands-on" flirts, c-aranrom is set to 2 if it isn't there already, and "c-goaded" fires off (where he asks to come calling at night).

So, independent settings for the early flirts, but everything else goes to the c-aranflirt var.

The idea with these was to allow a PC to wend her way between two extremes:

A. take a chaste, virtuous approach and get a slow unfolding where (if she says no and plays her cards right) she can have a close-to-standard BioWare romance (with the exception that she does not ever have to actually do more than kiss him to have the relationship continue - BioWare makes everyone sleep together in the romance track, whereas Aran can be played [hopefully] with just descriptive kisses)

to

B. completely vamp him and aggressively seek him out from the moment he gets into the party to the very end of ToB, and still have new content throughout the game (lots of randomization of possible ways through relatively heavy material.)

The toughest one to account for is one that never works in any other mod I have seen, but might be fun to try - the completely chaotic one. Here, one day she runs hot, the next she runs stone cold; she plays around with other NPCs and then him, and then decides to break up with him, then wants him back, then in the very middle of the action she only wants cuddling, then the next minute she wants to flirt, then she doesn't, then she decides to try biting or scratching him to see if its fun, then she plays like it's her first rodeo and she hasn't experienced anything...

... wait a minute. I am writing a pathway for one of my teenage girlfriends. Damn, I'm glad I'm an old married dude!!

The "early flirt" variable is set up only to track PC - initiated flirting early on, before the 3rd friend talk is available. It is supposed to allow a PC who is aggressively interested in him to "jump start" the real flirts, where Aran actually does something other than move away, delay, etc.;

Ah, in that case we may have issues. My PC flirted with him *way* more than 4 times before the 3rd friend talk started. So, it may not be registering every time the PC flirts with Aran. Now that you mention it, the early flirt variable did not set in either the last game or the one before that.

... wait a minute. I am writing a pathway for one of my teenage girlfriends. Damn, I'm glad I'm an old married dude!!

:) See there are advantages to staying married! (20+ years here.)

-I mentioned in the last post about the bed and first bath flirt...Add the "come to me at rest" talk to those. It still hasn't appeared in my game yet either. Is that the same as the night visit talk? Can't remember right off hand.

I reloaded the save I made right before getting Aran to specifically try the flirt counters. The first time forcetalking him got Aran's first talk - "Aye, that be strange". Second time, (party was still in the new area), the inn flirt appeared. Outside in the Promenade forcetalked/chose flirt option 15 more times. Allowing time in between each for both characters to stand upright again, (doing nothing), before forcetalking him again.

Here's the variables that set:

Global-

c-aranflirt=5

c-aranfriendbg2=2

c-aranpcflirtstart=1

c-aranrom=1

c-innflirts=1

Locals-

c-aranearlyflirt=13

The flirts did change the last couple of times, (Aran didn't move away, etc.)

No flirts from Aran, just the PC flirting with him.

Edit: Trying it exactly the same way for a second time and the same thing happened with the first forcetalk, (got first talk). Did get different responses from him during inn talk this time. Then 15 times of forcetalking/choosing flirt option outside in the Promenade. All the variables were the same except for this one:

c-aranflirt=3

The flirts changed when I got to #14.

Any thoughts?

It looks like it is going according to plan, as the engine can be slow to recognize things, depending on what it is dealing with. It looks right.

/* NPC-Initiated Flirts: */

/* Set up flirting for initial entries - Set through PID flirting a bunch of times */
IF
Global("c-aranpcflirtstart","GLOBAL",0)
GlobalGT("c-aranearlyflirt","LOCALS",12)// try this value - may be too high or too low
GlobalLT("c-aranfriendbg2","GLOBAL",7)
GlobalLT("c-aranbg2rom","GLOBAL",7)
OR(2)
	Global("c-aranrom","GLOBAL",1)
	Global("c-aranrom","GLOBAL",2)
!HasItemEquiped("belt05",Player1)
THEN RESPONSE #100
SetGlobal("c-aranpcflirtstart","GLOBAL",1)
RealSetGlobalTimer("c-aranflirttimer","GLOBAL",%choseninitialflirt%)
END

This triggers his NPC flirts, so he starts flirting early - but I'll check against the other settings.

