Strange arrow damage in BG1

chuft

A friend is playing BG1, and is using Baldurdash, Dudleyfixes (the first 8 fixpacks, not the numbered ones further down the page), Unfinished Business, and G3 Tweaks.

He routinely is getting absurdly high damage when firing normal arrows. His character is using a composite long bow (+2 damage) and has 2 pips in bows (+2 damage) and often gets 13, 15 or even 18 damage without rolling a 20 to hit (critical hit). He has tested this numerous times against his own party members to eliminate any chance of some strange monsters weakness to piercing damage, and is using normal mundane arrows (1-6 damage each). The way I figure it, without a critical the most he should be able to do is 10 damage (6+2+2).

Anybody ever run into this before, using any combination of mods? I wondering if these mods conflict, or whether his game is corrupted already (he's in Chapter 2).

Actually he just tested Kagain using a mundane axe in melee against a party member and Kagain twice did 15 points per hit. Using a mundane axe (1-8) +3 (specialization) +1 (strength) the most he should do is 12, yet is doing 15 routinely on non-critical hits.

It appears something is amiss with his install or the combo of mods and fixes he is using, I am wondering what it could be.

He told me he had put the difficulty slider to "second hardest" i.e. moved it to the right, but not all the way.

When he moved it down to the left of center - what should have been easier - the damage he did went way down, as if the slider was reversed in its effect. Very odd.

He told me he had put the difficulty slider to "second hardest" i.e. moved it to the right, but not all the way.

When he moved it down to the left of center - what should have been easier - the damage he did went way down, as if the slider was reversed in its effect. Very odd.

Personally I wouldn't mess with the difficulty slider. The game was designed and tested for the default setting. I think all the slider does is increase monster HP (while leaving player HP alone) and increases damage done by weapons (which would also affect player weapons). Hence the experience that was seen.

Archived