"Roll Your Own Beta Pre-Beta Post-Alpha Pioneers"

cmorgan

The talk in which Aran brings this up is FriendTalk 10 c-aranfriendbg2 = 19

The only things cmorgan has listed in the baf are:

Global("c-aranspar","GLOBAL",1)

InParty(Myself)

!RealGlobalTimerNotExpired("c-arandreamtalk","GLOBAL")

!RealGlobalTimerExpired("RE_DreamTimer","GLOBAL")

!StateCheck(Myself,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)

!StateCheck(Player1,CD_STATE_NOTVALID)

OR(2)

AreaType(OUTDOOR)

AreaType(FOREST)

!AreaType(DUNGEON)

And it is supposed to come up at rest.

What kind of "Wilderness area" is required for Aran's sparring night talk? Tried it in the Umar Hills, traditionally considered a wilderness area, and got nada. Suggestions?

That's weird, I got that talk without even needing to be in a wilderness area, I just had to sleep outside. Well technically I guess it was wilderness, (outside de'Arnise Keep).

However did you get the talk where he offers to spar first, then says that now is a bad time so next time you all decide to rest outside you can have a go at it?

Yesh, got the "now is a bad time" talk and he promised to spar later. And that explains why the sparring dialogue won't fire.

There are only 3 areas in BG2 flagged as forests. One of them is the D'Arnise keep, but only after Nalia's problem have been solved. Before that, it's flagged as a dungeon. The other 2 areas are the Small Teeth Pass and the North Forest. Seriously, AreaType(OUTDOOR), is probably all that's required. That's what's used in the BioWare romances. That's what other mods (including Gavin) use. If you want to get fancy, I've got a list floating around...

+ ~OR(27) 
AreaCheck("AR0085") 
AreaCheck("AR1100") 
AreaCheck("AR1101") 
AreaCheck("AR1102") 
AreaCheck("AR1104") 
AreaCheck("AR1105") 
AreaCheck("AR1106") 
AreaCheck("AR1107") 
AreaCheck("AR1200") 
AreaCheck("AR1204") 
AreaCheck("AR1300") 
AreaCheck("AR1304") 
AreaCheck("AR1400") 
AreaCheck("AR1404") 
AreaCheck("AR1700") 
AreaCheck("AR1800") 
AreaCheck("AR1900") 
AreaCheck("AR1901") 
AreaCheck("AR1902") 
AreaCheck("AR1904") 
AreaCheck("AR1905") 
AreaCheck("AR2500") 
AreaCheck("AR2600") 
AreaCheck("AR2602") 
AreaCheck("AR2603")
AreaCheck("AR2700") 
AreaCheck("AR2800")~ + ~Sure.~ + t14.walkforest

Only a few seconds running through, but tomorrow night I will have more time and go back through - I'm snagging the OR(27), B, because why would I do something simple, comfortable, working, and proper when I could make it needlessly detailed and complicated :)

@ the knowing about soul thing - I think in that and another talk, I fell victim to my own lack of sense of pacing.

Racing out, but I appreciate the feedback, folks -

I will catch you tomorrow night, and get working through the reports for toady and tomorrow.

----------

a1854

[ARAN] oh gods...

"Oh gods..." or "Oh, gods..."

----------

a1832

[ARAN] ah...

"Ah..."

----------

a1318

[ARAN] (and his eyes snap up to meet yours...

"(And his eyes snap up to meet yours..."

----------

a1319

[ARAN] errr...

"Errr..."

----------

a1352

[ARAN] (looking directly...

"(Looking directly..."

----------

a1359

[ARAN] Aye, thanks. That's reward...

Only need one space between that's and reward. There are two in the dlg file.

----------

a1377

[ARAN] absolutely stupid...

"Absolutely stupid..."

[ARAN] but I figured...

"But I figured..."

----------

a1381

[ARAN] You are so different,... an ' then

"... an' then..."

----------

a1384

[ARAN] I did one talk to some follower o' Deneir...

Did you mean: "I did once talk to some follower o' Deneir..."

----------

a1397

[ARAN] (blushes) No damage...

"(Blushes) No damage..."

----------

a1431

[ARAN] might see the sights...

"Might see the sights..."

