WTP Familiars (revised Find Familiar spell)

Guest Klondike

Hi, I was wondering if this is still active?  I have also been having issues with magic resist (Playing as NE sorceror, so I think the imp is causing the trouble?).  It will gradually go up until it maxes out and doesn't leave even if the familiar dies and I summon a different one.  EE Kepper tells me that lots of permanent magic resistance modifiers are being stacked onto my character.  I'm playing in EE with lots of other mods, if that matters.

Hello!

The person who worked on the EE port of my modification is @flamewing. I don't remember encountering this kind of problem with my latest version of the modification.

But it has already been reported in 2018 (see here: https://github.com/flamewing/WTPFamiliars/issues/1) and it doesn't seem there has been any kind of progress in solving the matter.

Edited by Salk

Has anyone encountered a problem in BG:EE where releasing the familiar from the pack, will not summon the familiar at all?

Even though it isn't summoned, the familar item will disappear from inventory and you will not be able to summon another one.

In BG2:EE, this problem doesn't offer. I'm trying to figure out why there's a difference.

The guy in charge of the EE port has not been active for quite some time.

I am the author of the original non-EE version and never met that kind of issue during my testing but I am not even sure what you mean with "In BG2:EE this problem doesn't offer". You mean it happens in BG:EE but not BG2:EE?

Edited by Salk

Please Endarire do not spread such blatant disinformation. It's the second time you post to write that Tome&Blood include this modification or something similar.

It's completely false.

Not to mention the author is myself and it doesn't seem like I'm so inactive.

Hey guys! I'm just dipping my hands into IE modding, but I wrote a small patch to fix the issue @CajunAzn reported (and two other issues I reported on flamewing's GitHub).

To summarize, the reason this is happening is that BG:EE's baldur.bcs is not getting patched with the code that handles the global variables set when the "Release Familiar" ability is used.

The installer looks for the block of code in the file [oldfam.baf] to replace with the code in [newfam.baf]. But the replacement search fails because one line in BG2:EE's baldur.bcs

MoveGlobalObject("fampsd",Player1)  // Pseudo-dragon

is changed in BG:EE's baldur.bcs to

MoveGlobalObject("fampsd",Player1) // Pseudo Dragon

Yes, it's weird that REPLACE_BCS_BLOCK will care what the value of the comment string is, but by patching the .tp2 and adding a new variable %pseudo% to [oldfam.baf], I was able to fix it.

MoveGlobalObject("fampsd",%famsummoner%)  // %pseudo%

Here's a link to the patch:

https://github.com/flamewing/WTPFamiliars/files/9079650/wtpfamiliars-bgeepatch.zip

Happy gaming! 🦊

Edited by artyfox
fixed code quotes

@Salk, your mod holds a special place in my heart (the familiars are the most "animal-like" ever! ❤️), so it's my pleasure. 

I would like to help make this mod even better. Were there any changes you made, not included in @flamewing's version?

I also thought of a couple things that might be improved on:

• many script triggers interrupt whatever the Player or Familiar might be doing (eg. the familiar stops attacking when the player moves close) 
  • some of tables for experience and alignment restrictions could be externalized to .2da for easier debugging/customization

(And would like to hear anyone else's suggestions for this awesome mod!)