Horses...

BevH

What I get from Anomen's talks is that it is supposed to be assumed that the party rides wherever it can.  However, in the beginning I would think the party walks since you don't have much gp.  The way you have presented the LT, I don't think it needs to be changed, but there should be restrictions, maybe, on where it can occur?

Yes, the LT needs a few restrictions on where it can occur, like not Brynnlaw. :D I've pencilled that in, but since its a coding issue I haven't done anything concrete yet. As Cam said, the scripting isn't hard to do, so it can be implemented. EDIT: Why am I getting an odd sense of deja vu? :D

Just for the record, I think you probably should have this in an FAQ when you get ready to release Aklon (assuming you intend to make one) so that people who whine about horses will see that in fact, BG II does reference horses.
This is a must do. :D I'll eventually get around to writing a FAQ, when I get some Q's FA'd. :) I'll also put it in the readme, for all the good that'll do.

What I might do then, is to leave the dialogue as it is for now and see what the testers think, when I get to that stage. Hopefully we'll get a good enough cross-section that a solution presents itself.

*nods*  I think that would be best

*slightly raises her hand*  After all, I was one of the people that thought they just walked all over.

Heh, I do remember reading when people asked, "Why can't we ride a horse?" and BioWare simply said it would be a pain in the arse to code (I don't think they used the word impossible)

*nods*  I think that would be best

*slightly raises her hand*  After all, I was one of the people that thought they just walked all over.

Heh, I do remember reading when people asked, "Why can't we ride a horse?" and BioWare simply said it would be a pain in the arse to code (I don't think they used the word impossible)

I just always figured that all PCs were as lazy as me and bought a horse at the frst opportunity, replacing it as needed after theft, loss or consumation. :)

I assumed it was a mix of walking, riding etc... Never thought about it that much. But if you only make one or two references to horses it won't jar too much.
I'm fairly sure that this one is the only direct reference. I might just write the alternate version anyway in case its needed to be swapped out.

or coconut shells... 

:D

You could also think about hiring out some eagles. You know, the really big kind that often appear for no reason at the end of certain epic films to miraculously save the heroes…*ahm* All you have to do is cling on for a couple terrifying hours and, hey! you’re there. Beats dealing with horsedung. :cry:

I just always figured that all PCs were as lazy as me and bought a horse at the frst opportunity, replacing it as needed after theft, loss or consumation.  :D

Consummation with horses? Sounds Greek. :D

:D

That's goats... :cry:

You could also think about hiring out some eagles. You know, the really big kind that often appear for no reason at the end of certain epic films to miraculously save the heroes…*ahm* All you have to do is cling on for a couple terrifying hours and, hey! you’re there. Beats dealing with horsedung.
You should see what those eagles charge for waiting on standby. You've gotta be some sort of king to afford it. :D
You could also think about hiring out some eagles.  You know, the really big kind that often appear for no reason at the end of certain epic films to miraculously save the heroes…*ahm*  All you have to do is cling on for a couple terrifying hours and, hey! you’re there.  Beats dealing with horsedung.  :cry:

Actually there are Giant Eagles in AD&D 2nd Edition that are intelligent.

And in GURPs Fantasy you could play as one...or an Exalted Horse.

But what if the party has bicycles? Anomen could be referring to a bike when he speaks about riding. Bicycles would also be better than horses in many difficult situations - and you don't have to feed them.

The only problems would be the occasional ruptured tire, and a bunch of goblins stealing the bikes while the party is investigating a dungeon. But of course you could always leave Anomen behind to guard them.

Think about it, makes sense. :cry:

Archived