WSM on ToTSC & Saga versions

plainab

wsm installs on totsc successfully with a printed error

ERROR: BIFF [h:\games\Black Isle\BG-ToTSC-4-1\/DATA/AREA110A.BIF] has file entries 0--14, cannot extract file at entry 15 (this BIFF and your KEY file don't match)
ERROR: BIFF [h:\games\Black Isle\BG-ToTSC-4-1\/DATA/AREA110A.BIF]: unable to extract file 15

wsm fails to install on saga and shows this

ERROR: BIFF [h:\games\Black Isle\BG-Saga\/DATA/AREA110A.BIF] has file entries 0--14, cannot extract file at entry 16 (this BIFF and your KEY file don't match)
ERROR: BIFF [h:\games\Black Isle\BG-Saga\/DATA/AREA110A.BIF]: unable to extract file 16

ERROR locating resource for 'COPY'
Resource [AR1010ht.bmp] not found in KEY file:
[./chitin.key]
Stopping installation because of error.
ERROR: [widescreen/areas] -> [widescreen] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("resource [AR1010ht.bmp] not found for 'COPY'"))

ERROR Installing [for the original Infinity Engine (CHOOSE THIS!)], rolling back to previous state

not sure what is going on and why one would fail and the other not

I have the same "safe error" about file 15 with my 6 CD set.

If you look at AREA110A.BIF with WinBiff, with the 6 CD set version, you'll notice that the file is supposed to contain 22 files, including the famous AR1010, the broken second level of the ice island that is restored by BG1 Unfinished Business.

The other valid files in ARE110A.BIF seem to be from the Seven Sun building (AR0601, AR0602 and AR0603) and the file is coming from CD 5. So it should not contain any file supposed to come from TotSC.

My assumption is that the key file in TotSC is broken and pretends there are too many files in AREA110A.bif.

If you ask WinBiff to extract all the content, it will extract only 18 files, all relative to AR0601, AR0602, AR0603 (mos, wed, tis, HT.bmp, LM.bmp, SR.bmp), but nothing about AR1010. Obviously, there is something wrong with the key files regarding the 4 AR1010 files supposed to be in this biff file.

The same file with vanilla Baldur's Gate does indeed only contain 18 files, according the WinBiff. And the bif file is exactly the same (date, size, content) in the two cases.

Maybe the Original Saga set is just even worse with the key file or the bif file.

I'm quite sure there specific issues with that version. For instance, the French version fails to copy two bif files on the hard disk if you make a full installation, and since they come from a .cab file (InstallShield ones, so not easy to extract), you can't even recover them easily. I think it is AREA4100 and AREA4300. To make a true full install, you have to make a simple install, where they are installed, then copy these two files somewhere safe, then unsinstall, reinstall with a full installation, and copy the two files by hand.

that's all good to know but how do we go about fixing it or getting around this issue?

would installing the UB restoration component prior to WSM get rid of these error reports and allow WSM to be installed on Saga?

guess I got something to test and if it does fix it then that restoration component goes into the fixpack...

UB's Ice Island Restoration component does indeed fix all the halting errors reported and allows WSM to be installed on the Original Saga version. Therefore it should also remove the passed errors reported on a ToTSC install.

The BG fix pack will have a Saga/ToTSC only version available for those who wish to apply WSM before UB

Archived