Nightvisit is the PC-initiated stuff, that can happen over and over again. The "goaded" talk, after a ton of heavy flirting, he comes over to PC and asks about visiting at night, and if PC says yes, it triggers out of the dream script.

The baths currently are inside the inn flirts, so depending on what inn-flirt you are on, each one has a different set of encounters. If they are cycling properly, you should get several opportunities in different pathways to head that direction.

If you have asked him to come to you at night, and he hasn't, then i probably need to remove those timers like Berelinde suggested and look for another way of dealing with overlap. I am not happy about it, because !RealGlobalTimerNotExpired() should be darned well foolproof; IF realglobaltimerX is NOT NOT expired should = if realglobaltimerX has never been set or has expired...

but I'll go with working code and some hassles with multiple encounters at night. If I really want it that way, I can always use the "imitate rest but not actually rest" cutscenes Berelinde cooked up.

-OK, I had the talks straight in my head then.

Yes, chose "come to me at rest" from the PID and the talk has not appeared. Is it possible that the talk I reported earlier that didn't appear in Umar Hills could've been the night visit talk trying to fire. (It took it a long time if it was) Something tried to fire since Aran talked to my PC, but got the PC flirt menu instead. (Reported that in the post this morning.)

-The inn flirt has only come up twice in my current game. (Not the flirt test) Once in C. C. and once in Umar Hills. The other times forcetalking got the PC flirt menu options as expected.

cmorgan, I had an epiphany on the way home from work. You know those dream timers you are using that tend to cause issues with the dream script? You don't need 'em. At all.

If you remember, whe we did RE, we had some issues with Irenicus dreams occurring during the encounters and causing hanging cutscenes because the PC (and possibly the party) would wind up in the wrong area. So, the workaround was to use those rest simulator scripts. So every RE encounter where resting the party causes problems already comes with its own failsafes and you don't have to worry about it.

And regarding another night talk firing on the same night as your dialogue, it really isn't much of a big deal. Unless you are moving Aran and the PC to another area to have the convo, it doesn't matter. OK, it's a little weird, but it's life. Players are used to it. And it isn't as if you could possibly add dream timers t every other NPC mod out there *and* the BioWare romances, too. So at most, you would be affecting Aran's dream script, and you don't need to worry about that since only one block of the dreamscript will run on resting anyway.

So there! Problem solved.

Did a clean install with the a60f224 files. New game, but wanted to let you know that Aran has gotten drunk twice, (once in his starting area, once in the C. C.), and it did not CTD. Did have to forcetalk him to get the drunk talks to appear. Hope that's the way you wanted it to work.

Got a question about the gifts Aran says he's giving to the PC. Would you be open to adding the items so he actually is giving them to her?

cmorgan, I had an epiphany on the way home from work. You know those dream timers you are using that tend to cause issues with the dream script? You don't need 'em. At all.

I wish I understood why they aren't working, as they have been successfully used before, but when you put it that way, you are right.

The Player1D stuff still should be timered, but I could probably emulate it with some careful checks for variables instead. I'll comment them out and we'll give that a shot.

If you root around in Aran's pack, you will keep getting the dialogue pop up again and again and again and again. Is there some way to stick a timer on that?

Heck, yes. Good idea. I am using one in-game day as a delay for most things like this (apologies, etc.), so let's do that. Adding a timer to block that particular set of responses on both male and female branches.

EDIT: - nope - wait a minute - that had better be a week of game time. There would not even remotely be enough time to write the letters anyways. Let's try a week.

EDIT EDIT: Where are my FR manners. Let's try a tenday. Fast players will miss some, but most people shouldn't be finished in 80 game days, right?