----------

c-arangoaded=2

a3364, a3373, a3406, a3405

[PC] This is not working out. I should leave.~ + a3371

You have Aran 'visiting' the PC and initiating this talk. Perhaps: "...You should leave now."

----------

a3399

[PC] No. that was hurtful...

"No. That was hurtful..."

----------

a3406

[PC] (whisper) I can think of other things...

"(Whisper) I can think of other things..."

----------

a3406

[PC] (whisper) So close...

"(Whisper) So close..."

----------

a3420

[ARAN] Now, was that so painful?...

Only need one space between so and painful. There are two in the dlg file.

----------

a3449

[ARAN] So all this walkin' was a means to get me alone for a mite bit, an' take advantage o' me, I bet.

"So, all this walkin'..."

Possible PC response: "That's a bet you would win."

----------

IIRC this was part of the inn flirt. This pathway is out of sync:

a797

[ARAN] You look right fine to me any day, but that dress might just be outlawed...

[PC] I would love to dance, but I think it might cause... problems.~ + a798

a798

[ARAN] There won't be no problems...

[PC] Well, I think I would be more comfortable right here. (Sit down in his lap.)~ + a2271

a2271

[ARAN] Careful, now...

[PC] Come on, Aran...Teach me to scribe something interesting.~ + a2102

a2102

[ARAN] That would be a pleasure. Here, I can help better if you sit right here...

-On this pathway she's already sitting on his lap.

-And this part seems to have something missing:

a2102

[PC] (Wiggle a bit on his lap, adjusting yourself and making a show of picking up the quill.)~ + a2058

a2058

[ARAN] Well, don't blame a lad for tryin', eh?~ EXIT

----------

----------

a835

[ARAN] Mask's Mighty Menace, you blighted little weasel!...

[ARAN] (He mutters a bit...

[PC] (You spill the drink into his lap.)~ + a838

a838

[ARAN] (He sputters his drink across the table and yelps. Foul curses fly from his mouth as he makes his way out of the room.)

SetGlobal("c-aranfight","GLOBAL",1)~ EXIT

-Accidents can happen. Perhaps use "You pour the drink into his lap." So there is no doubt the act was intentional, since the fight variable is set here.

----------

I have RE installed this game and Aran was not in the party when my PC had the encounter with Laran. After Aran joined this variable set: c-arnrelaran=9

----------

c-aranbg2rom=5 - a542

[ARAN] (Aran is walking close to you...

[ARAN] (Suddenly, he pauses, hiking up his pack.)

[PC] (You move beside him, stepping close to his left shoulder, and help him adjust the strap.)~ + a545

a545

[ARAN] (Aran coughs slightly, and a quiet smile creases his weatherbeaten face. He raises his eyes to yours.)

[PC] (You return his smile, and your eyes meet his.)~ + a553

a553

[ARAN] (His gaze holds yours for a time, and he moves closer to you, until there are but a few inches between your face and his. His smile becomes more intimate, and his fingers gently stroke your hair in return.)

-On this pathway, the PC has not stroked his hair, so the "in return" sounds a bit out of place.

-And you may want to add a few more clear out points, in case a player wants and/or needs to end this talk sooner.

----------

a2752

[ARAN] I'm not rightly sure I know what you mean....Better to be up front an' honest, as th'' lady in question...

"...as th' lady in question..."

----------

1) Apart from the fact that PCs who don't clear Nalia's Keep early on won't get the sparring banter, things have been going swimminly for me. No stutters, no NVROL, and the only code I've been tempted to pull code apart is that one time where he keeps initiating dialogue at an inn unless you go with him somewhere. That said, I'm still in Chapter 3.

2) Please consider staggering your flirts and your dialogues. Flirts are nice when they break up long stretches between LTs. I suggest using non-standard values for the flirt timer so that it won't always coincide with a lovetalk. Instead of using 15min, 30min, 45min, 60min, 90min, and 120min, use 20min, 40min, 50min, 70min, 100min, and 140min. That way, odds of having the flirts line up with the talks is reduced.

@B - That is odd. I haven't even been to the Keep map yet and I got the spar talk in Umar Hills. The game files I'm using are 2d9bcfe. Party: Minsc, Yoshimo, Kivan, Aran and Anomen. PC is a CG Elf FM.

