New Baldur's gate?

Haplo

Legal issues will probably stop them from actually including user created content in the new game.

Not really. Demi, Ardanis and Mike - as main authors - would just relinquish their rights [also, add fine print] to IR to the dev/publisher. A few caveats here, a few provisions there and a bunch of credits at the end; done.

It still might not be cost effective when you have to pay a lawyer to write up those contracts.

Other games have included fan-made mods in re-releases, the Civilization series being a good example. They aren't included in the core game obviously but are optional add-ins under a separate menu. So it is not really a legal issue unless some lawyers decide to make it an issue by not doing what they need to do to address it. It's more like a logistics issue.

in one sense I'd like to see a nice toolset for making mods, but in the other sense toolsets tend to make things be this mod or that mod when it comes down to individual files and not both blended together like we can have via weidu

Now if they took Near Infinity and fixed it up to be compatible with this EE, then we'd have all the offsets we need for weidu ^^

My source is one of the developers. :)

Quick amendment: he was specifically talking about mod NPCs, but it was implied to be true for all mods. I'm pretty sure this is the case, but I'm not 100% certain.

Then you should point him to UFO Extraterrestials GOLD or other enchanced games which implemented fan made content without having to cope with any legal issues. What Miloch said: just contact the respective authours, obtain their permission and figure out the best way to implement the content in -game or as an optional packs.

I think that it would be a terrible idea for them to include user created content directly in the game. The way things are done today are something like this: a modder creates a mod, releases the mod, users download the mod, install it and play it.

If they (Beamdog)start including mods it will create a bulky, annoying extra chain link in the way things are done.

But as has been said before, not including say IR would be pretty ignorant. The amount of overpowered/broken/useless/not-matching-descriptions/non-consistent weapons and items in the game is quite high; to re-release those very weapons and items twelve (!) years later is folly.

As a participant (as in active on the forum) in the development of Spell Revisions - and having proof-read the description of every spell in the game - I can say the same goes for spells.

Legal issues will probably stop them from actually including user created content in the new game.

Not really. Demi, Ardanis and Mike - as main authors - would just relinquish their rights [also, add fine print] to IR to the dev/publisher. A few caveats here, a few provisions there and a bunch of credits at the end; done.

It still might not be cost effective when you have to pay a lawyer to write up those contracts.

I'm sure I'm not the only jurist willing to donate pro-bono hours to see mod content in BGEE ;)

perhaps they don't have to include existing mods cause they're looking at existing mods and seeing what we as players have determined is incorrect. so that they can go back and correct/adjust the base game.

Bueh, I've been off for 2 days due to Fallas and look all that's been going on.... :)

Since I'm a noob modder, I can't really have an opinion in the matter but for that I can only hope that all that I learnt this past 2 months with my First NPC mod, I won't have to unlearn it and start all over!!!

Tho it would be really cool if they would use the most usefull mods or at least include them as an option.

I'm sure I'm not the only jurist willing to donate pro-bono hours to see mod content in BGEE ;)

I would, assuming I pass that horrible Bar exam this summer! :(

When it comes to stuff like IR and Divine Remix, I... honestly wonder if they even need to negotiate with modders to get basic corrections (and more religions) into the game. Anymore than they would need to if they decided that hey, maybe Solaufein should be romanceable after all, let's write our own. Especially if they're changing the coding enough that they'd need to tweak some things anyway. It might be easier to redo stuff like that themselves.

Archived