Recommended build for a noob?

Guest falalalalala

Guest falalalalala

Hello,

First of all, to the creator - what an excellent mod, thank you for all the work you put into it :)

I'm starting a new run and I want to take advantage of the improved AI, and adhere closely to PnP rules, while keeping the game's original atmosphere and staying at a moderate difficulty. I'm not an experienced BG2 player so I don't want to have to reload every encounter until that takes the focus from the story and the rest of the game.

Could someone suggest which components are "essential" for that kind of experience? And which components are recommended to combine? Like, if I install the new mantle and absolute immunity, and I also install X, it will make the game insanely difficult... or if I change +1 magical weapons into fine ones, but don't install Y, the game feels too easy or missing something? Should fiends, celestials, dragons, etc cast spells like wizards or is it more true to PnP if they insta cast? Etc, etc...

And also, is it advisable to install aTweaks as well?

Many thanks :D

Could someone suggest which components are "essential" for that kind of experience? And which components are recommended to combine? Like, if I install the new mantle and absolute immunity, and I also install X, it will make the game insanely difficult... or if I change +1 magical weapons into fine ones, but don't install Y, the game feels too easy or missing something? Should fiends, celestials, dragons, etc cast spells like wizards or is it more true to PnP if they insta cast? Etc, etc...

And also, is it advisable to install aTweaks as well?

Many thanks :)

I recommend using the new protection from weapon spells - the AI assumes they'll be useful and uses them quite frequently. Mantle was almost useless in vanilla as you can get +3 weapons in Athkatla by the end of the day (3 from the Copper Coronet/Slaver quests alone). It'll be harder to find +4 weapons if you play with Wisp's Item Randomiser.

I believe races with innate magic are supposed to cast instantly in 2ed. aTweaks fiends (should be installed after SCSII) are also well scripted. Most dragons etc. are impossible to interrupt in casting even in the original game, so I suspect the "cast like normal wizards" component makes thing easier rather than harder.

I tried the option to triple dragons' hp, but I feel it is too much (currently playing with doubled hp for dragons, this requires modifying the tp2).

Don't trust my advice (authors don't make good reviewers).

But, for what it's worth, I'd say

- don't use any of the "tactical" components, but install most of the "AI" components

- don't use beholders. (I maintain they're a fair AI implentation of BG2's beholders, but they're more powerful than the AD&D versions.)

- use option 3 for spellcasters (I find the vanilla spellcasters embarrassingly stupid, but options 1 and 2 make wizards very scary. If you find wizards too tedious even with option 3, either uninstall or use the advanced option to lower their levels a bit. (But persevere a bit first - getting the hang of wizards takes a little bit of practice)

- definitely use improved general AI and better calls for help

- probably hold off on improved vampires, not least because it's slightly buggy (new version is coming, honest)

- probably do use the "cast instantly" options, but don't use the "improved staying power" options

- on balance, you get a smoother experience if you install most or all of the spellcasting tweaks. They're reasonably low-key.

- the choice between my fiends and aTweaks' is a matter of taste (and I haven't tried aTweaks). Mine are a bit more 3rd-edition, and probably a bit tougher. aTweaks' are more 2nd edition, and are probably a bit more characterful and interesting (unsurprisingly: SCS tries to do a lot, and so is probably a bit less polished than a mod that's more focussed.)

Guest falalalalala

Thanks for the advice guys! Followed your suggestions and so far the game is a good challenge and I'm enjoying it.

I went with option 3 for spellcasters; I like how they're wimps no more and have a much more prominent role in fights. It took some adjusting to but I like it.

Guest Guest_Loz_*

Option 3 for spellcasters is how they should have been in the original game - and if they were I'm betting the wizards around the place wouldn't have been such high level. I like the 'cast like normal wizards' options for the various monsters, one of the main reasons why I usually still use scsii fiends over aTweaks fiends. Personally I use scsii as a fix/buff to poor AI and agree with the advice to install the AI components but not the tactical challenges - maybe just a few that appeal. I for example use the demiliches and jon in spellhold improvements. Can't comment on new features like vampires as I have stuck to an older version due to instability issues with tobex.

I do have a question about the potions option. Personally I find there are way too many potions given, has anyone tried playing without 'potions for NPCs'? How many potions do NPCs have anyway(from the original game)? Is it enough to still get the feeling that they are using potions regularly or do they basically never use them?

Guest Guest_InKal_*

they are always using potions. mind, magic protecting potions first and then strenght enhancing potions and of course healing potions. that's cool. only thieves are not so cool. ;]

"vanilla game" and "npc using potions" is a contradiction. ;]

imo the best option is "50% potions droppable".

vampires are ok (watch out for the ancients in firkraag's dungeon, ouch!) in ver19 but tanova is a real pain in the butt. "grggrgrrrrrrrrrr....i eat yourrrrrrrrr hearrrrrrrt out" for real.

Archived