The things I have found so far:

-Only one banter from Aran with Minsc. And I had to let the party stand around and be bored before that one fired. No other banters.

-The morning talk for the spar talk did not fire. I got an Aran initiated flirt instead.

As for the timers, I am still in Chapter 2 and I think I have gone thru just about all of Aran's friend and romance talks. If the 15 min timers stay in, players will go from a talkfest to a typical NPC pretty quickly.

Alright, I did get one PID menu popup, as if Aran was going to say something but there was nothing in his D to match the script, but it didn't repeat. Mentioning it for th sake of completeness, but unless it happens again, there's no point in dwelling on it.

Aran had just finished his "Congratulations, you have Nalia's Keep!" talk, so it's possible that the talk was triggered from script before the closing variable was set. I'm running with multi-strongholds.

Starting work on the backlog of reports (actually, taking a break to report in). First up was recheck on why the "Morning After" talk from the sparring was not firing - misset global, so I adjusted it and cleaned up some stuff near it (mostly cosmetic).

I am trying out a new way of dealing with the inn flirts availability; using SetGlobalTimer=ONE_DAY to block repetition of inn flirts to one per in-game day.

Now I am working through the flirtmaterials and deciding where a flirt is a ~RestParty()~ and when it is open enough that PC could have another thing happen that night - not fully closing off the current behavior, but tackling anything that ends with leaving or dancing all night or drinking/making out, and adding RestParty().

I need to do another pass at this, and look for places with adult materials that use RestParty() instead of your "rest the party but don't trigger the dreamscript and have multiple night encounters fire" cutscenes.

I also figured out that all of the Watcher's Keep talks don't fire, because I never set up the .bcs block that sets the var and triggers it... so doing that now. Then, I'm starting with the easier stuff (typos, spacing) and working through that!

Hey, B, two favors, please - rest a few days in Nalia's Keep as the owner, please, and see if his "Stone Walls Stone Hearts" plays... he has a mini "quest" that influences the Keep revolt variable.

and if you end up getting all of the strongholds, please let me know if his EasterEgg 'I'm overwhelmed with paperwork" one fires. Neither of those has had a playtest in real play, just triggering through setting variables via clua.

Got a bit more for you and a couple of questions:

----------

a3227

[ARAN] 'There were no words as Deborah created...

Only need one space between created and crafted - The dialog file has two. And perhaps use breaks, of some kind, to indicate Aran was thinking as he was writing. Example: "... created ... crafted ... crufted ... crinfalled. There were no sonunds ... there were... blighted hells. Note:"

----------

-The stream talk appeared 3 times in Umar Hills. "Not that I be complainin'", just wanted to make sure that was what you intended.

-All the talks/flirts that can lead to intimacy need to account the level of intimacy between the PC and Aran. "Come to me at rest", night visit, and the inn flirts currently aren't registering that in all instances. Once the PC and Aran have shared *everything*, it seems odd for him to talk like it's the first time. I believe you intended for this to be incorporated already, so something may have been missed or the variables were going bonkers. In my game, after spar, stream, night visit, and multiple flirts leading to varying degrees of intimacy, I believe it was an inn flirt that appeared. The only PC menu option were the first time touching, etc. lines again. Could variables be re-setting in certain areas of the flirts, etc?

-Expanding on last point: PID may need some additions/tweaking to take the late stage romance into account. Again, after *everything* has happened between them, Aran shouldn't be at all surprised by the PC asking for just about anything, at any time...probably should expect it. So, adding PID options for the PC to ask him for whatever she may want, would be a big plus for the late stage romance.

-The "come to me at rest" talk variable set correctly, then shut off after the talk. But *not* before the spar talk fired. PC asked for visit, (before spar talk variable was set), and the next few rests, (inns and outdoors), the visit talk did not fire. Didn't choose the "forget about it" option to see when/if the talk would appear. The rest immediately after the spar talk, the visit talk fired and then cycled on/off.

-One of the times forcetalking Aran, an Aran initiated flirt appeared instead of PC flirt menu options. The PC flirt options changed slightly, the next time forcetalked. So, I believe I triggered the heavy flirts. Some of Aran's variables from my last save are at the end of this post.

