"Roll Your Own Beta Pre-Beta Post-Alpha Pioneers"

cmorgan

Does the game actually register them as drunk like that or is it a "pretend" drunk?

Also, due to the crash I deleted all the temp game files and went back to the previous save. Phone rang, so the party was standing long enough for the bored comments to appear. After a few of those Aran's banters came up one right after another. Anomen's, then Yoshimo's. Any ideas why that made them appear?

After a few of those Aran's banters came up one right after another. Anomen's, then Yoshimo's. Any ideas why that made them appear?

Weighting issue. Yoshimo probably has a scripted banter that doesn't have a WEIGHT #-1 out in front of the trigger.

On the dialog-driven one... blast. I lied. It looks like a few versions ago, I rolled it into the drunk talks. Probably because I was unhappy about trying to increment the intoxication stat.

I'm offline for a few hours, but will add in some of the Slaver interjections tonight if I can stop typing typos... I'll grab my BG1NPC worklogs and see if I have run into this before (or found a solution before).

I chose "fighter" configuration, all the best gear, plate mail, bastard sword, shield, and longbow.

When I attempted to switch his +2 arrows for regular arrows, I got a CTD. The reason for the CTD is that his longbow is equiped in weapon slot 2... while he is carrying a shield. Equiping the arrows attempts to equip the bow. It's the old AoE crash. If you have reports of crashes while entering the inn for the first time, this may be why.

Also, when Orrin gives out quests, it might be helpful to add journal entries about who to talk to. He just told me go talk to the female merc, but I've already forgotten her name and I'll probably forget that I need to talk to her at all within a few moments. I know, journal entries are loathsome things. I feel your pain.

Now that is a serious PITA - I really should have remembered that. It is the Anomen thing, too.

That at least is an easy fix - I can just not equip the bow, and put it into inventory. Though I was darned sure that the code fixed this from happening...

END // begin writing to the .cre file now
 PATCH_IF (~%added_helm%~ STR_CMP ~nothing~) THEN BEGIN
ADD_CRE_ITEM ~%added_helm%~ #0 #0 #0 IDENTIFIED HELMET
 END
 PATCH_IF (~%added_armor%~ STR_CMP ~nothing~) THEN BEGIN
ADD_CRE_ITEM ~%added_armor%~ #0 #0 #0 IDENTIFIED ARMOR
 END
 PATCH_IF (~%added_shield%~ STR_CMP ~nothing~) THEN BEGIN
ADD_CRE_ITEM ~%added_shield%~  #0  #0 #0 IDENTIFIED SHIELD
 END
 PATCH_IF (~%added_weapon1%~ STR_CMP ~nothing~) THEN BEGIN
ADD_CRE_ITEM ~%added_weapon1%~ #0  #0 #0 IDENTIFIED WEAPON1 EQUIP
 END
 PATCH_IF (~%added_weapon2%~ STR_CMP ~nothing~) THEN BEGIN
ADD_CRE_ITEM ~%added_weapon2%~ #0  #0 #0 IDENTIFIED WEAPON3
 END
 PATCH_IF (~%added_bow%~ STR_CMP ~nothing~) THEN BEGIN
ADD_CRE_ITEM ~%added_bow%~  #0  #0 #0 IDENTIFIED WEAPON2
 END
 PATCH_IF (~%added_ammo%~ STR_CMP ~nothing~) THEN BEGIN
ADD_CRE_ITEM ~%added_ammo%~ #20 #0 #0 IDENTIFIED QUIVER1
 END
 PATCH_IF (~%added_item%~ STR_CMP ~nothing~) THEN BEGIN
ADD_CRE_ITEM ~%added_item%~ #5 #0 #0 IDENTIFIED QITEM1
 END
END

Blast. Nope. The code happily will equip the bow and the shield at the same time, because I didn't condition it to look for that matchup.

Hold on. Something is odd. From the WeiDU docs;

Example #4:

If you want to add a two-handed weapon and equip it, here’s what you do:

COPY_EXISTING ~alynar.cre~ ~override/alynar.cre~

ADD_CRE_ITEM ~sw2h01~ #0 #0 #0 ~NONE~ ~WEAPON2~ EQUIP TWOHANDED

This will place the item in the second weapon slot (and again, if there’s already a weapon there it’s moved to inventory), remove anything that’s in the shield slot and put it in an empty inventory slot and finally it will equip the weapon.

If you just want to add a two-handed weapon to a cre but don’t need it equipped, then you don’t have to worry about specifying EQUIP or TWOHANDED.

And

Note: starting from v189, you can use INV, QITEM, QUIVER, WEAPON and RING as shortcuts respectively to INV1 INV2 ... INV15 INV16, QITEM1 QITEM2 QITEM3, QUIVER1 QUIVER2 QUIVER3, WEAPON1...WEAPON4, RRING LRING.

OK, the fix is still simple: create the shield in inventory, and if there is a bow present, equip it and register it as two-handed. So that way the .cre will be valid no matter what; plus, Aran isn't standing around with a shield strapped on. He might have a bow in his hand, but anything else will just be in the slots but not equipped.