Did a clean install with the a60f224 files. New game, but wanted to let you know that Aran has gotten drunk twice, (once in his starting area, once in the C. C.), and it did not CTD. Did have to forcetalk him to get the drunk talks to appear. Hope that's the way you wanted it to work.

Well, no CTD is good; in my game, he is initiating the talks -

I wonder why

/* Drunk Talks (incorporates Flirts if gender and romance variables set)	*/
/* Using GLOBAL here so it can influence friendtalks */
IF
GlobalLT("c-arandrunk","GLOBAL",4)	// shuts down sequence when finished
InParty(Myself)
CheckStatGT(Myself,40,INTOXICATION)	// Whoot - the room is moving about too much
OR(13)
	AreaCheck("AR0313") // Sea's Bounty
	AreaCheck("AR0406") // Copper Coronet
	AreaCheck("AR0509") // Five Flagons
	AreaCheck("AR0522") // Five Flagons (Stronghold)
	AreaCheck("AR0704") // Mithrest Inn
	AreaCheck("AR1105") // Umar Inn
	AreaCheck("AR1602") // The Vulgar Monkey
	AreaCheck("AR2010") // Vyatri's Pub, Trademeet
	AreaCheck("AR0709") // Den of the Seven Vales 1st Floor
	AreaCheck("AR0513") // Calbor's Inn at Bridge District 1st Floor
	AreaCheck("AR0021") // Crooked Crane 1st Floor
	AreaCheck("AR1602") // Brynnlaw's Inn
	AreaCheck("C-AR01") // The Broken Sword (Aran's initial inn )
OR(2)
	Global("c-arandrunk","GLOBAL",0)
	Global("c-arandrunk","GLOBAL",2)
	// Global("c-arandrunk","GLOBAL",4)
InMyArea(Player1)
!StateCheck(Player1,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
CombatCounter(0)
!See([ENEMY])
THEN
RESPONSE #100
	IncrementGlobal("c-arandrunk","GLOBAL",1)
END

IF
GlobalLT("c-arandrunk","GLOBAL",4)	// shuts down sequence when finished
!GlobalTimerNotExpired("c-aransmalltalk","GLOBAL") // Timer (game-time) has never been set or has expired
InParty(Myself)
!StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
InMyArea(Player1)
!StateCheck(Player1,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
OR(13)
	AreaCheck("AR0313") // Sea's Bounty
	AreaCheck("AR0406") // Copper Coronet
	AreaCheck("AR0509") // Five Flagons
	AreaCheck("AR0522") // Five Flagons (Stronghold)
	AreaCheck("AR0704") // Mithrest Inn
	AreaCheck("AR1105") // Umar Inn
	AreaCheck("AR1602") // The Vulgar Monkey
	AreaCheck("AR2010") // Vyatri's Pub, Trademeet
	AreaCheck("AR0709") // Den of the Seven Vales 1st Floor
	AreaCheck("AR0513") // Calbor's Inn at Bridge District 1st Floor
	AreaCheck("AR0021") // Crooked Crane 1st Floor
	AreaCheck("AR1602") // Brynnlaw's Inn
	AreaCheck("C-AR01") // The Broken Sword (Aran's initial inn )
CombatCounter(0)	// Not in combat
!See([ENEMY])	// Can't see any enemies
OR(2)
	Global("c-arandrunk","GLOBAL",1)
	Global("c-arandrunk","GLOBAL",3)
	// Global("c-arandrunk","GLOBAL",5)
THEN
RESPONSE #100
	PlaySong(0)
	PlaySound("c-arandf")
	StartDialogueNoSet(Player1)
END

isn't working on other installs. Probably the "spacer" timer is blocking it from firing right away. I'll re-investigate.

Got a question about the gifts Aran says he's giving to the PC. Would you be open to adding the items so he actually is giving them to her?
I don't know... it is a nice idea, but it means more stuff besides letters for PC to have to dump or to have to carry around in inventory. Let's table the idea for now, but circle back to it in awhile. I'm logging it with "potential content expansion".

Archived