v7.1-v7.10 Feedback or To boldly go where Grogerson has gone before

Dakk

Okay, version 7.3 of the fixpack is out, fixing the multiplayer GUI anomaly, the glitched crossbow strings, and the hit-point-at-start issue (though if someone wouldn't mind testing the latter a bit, I'd appreciate it).

Picking up on a couple of other bits and pieces:

- Dakk: don't worry about the hp-at-start issue. A script runs immediately to set your hp to the correct total but you can pre-empt it if you're fast. (The problem was that the script itself was slightly inaccurate).

- "Hasn't installed correctly" message: try installing as Administrator

- instant-quit from main screen: yep, this is BG2 vanilla behaviour, so I can't edit it even if I'd want to.

- map crashes (or lack thereof): Eureka...

Okay, version 7.3 of the fixpack is out, fixing the multiplayer GUI anomaly, the glitched crossbow strings, and the hit-point-at-start issue (though if someone wouldn't mind testing the latter a bit, I'd appreciate it).

Hit-points-at-start

Barbarians do not get their full HP, they start with 14 HP (should be 16 HP for a Human with 18 CON @ lvl1). Verified with BG2, where a lvl 7 Barbarian starts with 112 HP.

Rangers and Monks fixed (they start with 14 HP and 10 HP which is correct). [Apologies for stating in my original report that Monks have D10 HP, they really have D8 HP]

Blade offensive spin

Description: Blades (Bard kit) ability Offensive spin does not give/show the bonus.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Start a single or multiplayer game

2. Create a Blade

3. Use Offensive Spin

Expected behaviour: Offensive Spin gives +2 to hit and to damage, +1 attacks per round [and other non-relevant effects], so character sheet should show two lower THAC0 and one extra attack.

Actual behaviour: THAC0 and number of attacks stay the same on the character sheet (I don't know if the effect is actually applied).

Other: This behaviour seems somewhat consistent with the non-fixpacked Offensive Spin;

Blade Spin Fixes

The blade's offensive spin ability had a few issues. The THAC0 bonus was being applied in a fashion such that it worked, but was not reflected in the character sheet. Blades using offensive spin could also be hasted, despite the description. The attacks per round and movement rate were being applied via a haste bonus, which caused a number of flaky issues, such as losing offhand attacks. The attacks per round and movement rate bonus are now applied explicitly. Defensive spin was not protecting against movement rate changes, allowing an exploit of a defensively spinning blade being free to move. One minor issue is that Melf's Meterors can now cause the number of attacks to 'overflow' and wrap around to only 0.5 attacks per round. As a workaround, blades can no longer cast Offensive Spin when wielding Minute Meteors.

Files altered: melfmet.itm, spcl521.spl, spcl522.spl, spcl741.spl

Files added: spcl521.spld, spcl741d.spl

Also note that as far as I can tell the +2 to damage is not visible anywhere, even in a fixpacked game.

Hit points: try unzipping the attached file into ice_tutu_tweaks/fixpack (it should replace the existing fixpack.tpa) and tell me if that solves the problem.

Blade: I'm pretty surprised by that, as I don't think I do anything to blades (and since the fixpack version of Offensive Spin should ship with the mod). I'll check it out.

fixpack.zip

Hit points: try unzipping the attached file into ice_tutu_tweaks/fixpack (it should replace the existing fixpack.tpa) and tell me if that solves the problem.

It works as intended now, nicely done. Also tried out different combinations of Barbarian Rage and the HP gain (due to +4 CON) was consistent and correct. :thumbsup:

I'm taking some time off BG1 Tweaks. I've played through to Kuldahar in both single and multiplayer with nothing noted. Well, mostly...

But it's only a minor thing...

Really!

In multiplayer I loaded a save within Kuldahar near the east exit. The two orogs closest to the exit were visible momentarily before vanishing. In other words, there was no attack so I didn't have to rerun my entrance into Kuldahar. I'll continue playing in multiplayer mode and see if any of the other "hidden" scripted attackers attack. But this does seem to promise this bug may be on its way to fixed.

More minor bugs:

Kontik's RIng of Wizardry doesn't seem to do whats advertised. (It should Double 1st and 2nd level mage spells). It does diddly squat :)

Lower Dorns Deep, Artisan quarters. In the NW corner, where you walk toward the 2 boarded up houses and the doors break open and umber hulks ambush the party - Umbar hulks take a long time to spawn (10sec+)

A random Crash when I entered the Black temple from the gardens side enterance (Zone AR8012)

Tobex.log reports pages upon pages of the following:

[Mon 09 Jan 2012 21:46:06] Assertion warning. Return Address: 0x9CA972 File: ChVidImage.cpp Line: 811 Expression: FALSE Message: GetCurrentCenterPoint: VidCell has no res associated with it.