END // begin writing to the .cre file now
 PATCH_IF (~%added_helm%~ STR_CMP ~nothing~) THEN BEGIN
ADD_CRE_ITEM ~%added_helm%~ #0 #0 #0 IDENTIFIED HELMET
 END
 PATCH_IF (~%added_armor%~ STR_CMP ~nothing~) THEN BEGIN
ADD_CRE_ITEM ~%added_armor%~ #0 #0 #0 IDENTIFIED ARMOR
 END
 PATCH_IF (~%added_shield%~ STR_CMP ~nothing~) THEN BEGIN
ADD_CRE_ITEM ~%added_shield%~  #0  #0 #0 IDENTIFIED INV
 END
 PATCH_IF (~%added_weapon1%~ STR_CMP ~nothing~) THEN BEGIN
ADD_CRE_ITEM ~%added_weapon1%~ #0  #0 #0 IDENTIFIED WEAPON
 END
 PATCH_IF (~%added_weapon2%~ STR_CMP ~nothing~) THEN BEGIN
ADD_CRE_ITEM ~%added_weapon2%~ #0  #0 #0 IDENTIFIED WEAPON
 END
 PATCH_IF (~%added_bow%~ STR_CMP ~nothing~) THEN BEGIN
ADD_CRE_ITEM ~%added_bow%~  #0  #0 #0 IDENTIFIED WEAPON EQUIP TWOHANDED
 END
 PATCH_IF (~%added_ammo%~ STR_CMP ~nothing~) THEN BEGIN
ADD_CRE_ITEM ~%added_ammo%~ #20 #0 #0 IDENTIFIED QUIVER
 END
 PATCH_IF (~%added_item%~ STR_CMP ~nothing~) THEN BEGIN
ADD_CRE_ITEM ~%added_item%~ #5 #0 #0 IDENTIFIED QITEM
 END
END

Testing it out now...

I got around the crash by simply using ShadowKeeper and deleting the bow from his inventory on the CRE file. I mentioned it only to prevent crashes in future betas.

There was something else, some minor nitpick, but I don't remember it at the moment. If it doesn't come to me, it wasn't important.

God, I love weidu. The bigg deserves some serious kudos for making it this blasted powerful! The fix worked great; incorporating it to the local master file now. Adding some interjections and seeing how much I can whip together in the time alloted tonight, and then I will push the changes to GitHub. Going through the PM'd fixes/feedback and incorporating as much as i can without major rewrites.

Also, when Orrin gives out quests, it might be helpful to add journal entries about who to talk to. He just told me go talk to the female merc, but I've already forgotten her name and I'll probably forget that I need to talk to her at all within a few moments. I know, journal entries are loathsome things. I feel your pain.

Ackpthpppppppppt.

Journal Entries. Don't leave Amn Without Them.

Journal Entries. When You Absolutely, Positively Have To Get Bug Reports OverNight.

Jounal Entries, Take Me Away!

Jounal Entries Are Forever.

Celebrate the Moments of Your Journal Entries.

Between Love And Madness Lies Jounal Entries.

And Then She Made Two Journal Entries, And So On, And So On....

Two All Beef Patties, Special Sauce, Lettuce, Cheese, Pickles, Onions On a Sesame-Seed Journal Entry.

Mama Mia That's A Spicy Journal Entry!

(But you are right, B. I need to get over my haterd of non-removing-when-they-are-supposed-to Journal Entries, and get them in there. )

Got a kick out of the "shield wall" banter. At the time it fired, the party was sorcerer PC, Aran (sword and board), Anomen (sword and board), Gavin (sword and board), Minsc (2H sword), and Yoshi (katana and buckler). How many more shields does he want? Maybe the PC needs a line to the effect of "If we had any more timber on our front line, we'd attract wandering beavers." OK, thats lame. The only jokes I can think of involve skeletons.

Heh! I'll work on it - something could work with that.

By the way, for anyone doing modding, see - even folks who have been doing this for years have to grub around and try to get stuff going. So half the fun is getting stuff to work! And n that note, anyone currently using the pre-betas available before the commit going up in a few minutes, please don't try the ToB portion of the game. Apparently, while there is some content there, the script was *much* more complete than the talks. And the script blocks were enabled. With no target content written. Stutterfest 10 real-time minutes into ToB. The latest pre-beta up tonight should solve that, and serve as a test as to whether or not PLAYER1.dlg can successfully be accessed in ToB. I don't think I have ever seen it done before, so we are going to give it a go.

While I am at it, any other foolhardy and silly things that push the boundaries of what the poor designers ever thought was ok/decent/doable/proper/feasible to do with dialogs? I might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb.

OK, bedtime. And tomorrow may be slim for time, but I'll try for some time to check in.

Changelog for integrated fixes from today is here ,

and the latest version is now cmorganbg-Aran-Whitehand-2d9bcfe.zip

(I was really excited about the "954 additions and 593 deletions", until i realized that i cleaned up several files' trailing spaces and changed EOL on a file or two to Windows from Unix... so it really is a good deal less change than it seems.)

Archived