[ANDROID] TTF Fonts Showing Up Distorted -- Please Advise.

haints

I'm using the widescreen mod with PST which looks great but the fonts are a little too small to read so I'm trying to use TTF fonts instead. I think the paths are right since the new fonts show up ... but the fonts don't look right. They're a little too close together and they look like they're super low resolution and slightly distorted ... I tried the point size at 14, 16 and 18 but it didn't help.

I just grabbed a file off my PC to use--something like Times.ttf--and I'm wondering if I need more than that single .ttf file.

Also all the instructions I've seen say to replace the font labeled "normal" in the fonts.2da file but my fonts.2da file has no such listing

Finally, just to double check, I know I'm supposed to create my own "fonts" folder but where, exactly, is it supposed to go?

Any advice would be most appreciated. I can try to attach a screen capture if need be.

try editing override/pst/fonts.2da and change the first_char to 32. that should fix the spacing.

It doesn't matter where your font is as long as it is readable by GemRB. I don't know what PSTs equivalent of the NORMAL font is. Pixilation is probably partly caused by the rendering method we are currently using. I think we are using a simple binary palette with a single color for opaque and a transparent color key. If you use a different font you should get better results, however.

Okay I'm clearly doing something wrong. As an experiment, I deleted my "fonts" folder and I still get the same distorted font. I don't think it is using the font that I'm adding at all.

Here's what I've done so far:

Added this line to the .cfg file:

"CustomFontPath=/system/fonts/"

(I just realized that I don't know what "system" refers to above, since I have no "system" folder in the gemrb directory).

Changed this line in the override/pst/fonts.2da file

0 FONTDLG 1 33 255 FONTDLG 14 0 0xffffffff

To this:

0 FONTDLG 1 32 255 TIMES 18 0 0xffffffff

Added a "fonts" folder to the main gemrb file, containing the TIMES.ttf file.

Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

EDIT: I'm going to try changing that "CustomFontPath=/system/fonts/" line to see if I can get it to point more accurately toward the correct directory ...

EDIT AGAIN: Okay, that worked. "system" was obviously a placeholder that I should have replaced. Now that I have I'm seeing fonts showing up correctly--and they look great!

Archived