[Mon 09 Jan 2012 21:46:06] Assertion warning. Return Address: 0x9CAFFB File: ChVidImage.cpp Line: 940 Expression: FALSE Message: GetCurrentFrameSize: VidCell has no res associated with it.

[Mon 09 Jan 2012 21:46:06] Assertion warning. Return Address: 0x9CA972 File: ChVidImage.cpp Line: 811 Expression: FALSE Message: GetCurrentCenterPoint: VidCell has no res associated with it.

[Mon 09 Jan 2012 21:46:06] Assertion warning. Return Address: 0x9CAFFB File: ChVidImage.cpp Line: 940 Expression: FALSE Message: GetCurrentFrameSize: VidCell has no res associated with it.

Tibbit more info from the windows event log for what its worth:

Application error, Event ID 1000

Faulting application name: BGMain.exe, version: 2.5.0.2, time stamp: 0x3b71b6f4

Faulting module name: BGMain.exe, version: 2.5.0.2, time stamp: 0x3b71b6f4

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x005ca8a8

Faulting process id: 0x1e00

Faulting application start time: 0x01ccceba84b1f20f

Faulting application path: C:\Games\IWDAdvanced\BGMain.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Games\IWDAdvanced\BGMain.exe

Report Id: 8481d27a-3ab7-11e1-bb1c-001a4d4441fe

I'm taking some time off BG1 Tweaks. I've played through to Kuldahar in both single and multiplayer with nothing noted. Well, mostly...

But it's only a minor thing...

Really!

In multiplayer I loaded a save within Kuldahar near the east exit. The two orogs closest to the exit were visible momentarily before vanishing. In other words, there was no attack so I didn't have to rerun my entrance into Kuldahar. I'll continue playing in multiplayer mode and see if any of the other "hidden" scripted attackers attack. But this does seem to promise this bug may be on its way to fixed.

To be honest, this is about as good as I think multiplayer is going to get. Given that the only reason to use the multiplayer mode is if you're playing with a friend, I don't think it's worth the hassle of trying to improve on status quo.

The answer is going to be very brief: I have no clue at all.

OK, I can say slightly more than that. There is a BG2 scripting command, "Deactivate()". If a creature runs "Deactivate(Myself)" it disappears: technically it remains at its location, but it doesn't have an animation, can't be detected by other scripts, and basically sits around doing nothing until its script tells it to "Activate(Myself)".

So far as I can tell the single-player savegame stores the activation status of creatures in itself. The multi-player savegame doesn't. This has virtually no effect in BG2 because Deactivate is hardly used. But IWD makes extensive use of an action whose nearest map into BG2 is Deactivate(). Large numbers of creatures in IWD are present from the start and Activated when needed - the Orogs that attack Kuldahar, for instance. (This is a big scripting style difference with BG2, where the standard approach would be to create the orogs by script.) So when you reload in Kuldahar, the Orogs' Deactivated status is lost, and they activate and attack.

The converter works around this by getting creatures to store their activation status in a global. Then if a creature's activation status doesn't match what the global says it should be, it deactivates. Hence the behaviour that Grogerson reports: you see the orogs for an instant, then they're gone.Theoretically I could work around this still further by giving them some kind of invisibility marker, but we're starting to get to the diminishing-returns stage, to say nothing of the risk of breaking the perfectly good single-player performance.

Reporting a bug of my own so I don't forget: if you enter Lysan's cave after speaking to Kresselack and go forward very quickly, the game hangs. Something Lysan is supposed to do obviously is happening a bit too slowly.

Overall (touch wood) I'm pretty pleased at how stable things seem so far. For the first time the mod actually seems playable - no critical bugs except the easily-fixed snafu with flickering monsters that masterpoobar caught.

Agreed. Very Good work David :)

One crash every now and again i can more than live with. Had a blast in The Severed Hand, upper and lower Dorns deep and the frost giant caves.

One thing to note though, the respawn times in the 1st Level of Upper Dorns Deep (blue mushroom guys & ettins - AR6001) seems very short.

By the time i had cleared the zone there were already a number of mushroom guys back already.

Not that I'm complaining, with a few summoned undead to adsorb thier ranged attacks they are easy exp :O)

Archived