[BG2:ToB] - Charm opcode oddities

aVENGER_(RR)

A small addendum to opcode #5. When enemies use a charm spell whose param2 is set to either 0,1,1000 or 1001 (i.e. WIZARD_CHARM_PERSON) on a green circled character, the victim becomes hostile but does not attack. This is how charm is supposed to work in PnP. Only domination should give the caster complete control over the victim. For reference, all charm spells work in a similar fashion in IWD2.

BTW, the aforementioned behavior does not work in reverse. I.e. when a green circled character casts Charm Person on a red circled character, he gets complete control of the victim's actions.

Possibly, but that wouldn't explain why all the other charm/dominations spells work fine for enemies in this regard.

To illustrate the point, have an enemy cast WIZARD_CHARM_PERSON on a PC and see what happens. Then have him cast WIZARD_DIRE_CHARM and compare the results. Finally, have a PC do the same to an enemy. You'll notice that there is a difference.

In IWD2, the charm spell (spwi104) changes the script of the target to 00SSCHRM.

In IWD2, the dominate person spell doesn't use opcode 05. (Though the other opcode's effect may very well be the same).

So, there is a lot to explore before I jump to a conclusion.

Archived