-The letters are a really good addition.

"just kiss her and keep kissing her until she either kills you or professes her love"

-Hey, he should listen to his sister. :)

-I could've missed this when I was going thru the dlg file, but I didn't see a specific talk allowing the PC to let Aran know whether or not she returns his affections. Would you consider adding, perhaps, Aran catching the PC reading the last letter or something like that? The talk could be linked in other ways, so that even PCs who do not read the letters still get a chance to tell Aran he is/is not their chosen significant other.

-Along the same lines, what about Aran comments/talks/etc. about other romances that are active? If he starts having real feelings for the PC, (as indicated in the letters), wouldn't it naturally spur a reaction from him? I find it hard to believe any man would remain totally silent while watching other men chase, try to bed, etc. the woman he loves. Granted, it may be different than the other romance conflicts, but it just seems odd there is silence in this area of the romance. Contract or no, there is male ego at play.

-The above also applies to Romantic Encounters. Have you decided how Aran will respond to the PC choosing one of those encounters as his relationship with the her progresses?

----------

Global:

c-aranbg2rom=16

c-aranflirt=27

c-aranfriendbg2=26

c-aranintimate=4

c-arannightvisit=0

c-aranrom=2

c-aransex=1

c-aransexspar=5

c-innflirts=3

c-aranstreamtalk=1

c-aranpcflirtstart=2

c-aranlight and heavyflirt=0

Locals:

c-aranpcbedding=0

c-aransp2=1

c-araninn3=1

c-aransp323=1

c-arankisses=3

----------

Thanks! Adding these to the worklog for investigation -

on two of them, I need to chek to see what is firing/not firing,.

Along the same lines, what about Aran comments/talks/etc. about other romances that are active? If he starts having real feelings for the PC, (as indicated in the letters), wouldn't it naturally spur a reaction from him? I find it hard to believe any man would remain totally silent while watching other men chase, try to bed, etc. the woman he loves. Granted, it may be different than the other romance conflicts, but it just seems odd there is silence in this area of the romance. Contract or no, there is male ego at play.
These may need a more overt talk - with Anomen, he grumbles; with almost everyone else, there is a ToB talk that fires through banter that reflects some of this, but the other reactions were supposed to be integrated directly into the friendtalks and lovetalks. It may be that an entire file of changes never made it in (I had a harddrive wipe that took a bunch of content out of play and I had to rebuild it from disparate files, another reason to love GitHub) so I will take a look. He won't have traditional squabbles, but he could get a little snippy. Or, even more likely, PC could find him in a compromising position, with the "What's Sauce For The Goose Is Sauce For The gander". I know I wrote one of those years ago. Wonder where it went?

The above also applies to Romantic Encounters. Have you decided how Aran will respond to the PC choosing one of those encounters as his relationship with the her progresses?
There are supposdly a few in there. Chanelle is; some of the others are simple DisplayStringHeads like "look what th' cat dragged in" or something like that. I'll take a look and see if I integrated that or simply decided he would shut up and soldier, and try to work harder to get PC's attention. If he is true to form, he would be incredibly passive-agressive.
-The "come to me at rest" talk variable set correctly, then shut off after the talk. But *not* before the spar talk fired. PC asked for visit, (before spar talk variable was set), and the next few rests, (inns and outdoors), the visit talk did not fire. Didn't choose the "forget about it" option to see when/if the talk would appear. The rest immediately after the spar talk, the visit talk fired and then cycled on/off.

This one is easy; fixing this by making sure the spar talk on the female PC side shuts down the nighttalk variable when it is triggered; rechecking the filtering on that set of .bcs entries! Most of all, rechecking the timers.

Hey, piperb, the sparring - too long? Did you get some verbal play in, or all action text? Does it need less randomness and more scripting?

I actually like this one a lot. And yes, in my last run thru my PC got two hits in before tackling him. :D

As for the action text vs. verbal play, it was pretty balanced. There was enough description so you understand what's happening, then it was just a matter of choosing how to counter his attacks. I reloaded and tried this multiple times and it was different each time. The others may have had a different experience or have different thoughts on the overall talk, but I think it's very good. :)

Edit: I especially like that you added options for those of us who would think of tricking him to win.

Archived