iOS port of GemRB (iPad/iPhone)

SyntaxError

Can someone help me? I did the jailbreaking to my ipad2, no problems, and after dowloading the latest build I tried to install it on itunes but don't know how. It says on this site "Double click GemRB.ipa to add the application into iTunes." but that only opens up the folder, I don't know how to add it. I tried add file and add folder to library from the menus in itunes but nothing happens. Also I'm I suppose to unzip the content once I downloaded it? It's really not clear what to do after downloading the build, please help a noob!

im sorry i cant help you. I dont know what windows or whatever is doing, but it sounds like you are decompressing the IPA; you need to NOT decompress it and add the raw downloaded file to iTunes. You should search google for how to add an IPA to itunes from windows. I dont know the answer nor do i own an ipad or iphone.

I figured it out! I had to choose "save as" and then add .ipa to the file name! It came out as one file after that, what do you know!

edit:

It's on itunes now, 13.5 Mb, but it won't let me sync it! I get an unable to install error, and I am jailbroken btw.

Appsync I think is the other one

But yay! Finally got it all working perfectly, great job on this! I've never played through any of the IE games before and the ipad is much more convenient for me than my PC, and my bluetooth keyboard should make it a little easier than pure touch screen navigation.

But yay! Finally got it all working perfectly, great job on this! I've never played through any of the IE games before and the ipad is much more convenient for me than my PC, and my bluetooth keyboard should make it a little easier than pure touch screen navigation.

Hmm. I think i would find using a keyboard with iPad more cumbersome than pure touch input. Perhaps you aren't familiar with the touch inputs?

If you are, I welcome any ideas for improvement.

Hello there. I've been lurking in this thread, and its predecessors, for some time now.

I can't help but think that portable Baldur's Gate is just about the coolest thing ever (after portable Ultima VII, of course!)

I don't have much experience in modding the BG games, but over the past few weeks I've been playing around with my old installation discs and various combinations of mods. It's been enjoyable, though mind that I haven't actually managed to get GemRB to work on my iPhone 4S yet.

The pre-SDL 2.0 builds suffered from the previously reported graphics corruption and quarter-screen issues that rendered the games unplayable.

I tried different installations and always got the same results, so I figured that it wasn't something that I broke due to improper modding / iPhone installation.

I've been similarly tinkering with the post-SDL 2.0 builds and am happy to report improvement on the display end of things. I have my current BGT build set to 800x600 via the widescreen mod. The game doesn't take the full screen and is somewhat off-center, but it's much better than it was in the older builds. Unfortunately, though I can tap through the logo / splash videos, once I get to the BG1 / BG2 game selection screen, the touch screen seems to stop accepting inputs and I'm unable to proceed to any of the games. It isn't a total hang since the music keeps on playing and I'm able to use the home button and a pre-configured Activator-enabled gesture to exit the game.

I was wondering if you needed someone to actively 'beta test' builds on an iPhone 4S. I don't have a ton of free time (usually just a couple of hours in the evening, EST), but I do have some experience beta testing software, am a reasonably knowledgeable tinkerer (having soft- and hard-modded various gaming handhelds and consoles over the years), and am more than willing to do my small part in bringing the retina iOS port of GemRB to a playable state.

For a bit of background, I installed the 3-disc version of BG1 that includes TotSC built in, and the 5-disc (IIRC) version of BG2 + ToB that form the "Baldur's Gate II Collection" released many years ago. Both are U.S. versions. BG1 already had the latest patch, but I proceeded to patch BGII myself. Then I started with the mods, in this order: Widescreen Mod v3.05 (configured for GemRB at resolution 800x600); BG2 Fix Pack v9; Baldur's Gate Trilogy v1.13; BG1 NPC Pack v20; BG1 NPC Music Pack v5; BG1 Unfinished Business v12; and finally BG2 Unfinished Business v19.

It took a little effort on my part to figure out how to get it all properly zipped up and working on the iOS GemRB (BGT.BG2 = bad; bgt.bg2 = good), but that didn't prove insurmountable. My iPhone 4S is running 5.0.1 jailbroken via Absinthe and running the latest Corona untether package available in Cydia (1.08 IIRC). I used a 5.0.x compatible version of AppSync to get iTunes to install GemRB on my phone.

As far as I've been able to determine, I've done things correctly. I still can't play the games, but at least I can get to the title screen.

The title screen has been loading ever since the first post-SDL 2.0 build of GemRB, but as of v7.0-416, I can't get beyond that.

I'd be happy to discuss further and be involved in tests, as according to my reading of this thread and earlier ones, the iOS simulator used to test the various GemRB builds can yield different results than the same builds running on actual iDevices; and it seems that the iPhone retina devices in particular have proven more problematic than the iPads.

Keep up the great work, folks! And many thanks from a brand new fan of your admirable efforts! :)

Edit - PS: I've got installations of BG1 and BG2 backed up in different stages, for testing purposes. With just a few clicks of a mouse, I can load up separate 'vanilla' installations of BG1 and BG2 (with expansions and official patches, without mods), BG1 and BG2 with some mods, and of course the fully decked out BGT installation. Just as an FYI...

Archived